Search the forum,

Discuss Acs practical assessments, using MI'S in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi chaps, just wondering, when you do your practical exams, are you allowed to use the Manufacturers instructions to check everything? Like testing safety devices, Spillage tests?

Also for fault finding?

Also, are you allowed to take your viper book in with you?

Regards

Lee

You would have to have the mi's to be doing any work on appliances.

It will say in mi's where to perform spillage and flow test etc

They will expect you to be doing basic safety checks.

cool, thanks simon. I can't seem to find in any of my books on how test a Thermocouple on an oven. When you cut off the gas supply, where do you do it from? As it is connected from the bayonet fixing. If you turn it off at the tap, like normal how is that testing it? I know with most appliances it is at the isolation valve. Is this the same for a cooker then?

So, tightness test, turn on cooker, pull out the bayonet and wait 60 seconds for click, the tightness test again?

Another thought, do you think that the training cebtres expect you to use there method of calculations. For example, gas rating? In the treloar book he makes it really simple by giving a revised calculation for a u6 meter 1092. And then all you have to do is divide by the seconds of 1 revolution.

And for e6 its the same, a constant number of 320.38. Then times the gas used by this.

Do you think this would be ok

course you can use the Mi's theyll all be given to you on the day of your assesment, all books and materials are all there, use what ever method you want as long as you are gas rating correctly, good luck.

only an assessor on a mad power trip will demand you use the long hand method, TBH it is a joy to see someone walk straight in and know how to do it ANYWAY, so yes using the short versions are perfectly ok, and if anyone says long hand is the only accurate way to do it properly, then demand the actual CV of the gas you are about to use, as without the actual CV then you are only guesstimating using the long method as well

i remember a mate telling me a lad on his course went "i ve got an app for that" when gas rating and they let him use it lol

dont know what hed do if his phone died etc

i remember a mate telling me a lad on his course went "i ve got an app for that" when gas rating and they let him use it lol

dont know what hed do if his phone died etc

thats the prob with using gadgets to do assessments, it proves you can use a mobile phone, but if your phones is dead during the day one time do you know how to work it out, TBH i dont have aprob with app's etc but the rules say no mobile phones or laptops allowed in case you cheat for an answer so unless they relax the rules (which is unlikely) then i cant see them being allowed, as for someone being allowed to use them, its up to the assessor but its against the current rulesonce every 5yrs it cant be a major prob to take 2 readings and multiply it by 321 to do a gas rate can it?

thats the prob with using gadgets to do assessments, it proves you can use a mobile phone, but if your phones is dead during the day one time do you know how to work it out, TBH i dont have aprob with app's etc but the rules say no mobile phones or laptops allowed in case you cheat for an answer so unless they relax the rules (which is unlikely) then i cant see them being allowed, as for someone being allowed to use them, its up to the assessor but its against the current rulesonce every 5yrs it cant be a major prob to take 2 readings and multiply it by 321 to do a gas rate can it?

it would appear so , for some lol

thanks for all the replies guys. Can you tell me if my method of checking thermocouple on cooker is ok?

you are required to use and ask for all relevant documentation associated to the task in hand such as m.i's, regs, bs doc's, etc. this showes you know where to source the relevant documentation according to the ccn1.

my assessor demanded to do all calculations his/the right way, so he could check them to his results??/

you are required to use and ask for all relevant documentation associated to the task in hand such as m.i's, regs, bs doc's, etc. this showes you know where to source the relevant documentation according to the ccn1.

my assessor demanded to do all calculations his/the right way, so he could check them to his results??/

was his name Richard?

haha i was thinking of Richard Cranium

as james may would say.....eventually...hahaaa!.
no actually, he is a really good bloke who employs a r.c as his side kick, thats where it all starts (mr chrisma).lol.

To check your oven thermocouple,first do a tightness test at meter make sure installation is sound,light oven and turn gas off at meter,wait 60 secs(check this is correct time )do a second tightness test at meter if no drop thermocouple is working ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Acs practical assessments, using MI'S in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock