Discuss A week in the life of MadDan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plum ber

This week.....
We are a company that deals with ANY issue in houses and that means ANY issue...ATM we are installing lintels before our customer has top notch windows fitted in Jan/Feb...There is a lot of work we are doing inc installing a new bathroom in the new year, I will post before and after pic's in due course but it is ancient!!! it was installed in the 60's??

Monday; arrive at site to finish bricking up a window lintel, this had to be reverse bricked as the top brick is up under the eaves barge boards and soffits ect. So this was a little harder than the rest. The rain came and this task was put off until Tuesday. So on monday i installed a new kitchen tap for the main kitchen this was tricky as the waste diposal unit was in the way and I had machine bent the copper instead of using elbows. This was completed by 13:00 we then left it to test for leaks ect over lunch after a quick check that it held pressure...After lunch it was peeing it down and I finished the tap off and cleaned the site...15:30 can't see anymore it's going dark early grey skies so we call it a day...

Tuesday; We finished off the lintel and the reverse bricking....clean up and I go to the merchants and stock up for the evening's jobs. My neighbour has asked me to go and see one of his customers and install some roman blinds for her, this was done in the evening.....Walk dog and bed!!!

Wed's; We are asked to remove a sink in a cupboard (I've never seen anything like it!!!) Now in order to do this I had to go under the house and cap off the 15mm pipes that feed the sink, I go under and find that the pipes are installed very badly. I decide to do it Live as the main in the road does not seem to turn off the water to the downstairs!!! frustrated by the amount of tanks and such like in this house I cap the cold off live and not much water comes out as I worked fast to complete this and in about a minute this is capped off using a compression stop end. The hot run's 8 metres or so under the rabbit warren (house) So I locate the 15mm equal tee feeding the kitchen sink and yet another sink in the downstairs bedroom...The gate velve on the HWSC does'nt seem to work and I cannot turn the hot supply off and cannot be bothered freezing it, BUT the pipe is directly under a floor board tight up against it aswell, luckily the installer did'nt fix the floor board too well so I can push it up and wedge it this allows me just enough room to work in and I cut the pipe, by this time I am a little wet from the cold feed but not to bad.....I cut the hot and the water sprays, I stupidly assume I am through...and wizz the cutter off but I am not through....Grrr i quickly find the cutter re align it and cut through the pipe....Placing my thumb over the pipe I get the stop end and wrenches which I have set up ready and go for it and cap it off by this time I have had a muddy sandy shower and it's dinner time off for a shower I go and am genuinely PMSL
In the afternoon we dismantle the sink in the cupboard along with the associated pipework and lead waste this is placed in the van for the scrap pile.....can't do anymore so I move on to the evenings jobs. i install a new torbeck valve washer for a mate and go and see another mate to talk him through a job he's struggling with.

Thursday; I arrive at 09:15 have a brew and a site meeting with customer and boss, the scaffolders arrive and finish off planking the scaff out....It was found that the main issolation in the road does'nt turn off the upstairs at all.....I go under the house again and report the where I had capped of the cold from yesterday, the 15mm pipe goes out of the front of the bay window and I cannot see any other mains water pipe under the house. by this time I am baffled..
I have turned off the main feed "in the road" (think of this property as two flats) the downstairs is OFF but the upstairs is still live??? I go up into the loft in search of a CWST and find only one for the central heating system... I look under the upstairs sink in the kitchen for a stop tap search the whole house and can only find two one downstairs kitchen this works and correctly....Phew!!!
There is one by the front door labled up as "Upstairs Mains water" we use this and it works as it should BUT remember the main off and the upstairs STILL has water!!! No tanks are found and I cannot understand how the upstairs water is fed?? We decide to dig a hole in the new year to try and see the direction the 15mm pipe goes that feeds upstairs and then I can use my new pipe freezer in Jan (ordered today!!!) to change the leaky stop tap and install a new drain off valve...
If you have read this correctly I know it is lenghty but I have tied to explain the water mains side of things and how confused I am...We will have to find out in the new year where the water for upstairs is fed from but it does'nt seem to be the same place as downstairs as when the main is off upstairs is still LIVE!!!

Today; We take the scaffolding covers off for the christmas period (Wind noise is annoying) I fold them clean the windows of cement dust ect and have a general clean up...The Boss gives me 2 bottles (1x Southern Comfort 1x Drambuie) and a miniture rose plant for Gillian and I am also given a bottle of Southern from Linda the customer!!! Thanking me for all my hard work and Good Humour!!!
This is why I love my job and Now I have to go and deliver shed loads of xmas cards before taking her indoors out for dinner tonight.....

Last edited by a moderator:
A great read dan. But you clearly have to much time on your hands mate! If you need help with the bottles over Christmas I'm happy to oblige!

I just hope it all makes sense and any views on the water main are gladly received!!! Confused.com aint the half of it!

Any help will be appreciated with all the bottles I have, still got half a L of Drambuie from last year!!! But half of one of the Southerns seems to have evaporated last night, how can this happen???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A week in the life of MadDan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft...
Replies
Views
We have recently had water hammer issues. Plumbers have installed an arrestor near our kitchen sink and a device in the toilet cistern to slow...
Replies
Views
Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock