Discuss Advice needed - change of career in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does everyone want a 'career change' to get into Plumbing?

I want someone to post a thread about a 'career change' to get out of Plumbing.

Any success stories?

Why does everyone want a 'career change' to get into Plumbing?

I want someone to post a thread about a 'career change' to get out of Plumbing.

Any success stories?

Honest answer is that the industry is swamped with immigrants , firemen doing it as a second job and Everyman and their dog who wants a career change joining the industry with thoughts it's an easy path to riches. Sorry to be so blunt but at 38, no expierience, the only real chance you've got is if you know someone who is willing to take you on especially the gas route. Very very few working gas engineers are going to train someone, look at the responses etc already on the forum only in the last few days. Negative response but honest and truthful.

Thanks to everyone who offered there advise, but it would seem that I have had a luck break.

Decided to go and have a chat with a few local companies, I thought a face to face chat would be better than a phone call or email, and the second place a visited I got chatting with the md in the reception and it would seem I landed on my feet, I explained my situation which he was very sympathetic to, and offered me a job there and then, obviously subject to references etc, agreed to stump up half the costs of training with the remainder after 12 months of employment. Safe to say very happy with the outcome.

That is indeed very lucky! I'm assuming that with a reception it's a decent sized company then? You must come across very well if they offered you a job just like that. If you work hard I am sure you will make it!

It's sort of true what people say on here. In my opinion there is no shortage of plumbers, indeed there are over 200 in Lincoln, meaning 1 plumber for every 750 people in the city..

There is a huge shortage of good plumbers though. By that I mean plumbers who actually answer their phone, do the job correctly first time, look after customer's property and who turn up on time or call ahead if running late. Notice that only one of these relates to a tradesperson's ability to do the actual job. The professionalism is what allows you to charge top rates in the market and earn a good living. In my experience it's not really something you can teach either, people are either that way minded or they aren't.

The first year will be critical and you will need to learn a lot very quickly. Providing you have a good work ethic though then it's definitely possible. I got into the industry in 2008 and went straight from doing a fast track course to running my own business. It was a baptism of fire but definitely worth it now.

I learned so much from this forum early on and would definitely advise you to stick around and ask questions! 9 years on I have no regrets at all.

Keiran.

Hi guys, I am a qualified engineer of 20yrs and changing career to help the plumbing trade guys get more awareness or work within their trade. But first I need to ask some questions to really hone into what some issues are.......
1. Whats the one main job that brings in the money for plumbers, a job you would prefer to do more off?
2. When you think about your trade, what keeps you awake at night worrying about your job?
3. Within your trade, what is your current situation? and what is your desired situation?
4. What is the most profitable part of your trade?
5. What is the ball ache part of your trade?
6. What are your top 3 daily frustrations within your trade? How could you improve it?
7. Do you rely mainly on word of mouth for your jobs?
8. Do many plumbers use social media, website etc? If no, why not?
9. Please feel free to add anything you think may help me!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Tezza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice needed - change of career in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock