Discuss Accountants and tax in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gary

Hi, I am hoping that some of you more experianced guys can help me out when it comes to the tax man. I am about to sign a contract with my current employer to go as a sub-contractor and effectivily going self employed. Currently i pay through the cis scheme, but my question is.... is it worth employing an accountant? What kinds tax breaks are there? Is VAT reclaimable or is it just easier and cheaper to get my head down work hard and let the it carry on as normal???
Cheers

Hi. Gary, It is normal to pay tax when employed using the paye scheme. The cis relates to pay stoped wheb subcontracting within the construction industry. Thre has been a major effort by the revenue to stop labour only sub contractors. I would question the reasons behind the offer prior to signing up. You may well get free advise from an accountant or accounts forum. Good Luck

i could be wrong but,
i was told that you cannot sub to one contractor for more than half the year, otherwise it was deemed that you are employed by them.?.

i could be wrong but,
i was told that you cannot sub to one contractor for more than half the year, otherwise it was deemed that you are employed by them.?.

Don't know about that, but you do need your own tools and van, if you use your contractors tools you are then classed as employed. You can only claim vat back if you are vat registered. I would ask why you have to go self employed, it sounds like your boss man might be going **** up and he is trying to get out of paying you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Accountants and tax in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I...
Replies
Views
J
Hi - I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I'm looking for some advice with regards to a recent (nightmare) new gas boiler install...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
My account is very active and sent me this, might be helpful to some? Self-employment Income Support Scheme If you are self-employed or a member...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock