Discuss Acova Column Radiator Failure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anniemack

Hi Folks

I am wondering if anyone has experience of something similar?

I installed a new central heating system in my flat approx 5.5 years ago. It was a new combi-boiler, polypipe pipework, and 8 Acova column style radiators. I put inhibitor in the system.

Recently I noticed that the paintwork on one of the radiators had bubbled up. I pressed it, and rusty water came out. This has happened at two different points on the same radiator, next to where the columns are joined together. I am thinking that the welds that join the columns together are faulty, and the leaking water has caused the corrosion and bubbling of the paintwork. There is no evidence of a similar problem with the other 7 radiators. The radiator has not been bashed or had anything dropped on it.

I would expect radiators to last at least 10 years (although the Acova warrantly is only 5 years). Has anyone seen this happen with Acova rads?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers

anna

One of them things I'm afraid, is it in a bathroom/ cloakroom?

You haven't been on R1 lately Annie, fed up of the standins :(
PS: got your CD and am following you on soundcloud :)

To be blunt the only way you will get around it with ACOVA is if the rust has formed on the outside of the rad, in which case its a paint finish/crevice corrosion issue due to a manufacturing defect. I think ACOVA got bought out though so I don't know if any ACOVA warranties would be carried on by Zehnder anyway. If its internal corrosion it could be that the polypipe was non barrier, inhibitor was cheap tatt, system has been drained down.

A customer bought two acova of eBay , said it was a rad company, when I fitted them I found digs and bad paint finish to them , when I filled them up , there was a spilt in one off the colums ,, also found a screw fix ticket wedged in side , most prob a batch of screw fix 2nds on the web ,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Acova Column Radiator Failure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock