Search the forum,

Discuss AAV In Loft Leaking... in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have an AAV connected to my stack in the loft and it has 'ventapipe 50' markings on the top. I noticed some water on the top of the pipe where the seal is on the pipe and wondered how it was getting there. I have then looked up into the AAV and there is quite a bit of condensation (well i think its condensation?!) on the inside of the valve. I have some pictures below showing this - I don't know if this is normal on them or not?? The nearest branch connection to this is approximately 2.5m below the AAV in the bathroom below..

IMG_9031.JPGIMG_9027.JPGIMG_9028.JPGIMG_9029.JPG

Looks like warm moist air is leaking back through the aav and condensing on it. Suggest you replace the aav.
Thanks will have a look into getting another one - I see this one has actually got poor reviews with the seal failing. Think it’s McAlpine so may look into another manufacturer of them this time.

Looks like you have enough space to fit a simpler looking one.

This unit looks like a valve plus an adapter. Is one idea for applications where you are short of headroom (e.g. no soffits or low angle roof pitch so not enough space under the felt.) In that case you can rotate it towards Centreline of the house to gain a bit of head space?

Anyhow, simplest to change yours.

Cheers,

Roy

Look for one with rubber fins (but not this awkward looking macalpine job)
If it doesn't have fins you'll need to glue it to the pipe with solvent weld cement.
(And you know how complicated that can get 😀 )

Last edited:
Get a polypipe one. Comes with a poly insulation cap to stop it freezing. Or maybe the flowplast external one which is OK down to - 20.
Is this the one

Polypipe 110 mm PVCu Grey Air Admittance Valve - https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/polypipe-110mm-pvcu-grey-air-admittance-valve

Would rather overkill it and have this one in the loft as I wonder if the low temperature is what causes the seals to go on the internal spec ones...

Look for one with rubber fins (but not this awkward looking macalpine job)
If it doesn't have fins you'll need to glue it to the pipe with solvent weld cement.
(And you know how complicated that can get 😀 )

Yes it certainly does - at least they seem to be PVC these AAV’s! I don’t mind welding one on if it’s going to give me a better fit and therefore seal.

Looks like you have enough space to fit a simpler looking one.

This unit looks like a valve plus an adapter. Is one idea for applications where you are short of headroom (e.g. no soffits or low angle roof pitch so not enough space under the felt.) In that case you can rotate it towards Centreline of the house to gain a bit of head space?

Anyhow, simplest to change yours.

Cheers,

Roy
yes its not needed in my loft as I still have some roof space for a bigger adapter. I guess that’s what the previous plumber had in their kit at the time!

Not sure why they fail. It's very rare indoors. I have always assumed dust and cobwebs get in the moving parts.
The one from mrcentral is a solvent weld type.
Fyi as far as I'm aware 110mm plastic soil pipe and fittings are all ABS so should be fine.
I think you're right the last one was made up from what was to hand.
I don't have a preference for manufacturer but those without the shroudy bit are useful if the pipes got too close to the wall and the shroud would foul on the wall - not significant in your case
Have you tried disassembling and cleaning the valve. Some types are possible to clean and as it clearly isn't doing what it should then why not have a go.

I managed to unclip the valve to reveal the seal which to me looks ruined - it seems a pretty common problem on this particular part by McAlpine. Would this be why I am getting condensation leaking onto the soil pipe in the loft as the seal is not working properly?

Attachments

• IMG_9751_1.JPG
    IMG_9751_1.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9752_1.JPG
    IMG_9752_1.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9753_1.JPG
    IMG_9753_1.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 9

Reply to AAV In Loft Leaking... in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock