Search the forum,

Discuss In need of some help/advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, I am looking for some help/advice on a problem (feels like a nightmare) I am having.

I recently completed on a house a few weeks back, since then I discovered a small brown patch on the ceiling which had been covered with paint... I poked a screwdriver through the ceiling and it was wet slightly. Then I took a patch out of the ceiling and it seemed the chipboard was slightly damp.

Reluctantly I removed the toilet and took some tiles up in the bathroom (only 3 years old) and the floor was really wet/rotten underneath the tiles!

What I am confused/worried about is I am yet to find the actual cause of all this. I feel it could either must be the
1. Flexi pan connector? (no bad smells though)
2. Cistern down pipe connector?
3. Could it be the shower screen? the seal was knackered which I have changed, but I am not sure.

I have checked the cistern cold feed, and the the sink pipes and they seem fine, but I am scratching my head at what has caused this amount of damage as it seems it must have been going on for years.

I have attached some images of before and after along with the pan connector etc.

Any help from anyone, or any pointers would be greatly appreciated so I can put my mind to rest!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211130-203230_Rightmove.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-203230_Rightmove.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20211130-201803_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-201803_Gallery.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20211130-201835_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-201835_Gallery.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20211130-201829_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-201829_Gallery.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20211130-201811_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-201811_Gallery.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211128_140635.jpg
    20211128_140635.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 4
With that type of flush cone your not going to push it In easily so chances are that’s your leak source

With that type of flush cone your not going to push it In easily so chances are that’s your leak source

Thanks for your reply shaun, is there a better flush cone to buy? It seems it must be difficult to tell if it's secure once the toilet is pushed back.. I have seen some threads advised to put plumbers mait/silicone in between the fins

Ok no worries, I will order one of these. Some threads mention the flush pipe can be too short etc so hopefully all is good there and it's just the seal as it's all tiled in

We have another one but the house is empty until we get some problems sorted

Agree with Shaun. I much prefer the rubber flush cones to the clear plasticcy ones, and prefer the external type, when the type of pan will accept one, though that's more an item you'll find in a plumbers' merchant. Don't use Mait or silicone - I think both would do more harm than good. You could use a smear of silicone grease as an assembly aid, but you run the risk of it making the cone slippery. Toolstation has (or had last time I checked) some reasonable flush cones if you want an alternative to ebay.

As for the shower screen leaking, you'd be surprised how many people will have a shower and leave pools of water on the floor.

In your case, I would fill the cistern and keep it filled and see if there is any water leaking.
There is a lot of damage, and I would assume that there is a constant water leak.
Concealed cisterns do have their issues.

Keep the cistern full of water and see if you can see any water leaking while the wall is open and the floor up.

Reply to In need of some help/advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock