Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed. Gas man or sparky. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GOONER

I am 27 years old and the over the last few years have been thinking seriously about getting a trade under my belt. With apprenticeships hard to come by for someone my age, I took a level 2 gas course last year part time while trying to find someone to take me on as a mate which didn't go too well. I had the odd job here and there with an uncle but as he lives in a different city it was hard to get regular work and I decided to quit my course as It wasn't worth paying the fees for the second year when I was behind the rest of the class as they all had work.

The other day I get an email from my local council offering fully paid apprenticeships in plumbing/gas, electrics and bricklaying and joinery. I picked up a couple of forms but cant decide whether to apply for and go back into gas or train to be an electrician.

I wonder if people can advise me on the pros and cons of both. Money earning potential, which job is easier to learn (bearing in mind I have a very basic understanding of gas and no knowledge of electrics whatsoever), which trade is more physically demanding ? and also which trade is it harder or easier to find work in?

I have an appointment at the connexions office on tuesday so really need to make my decision by then as this opportunity may not come around again so thank you for your help guys.

become a sparky,the gas industry is dead,way to over saturated and no ones making money anymore i counted 5 new vans in my area today not one of them a sparks i dont want you put off but its the way the industry is

i bet you can count more plumbing vans than spaky vans on a given day, try it!.

become a sparky,the gas industry is dead,way to over saturated and no ones making money anymore i counted 5 new vans in my area today not one of them a sparks i dont want you put off but its the way the industry is

thanks, is it harder to become a sparky than a gas engineer, bearing in mind I already know a little about gas/plumbing but nothing about electrics ?

Last edited by a moderator:
i bet you can count more plumbing vans than spaky vans on a given day, try it!.

i think we're from the same region/city. Are you saying there is more of a need for sparkys in notts/east midlands than gas fitters

As a country we're not in need of either!! More testing/inspection with electricity - once a year - but harder exams in gas/plumbing - once every five years. Costs of both can be significant but I'd say it's probably more expensive to be an electrician.

It is very difficult to find a job as either a plumber or electrician. Much easier to learn the trade than find work in it.

Best of luck though, whatever you decide!!

i think we're from the same region/city. Are you saying there is more of a need for sparkys in notts/east midlands than gas fitters
i know a lot of sparkys here with small and large business and not one struggling for work. i had the chance once for an appreniceship with one of them, the guy who stole it from me is now a millionaire driving an a.martin at 38...made from the same guy i was going to do it with. best money is in shop/light commercial and testing. everyone and his dog will try some plumbing but not many have a clue about electrics.

As a country we're not in need of either!! More testing/inspection with electricity - once a year - but harder exams in gas/plumbing - once every five years. Costs of both can be significant but I'd say it's probably more expensive to be an electrician.

It is very difficult to find a job as either a plumber or electrician. Much easier to learn the trade than find work in it.

Best of luck though, whatever you decide!!

Thanks. I would like to ask you though, if you were faced with this decision which one would you chose ? I mean it's either one of them or i stay working in my customer service job were i earn about 12k a year. I need to do one and I am happy to pay the 2 grand required to take the apprenticeship as long as I am guaranteed a comfortable living and a career for life. At my age I feel like time is running out, I dont want the rest of my life to be a struggle and end up working until i'm 70

The other day I get an email from my local council offering fully paid apprenticeships in plumbing/gas, electrics and bricklaying and joinery.

Read more: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/p...vice-needed-gas-man-sparky.html#ixzz25lbX0dXr

This statement set off the alarm bells, given that there would be at least 10-100 people going for every plumbing, gas or electrical apprenticeship. Last year 24,000 applied for the 220 places at BT and 65,000 applied for 600 apprenticeships at British Gas. Young people are already turning their backs on university | Education | The Guardian

The following statement confirms that there is something amis here:
I am happy to pay the 2 grand required to take the apprenticeship as long as I am guaranteed a comfortable living and a career for life.

Apprenticeships do not need payment, only courses that lead to apprenticeships. It seems the wording of the council advertisement has caused some confusion.

There is evidence in this thread of why to avoid the building services industry in general. Stick with your existing job and watch as people are left high and dry from these scams.

This statement set off the alarm bells, given that there would be at least 10-100 people going for every plumbing, gas or electrical apprenticeship. Last year 24,000 applied for the 220 places at BT and 65,000 applied for 600 apprenticeships at British Gas. Young people are already turning their backs on university | Education | The Guardian

The following statement confirms that there is something amis here:

Apprenticeships do not need payment, only courses that lead to apprenticeships. It seems the wording of the council advertisement has caused some confusion.

There is evidence in this thread of why to avoid the building services industry in general. Stick with your existing job and watch as people are left high and dry from these scams.

sorry for the confusion. This is not one of those "learn a trade quick" scams like train 4 trade ect. This is directly from my local authority Nottinghamshire county council. The only reason I have to pay is because I am over 18. 16-18 year olds train free and I was told by the woman I spoke to that I have the option to have the ÂŁ2000 deducted from my weekly wage. The will pay me ÂŁ160-ÂŁ250 per week depending on age and trade and will obviously send me to college for a couple of days a week while the rest of the week I will be on site.

Here is the job advertisement. https://www.jobsatnch.org.uk/JobDetails.aspx/1027/Craft_Apprentices?Lang=1

Gooner

Its seems like a legit advert for apprentices in joinery, bricklaying, plumbing and electrical.

My advice is to avoid plumbing and electrical - reason being that they are too easy, too much fast track and there is a huge oversupply - can't stress this enough.

If you consider joinery and brick laying - these are occupations that certainly can't be learned on a six week course like gas, electrical and plumbing. Plus they are probably not as difficult to secure employment as the plumbing and gas occupations (only opinion).

In addition, joinery and brick laying will be avoided like by the older crew who are ex-services, career changers, deluded vocational prospectors because its 'hard work' in the main and not furnished with fast-buck type easy fixes... and joinery and bricklaying are more a young person's game (I accept that plumbing is hard work, but those coming into the industry seem more inclined to the easy concept of gas - sticking a probe in a flue type job.)

There will also be less competition in securing an apprenticeship for bricks and joinery - rather than the droves of misguided students wishing for plumbing and electrical.

Good luck! and well done for finding the advertisement.

Hi,

I don't think anyone was doubting your statement that the job existed, maybe it's my age but I sometimes think people are on the defensive when they start posting links especially when not asked for further information.

In truth nobody can answer your question except you, we are all different at 14 I thought the sun shone out every electricians a## maybe that was because I knew one who had a brief case for a tool box and was always clean, no smell of boss white or shine of the thighs of his trousers.

I come from a different time when a trade (any trade) was a licence to a life of good earnings in almost any country we wanted to go, we could be our own bosses without much effort and the money was great.

At that time we laughed at the other apprentices who worked for the local authorities, well hindsight being 20/20 vision I can see the benefits they had over us, the steady pay cheque great pension and never having to break a sweat because any big work was contracted out.

I know its different today however as I understand it you are only limited by your own ambition, every training course you want to do is at your finger tips, in some cases they encourage further education to the point that they pay your fees.

So what you like to do?

In your year of class room training did you enjoy any of it?

We can't tell you which path to take I know I couldn't influence either of my Sons and they were living at home the time they made their decisions and being honest I'm glad they chose their own way as that abnsolved me of all responsibility.

Either apprenticeship can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it, you can barely scrape through or go at your future trade with the enthusiasm and energy that can open the door to higher skills / qualifications, you are young so you have the chance to make mistakes and learn from them.

I would get the application forms for both you have until the 3rd of October to make your mind up, maybe go back to the college and look around you, go to other colleges and look around them too find out all you can about the practical sides of working as a plumber / electrician.

Best of luck with whichever choice you make.

You can make a good life out of most trades, the person is the crux, not the trade. Aim to be the best at whatever you do an you will be paid off well.

IF you know lads in trades,i would pick 1 that they are not doing that way you can advertise multi-trade and give each other work

Gooner

Its seems like a legit advert for apprentices in joinery, bricklaying, plumbing and electrical.

My advice is to avoid plumbing and electrical - reason being that they are too easy, too much fast track and there is a huge oversupply - can't stress this enough.

If you consider joinery and brick laying - these are occupations that certainly can't be learned on a six week course like gas, electrical and plumbing. Plus they are probably not as difficult to secure employment as the plumbing and gas occupations (only opinion).

In addition, joinery and brick laying will be avoided like by the older crew who are ex-services, career changers, deluded vocational prospectors because its 'hard work' in the main and not furnished with fast-buck type easy fixes... and joinery and bricklaying are more a young person's game (I accept that plumbing is hard work, but those coming into the industry seem more inclined to the easy concept of gas - sticking a probe in a flue type job.)

There will also be less competition in securing an apprenticeship for bricks and joinery - rather than the droves of misguided students wishing for plumbing and electrical.

Good luck! and well done for finding the advertisement.

Thank you for this post, very helpful and informative. Joinery and bricklaying have never been trades that have crossed my mind before but you have given me something to think about. I suppose I've got just under a month to research and make and informed decision so I think I'm just gonna take my time and look into things further.

Hi,

I don't think anyone was doubting your statement that the job existed, maybe it's my age but I sometimes think people are on the defensive when they start posting links especially when not asked for further information.

In truth nobody can answer your question except you, we are all different at 14 I thought the sun shone out every electricians a## maybe that was because I knew one who had a brief case for a tool box and was always clean, no smell of boss white or shine of the thighs of his trousers.

I come from a different time when a trade (any trade) was a licence to a life of good earnings in almost any country we wanted to go, we could be our own bosses without much effort and the money was great.

At that time we laughed at the other apprentices who worked for the local authorities, well hindsight being 20/20 vision I can see the benefits they had over us, the steady pay cheque great pension and never having to break a sweat because any big work was contracted out.

I know its different today however as I understand it you are only limited by your own ambition, every training course you want to do is at your finger tips, in some cases they encourage further education to the point that they pay your fees.

So what you like to do?

In your year of class room training did you enjoy any of it?

We can't tell you which path to take I know I couldn't influence either of my Sons and they were living at home the time they made their decisions and being honest I'm glad they chose their own way as that abnsolved me of all responsibility.

Either apprenticeship can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it, you can barely scrape through or go at your future trade with the enthusiasm and energy that can open the door to higher skills / qualifications, you are young so you have the chance to make mistakes and learn from them.

I would get the application forms for both you have until the 3rd of October to make your mind up, maybe go back to the college and look around you, go to other colleges and look around them too find out all you can about the practical sides of working as a plumber / electrician.

Best of luck with whichever choice you make.

Again thank you for this post, you've helped me a lot. I know the decision is mine at the end of the day I just hope I make the right one. I did enjoy the gas work I did in the past but just feel that I might enjoy electrics more. Like you said though I have just under month to make my decision. Hopefully whichever I decide I get accepted

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice needed. Gas man or sparky. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock