Search the forum,

Discuss Advice for a new start-up? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

monkeywrenchps

Hi all!

I've not so long since finished re-training as a plumber, after deciding to settle down to family life after 10 years working on the rigs. I've just completed an 8 week intensive course and have come away with my C&G qualifications and NVQ level 2 in Plumbing and heating, as well as Water regs, Part L and Legionella qualifications and am setting up my own plumbing business.

I've no training as yet on boilers or gas - money's getting a bit thin after forking out for the course and tools and gear, as well as not having been earning for the last 3 months - but will hopefully do this next year.

I'm pretty clued up on basic plumbing but am a bit mystified when it comes to things like electrics e.g. fitting showers and pumps. The water side of things I have no issue with and I'm pretty happy I can change out basic things like motorised valves but was wondering if there's any advice to be had from the old hands out there? I'm contemplating doing a Part P full scope course but it's extra time and money that I could really do without spending at the moment. That being said, I don't want to have to tell potential customers who call with shower related issues that I'm a bit clueless and they should try somebody else as it's hardly going to make for a good reputation, especially as I'm trying to grow the business.

Any help and advice gratefully received!

No amount of responses will help if you're clueless with electrics. You need to take the part P.
Without it you shouldn't be touching the electrics and your work won't be insured, moreover if you get it wrong in something like an electric shower - you could kill someone.
Until you get part P just steer clear of electric jobs.

I wasn't going to touch any electric jobs till I was qualified for those exact reasons but I was wondering how essential it is. Does a lot of the work you guys do involve electrics or is it worthwhile getting chummy with a sparky in the meantime until the business grows a bit and then go and do the part P, or just take the hit now and get qualified while the business is still just trickling in?

I'd see how you get on with non-electric jobs first, I had a sparky mate who did all my electrics until I was qualified, I took a hit in profit but nto as much of a hit as the cost of electric training.
I wouldn't throw any more money at it until you know it's for you.
That may not be the answer you're looking for and I genuinely wish you well, but an 8 week training does'nt make a plumber.

I think you'll need to worry more about about your advertising and bringing the pennies in right now before you take the next step and do your part p. Get established with what you are capable of doing first and then progress onto more advanced skills. You can still install the water part of showers and get a spark to help with the electrics.

Think of the here and now and get your advertising done and the word out that you exist or you'll sink before you can swim.

Cheers guys. That's pretty much the way i was thinking myself but it's easy to get overwhelmed in the beginning. Good to have some advice based on experience to re-affirm.

That may not be the answer you're looking for and I genuinely wish you well, but an 8 week training does'nt make a plumber.

Everyone has to start somewhere and with a BSc, 10 years dealing with fluids on offshore drilling rigs, fault finding training as a Royal Signals Technician in the TA for 3 years as well as NVQ and C&Gs qualifications under my belt, I think I'm in a good position to start out and then learn & perfect the trade as I go (hopefully with helpful advice along the way from experienced guys such as yourself).

Whilst I can appreciate the pride you obviously take in your trade training, not everyone has the luxury of being able to do lengthy apprenticeships when there's bills to pay and a family to support.

hi,
what were you doing on the rigs??
i ask as friend of mine seems to float back and forth from commercial pipefitting to petrol chemical offshore. cant understand why someone would do a 8 week plumbing course unless they had a fitting background.

I personally would only take on jobs that you are comfy with e.g advertise 30 mile up the road as if you have the odd puddle its not on your doorstep that way you wont wreck your reputation

I was a Drilling Fluids Engineer, or if you're in the oil business, we're quite often refered to as "Mud men", lol. Sounds like your friend works on the production side of things which does tend to be a bit nicer than the exploration/drilling side of things I used to do, which generally takes you from 1 sh*t hole part of the world to another.

Having spent the last 2 years down in the Falklands working 5 weeks on, 3 weeks off, I thought it was time for a change (Was starting to put too much pressure on the family life and tbh I was p*ssed off with the time away, travel etc), that lets me spend more time at home. I've always fancied learning a trade and being my own boss, and having some savings has let me take the time and get set up so bingo,bongo here I am. :teeth_smile: The wife's happier and to be honest, so am I.

well as your aware its not a busy world out there for a tradesman at the moment which is why my friend pops back and forth . home time for a while and when money is not to good he goes back out on to the rigs .

if i was you with the tickets you have i would obviously do the plumbing thing but make a beeline for legionella as seems to be a good payer that one

With your technical background, you're in a great position to make a success of it. People (me included) will always be cynical of others who have done an intensive course, it's usually a viewpoint that proves to be accurate.
I was about 5 years into my career when I began to feel comfortable calling myself a plumber, even then I'd be stumped at least once a week. I still get stumped now sometimes. It's all about experience in my opinion, a few months doing it for yourself is worth 10 certificates.
Good luck, and as mentioned above advertise, advertise, advertise. It will be slow and painful at first then you'll reach a plateau where you can cut back the advertising as your work will speak for itself and most of your jobs will be from an existing customer base and word of mouth.

With your technical background, you're in a great position to make a success of it. People (me included) will always be cynical of others who have done an intensive course, it's usually a viewpoint that proves to be accurate.
I was about 5 years into my career when I began to feel comfortable calling myself a plumber, even then I'd be stumped at least once a week. I still get stumped now sometimes. It's all about experience in my opinion, a few months doing it for yourself is worth 10 certificates.
Good luck, and as mentioned above advertise, advertise, advertise. It will be slow and painful at first then you'll reach a plateau where you can cut back the advertising as your work will speak for itself and most of your jobs will be from an existing customer base and word of mouth.

Cheers dude. :D I agree completely and am painfully aware that there's lots of things I'm going to have to learn but fingers crossed practice will make perfect.

:wink_smile::wink_smile:
I'd see how you get on with non-electric jobs first, I had a sparky mate who did all my electrics until I was qualified, I took a hit in profit but nto as much of a hit as the cost of electric training.
I wouldn't throw any more money at it until you know it's for you.

does it take that long to learn the plumbing, up hear, they do it in 4 weeks. after 8 weeks, your a super dooper plumber.:wink_smile:

People annoy me when they say 8 weeks training does'nt make you a plumber....no, it doesnt, but if gives you a damn good deal of knowledge to tackle most jobs! 16 weeks of training doesnt make you a soldier....but guess what, they still goto Afhgan when there done... Do what im doing mate, learn on the job as you go along...im Ex Army after 11 years, we know attenion to detail and how to graft hard! Advertise everywhere and dont charge stupid prices. During my C&G 6129 over the 8 weeks there were guys who had been plumbing for 3 years and needed the qualification... they were shocking! Couldnt read a book and struggled fluxing a pipe! I thought if thats my competition then I have nothing to worry about! Good luck in starting up, hope it goes well.

its not only plumbing you need to worry about. its everything else to do with running a business
not least advertising and marketing

spend a few hours checking past posts on this forum on this issue and you will gain a wealth of experience and knowledge
that will help you

good luck

just as a guide i spend £000's on advertising and i have NO JOBS at all booked in for next week
its that grim for new(ish) start ups. i started 3 1/2 years ago

Maybe hook up with a company as an 'improver ' get yourself on site and get some more experience while building up a business on the side. As soon as I was Gas Safe I did get a lot better response for subby jobs (one for the future maybe)

Forget to say I joined the trade later in life, luckily I could do the 4 years at college while working in the trade. Right attitude and hardwork pays off, I really do love the job and it gives me a buzz that theres so much more to plumbing and gas and Ive got loads to learn. otherwise it would be boring and not a challenge. Wish you the best of luck mate

Remember Happy Wife..... Happy Life

I have been plumbing solid for 9 years and i am also a legionella technician and if you read some of my posts you will see that i still ask some very basic plumbing questions as it is that kind of job so good luck, I personally think that you need to gain a bit of on-site hands-on experience before you go out on your own

What i have noticed people who decide to change careers dont realise how hard work plumbing can be , lumping bathroom suites in out , humping rads up and down stairs , notching joists,drilling flue holes , cylinders etc etc etc

had many a keen newbie leave after few weeks saying not for me main reason is they say thought be easy job and not such hard work . Stick at it and should do o.k the money has gone out the game imo tho and not sure if it will come back for fair while.

Definitely get some experience before you go out alone. I have been doing most weekends since the end of Jauary and I'm only just starting to think for myself and know what tools are best to grab for which job etc. I'm also learning how to conduct myself with customers from tagging along and see the nitty gritty of jobs. The guy I go with seriously puts in the hours and it is hard work sometimes just doing the long days. This week he finished off boiler/cylinder change and the pressure was on to have the job finished Wednesday as he had other work booked in Thursday. On top of all that there will be paper work and other business side of things to worry about once the graft is done.

It's tiring for me as I'm in work all week then out with him weekends on top of actually trying to learn at the same time which is mentally draining. I forget things from one week to the next just because I'm not getting a chance to actually process the information.

Sounds like you have a good background,

......and no matter how rushed or under pressure you are to get a job finished just remember;

LESS HASTE, MORE SPEED!

im in a similar situation to yourself at the moment with regards to setting up, i have done a course last year but since then had back surgery, i am now able to get cracking with starting my business, im lucky my job is 3 days a week so on 2 other days iv been doing extra work so a little extra cash, once iv been to beni at the end of this month im going to get on a tiling, plastering and part p course to get used to them so i can do the full job in a bathroom if needed

its scary but many out there have done it and i am willing to give it a go as you are

try and get jobs off friends, advertise yourself, make sure your prices arent too cheap, explain to customers if your not sure on something that you will find out more, i did that with a boxing in job yesterday which i wasnt sure on and they were more than happy with what i eventually done

Hmm!

Look around and decide what you want to do? What is the area housing stock, private or Housing Association? Much building going on? Factories, commercial? If you want to stay local get the skills for the market. You can start subbing but it don't usually pay much and many companies are dodgy. The Gas Board work looks good, but not for a new start the prices are very tight you need a few years to get up to speed. Housing Associations are not to bad but not good either they are usually for bread and butter work. Industrial and commercial stuff is good and usually well paid, but jobs tend to be more than one man. You could try niche? Try for an agency with one of the boiler makers or service companies.

The thing is building up your private work can take years for it to get to the point you can support yourself on it. Try for work in in-obvious places, like doctors, dentists, health centres, cinemas and churches. Many seem to have their own budgets and are always looking for trustworthy plumbers and the like. Advertise fixed price package deals, most people like them. You could start with simple stuff like a new set of taps supplied and fitted for X£ or choose your own x£ and so on. What about the on shore oil industry they want Plumbers perhaps, tap up your old company. How about teaching with a BSc you should have no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice for a new start-up? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock