Currently reading:
A real brain teaser, its got me beat

Discuss A real brain teaser, its got me beat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Derrick229

Hi Lads,
Just been replumbing a house, they said they had a leak

They had a new main put in by 3 Valleys, great, no problem (no leaks)

They have a granny flat next door, and a valve that isolates the granny flat and the hotwater (this line feeds the combi boiler (it also isolates the hot water to EVERY WHERE)

I have run a new line to the bathroom, it feeds just the bath, hand basin and toilet

So is it clear so far ?

1st valve, isolates the whole place (main S/C)

2nd valve isolates the cold water in the granny flat, the hot water to the WHOLE house, the kitchen in the house and the outside tap

3rd valve isolates just the bathroom

Are you still with me ?

When I isolate the main valve (no 1) the water meter stops (this tells me that between the water meter and the main S/c is fine, no leaks)

I now shut off the 2nd valve which shuts off the granny flat, kitchen, outside tap and the hot water supply from the combi (the main valve is now open, of course)

With the main valve open and no 2 closed, I open no 3 valve (which feeds JUST the bathroom), no taps are open or dripping in the bathroom, the ball valve isnt letting by

BUT the meter is still going round, now common sense tells me that somewhere there is a leak, so there is going to be a damp patch or a puddle

There is nothing, the taps arent leaking, the pipework is dry, I can see all the pipework

I called the 3 valleys guy out, even he saw it, meter working, no damp patches, no dripping taps, dry pipe

Anyone got any ideas what the hell is happening, I been told by the 3 valleys guy the meter only works when there is a flow of water,

It only seems to be when the valve (no 3) that feeds the bathroom there is a flow, I cant find it

Anyone any ideas, because its got me buggered, 3 valleys are reluctant to dig the meter up, they say its fine (and as the leak is AFTER the meter, its the house owners problem)

(I have to be really honest, I think there is a fault on the meter)

Av just had similar problem with alcotheme . Someone used protectaline pipe and a philmac fitting on it and the water was getting in between the metal protection on the pipe and was leaking the under floor, no wet patches anywhere either.

Av just had similar problem with alcotheme . Someone used protectaline pipe and a philmac fitting on it and the water was getting in between the metal protection on the pipe and was leaking the under floor, no wet patches anywhere either.

Tell me more about this, as you can see I have a similar problem

my call out. water on at meter water off at stop tap meter didnt move. water on at meter on stop tap meter turning, everything off service valves on everything (it brand new house on building site) cold main had filled everything in house so only place left to travel was in between metal protection on alcotheme and alcotheme itself was actually leakin underground had blown hole in protective layer. the way I found out was I dug meter up pulled alcotheme out and saw hole. Then I went round site jus cutting metal layer back on alcotheme to expose inner pipe and fastenin my stoptap on this. For me job done! hope this helps m8...

only reason I stripped all alcothemes back is because at the time I didnt know if water was gettin between the layers from my side or meter side.

I might be barking here so bear with me , i think the waterboard have facility to put an oscilloscope from the meter to the end of run so as to get a wave pattern which could show were the water is going , also they have listerning devices that can hear peaks . maybe the guy who came out only had basic stuff ( two sticks that cross etc ) .

I'd forgotten about this, what was it Derrick??

So had I, now to give everyone an update,

Removed the fllor tiles, removed the ply (he had glued that to the floor boards)

Removed hand basin, removed WC, exposed all the pipe work, there was the culprit, a dripping elbow, the floor underneath was full of brick rubble/plaster, it had soaked up all the water, it was like mud, but as all that had soaked up the water, it never showed on the ceiling downstairs

The bloke didnt want me to remove the floor or tiles in the bathroom (quite happy to remove the bath panel and change the pipe to the bath though) in the endd, he had no choice

After all that, he argued about the price I gave him and took 6 weeks and too many visits to get paid off

I took out 3 buckets of rubbish, it wasnt a massive leak, just enough to move the meter, though

Replaced the fitting, job done, no leak

you'rv not the only one that gets c#@p jobs i'm sure everyone gets their share. i had a bathroom where i had to virtually rebuild the floor before i could start. it was a bungalow and the floor joists where rotten on the outside wall end and they had to be jacked up and chocked up on blocks.

QUOTE=steveb;99509]you'rv not the only one that gets c#@p jobs i'm sure everyone gets their share. i had a bathroom where i had to virtually rebuild the floor before i could start. it was a bungalow and the floor joists where rotten on the outside wall end and they had to be jacked up and chocked up on blocks.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, I got another b*tch on the go, but this is 200 miles away, and is from a friend, look in the heating forums :mad:

(thank god I cant get there, the call out would be horrendous)

Fancy a drive to ***bria ???:D:D

Don't mind me while I bump some threads in the plumbing forum category. This thread might not be a current topic, if it isn't, just let it drop off the list.

If you DO want to reply to it, go ahead, that's fine. Your post might add some value to the thread and help newer members in the future.

This was about the last job I done before I retired, it was a PJ, it was a real headache, glad to see the back of it, these days I just travel, seen a lot of appalling plumbing on my travels, the UK has some of the best plumbing in the world and the best plumbers, compared to some of the rubbish I have seen, any fool in these countries think they can be a plumber

Well I am now out of it all these days, cant say I am glad though, but its a big world out there and I may as go and see it while I can (and have the money and health to do it)

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A real brain teaser, its got me beat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Back