Discuss A rare moment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Its not often I have a bout of confidence, and when I do its very short lived. But I did another boiler install today, my 3rd gas boiler... Had to run a vertical flue up through the ceiling and 90 to an outside wall. Took off a Baxi and fitted a Worcester greenstar 24i system boiler.

I know it's not perfect but my firm doesn't want perfection, it wants quantity. So we don't flush, we just take off an old boiler and stick in a new one.

But a year ago, the job I did today I would have pooh'd my pants and run away. I've only been a plumber for a year and eight months and gas safe for a year and I feel like I've come a really long way from the beginning.

I've halfway been diagnosed with a personality disorder and suffer with anxiety quite bad, but I've stuck with it, through the good and bad and have fought against my mental health issues and so far I'm winning, some days I don't but that's life, it is what it is.

Its very weird, but knowing I can turn to you lot if I'm really in a jam, or when I just want to vent, or ask questions and not fear ridicule or judgement has actually seen me through a lot of crap times.

So to everyone I've spoken to on here, a massive thank you!!

(Yes I've been on the vino and now I'm getting all soppy but hey, I don't give a pooh!)

Old boiler:
f2905b5c56286fbcfc299efc474d74f2.jpg

New boiler:
121052db7fb2613ba40c6506aab666e8.jpg

I really enjoyed this install today :)

Cheers everyone :)

jay we have a problem dont want to tell you but i have to

the boilers not straight think you need a new level

but other than this one thing its looks good :D :D

also the top bit opens?

Last edited:

but other than this one thing its looks good

also the top bit opens?
You can't view the flue?

Last edited:
Or the electrical connection choc box is exposed?

the boilers not straight think you need a new level

but other than this one thing its looks good :D :D

also the top bit opens?
Yeah the top opens.. Lol I know it looks bent, I thought that when I was looking at it but believe me, the first boiler I did actually was crooked so since then I'm anal about it being level haha

Nope none of the above its a Worcester that's the problem
What's wrong with Worcesters? I think they're good boilers, nice to install, flues easy to work with - unlike Vaillant flues (I hate them)

Yeah the top opens.. Lol I know it looks bent, I thought that when I was looking at it but believe me, the first boiler I did actually was crooked so since then I'm anal about it being level haha

:D its the angle of the pic and the time will come when you look back and you will smile and think why was i nervous

What's wrong with Worcesters? I think they're good boilers, nice to install, flues easy to work with - unlike Vaillant flues (I hate them)

its like the brown muck some people love it some hate it i love them (worcesters)

how long did it take you?

:D its the angle of the pic and the time will come when you look back and you will smile and think why was i nervous
I hope so mate.. Its not so had when I get stuck in and busy, its the journey to the property and assessing when I need to do. I physically have to talk out loud telling myself the steps I need to take as I do them lol I must sound like a right weirdo

its like the brown muck some people love it some hate it i love them (worcesters)

how long did it take you?
My boss takes the mick, had a meeting yesterday and he said it'd take him 2 hours but me 12 lol took me all day, got there at 9 and had it fired up by 4:30pm.. I'm slow but its just how I work

I hope so mate.. Its not so had when I get stuck in and busy, its the journey to the property and assessing when I need to do. I physically have to talk out loud telling myself the steps I need to take as I do them lol I must sound like a right weirdo

and nope i do the same you can pre plan your work that way and see the steps in your head

!BtH94ngCWk~$(KGrHqUH-DsEvFE823!oBL6qPHRWQg~~_35.JPG

My boss takes the mick, had a meeting yesterday and he said it'd take him 2 hours but me 12 lol took me all day, got there at 9 and had it fired up by 4:30pm.. I'm slow but its just how I work

ignore him and no way unless hes using push fit two hours hahaha

30 mins to drain down
1 hour to take boiler off and flue out
30 mins to re hang boiler

time up no way

ignore him and no way unless hes using push fit two hours hahaha

30 mins to drain down
1 hour to take boiler off and flue out
30 mins to re hang boiler

time up no way
Haha that's what I thought but I don't really care, I'm not gonna try and work quicker to please anyone, I like how I work and speed will come with experience.

Took me ages to get the old boiler off, couldn't figure it out to begin with but they'd screwed the boiler to the wall, as well as the jig.. Buggars!! Lol

Haha that's what I thought but I don't really care, I'm not gonna try and work quicker to please anyone, I like how I work and speed will come with experience.

Took me ages to get the old boiler off, couldn't figure it out to begin with but they'd screwed the boiler to the wall, as well as the jig.. Buggars!! Lol

thats it also if you rush i can guarantee you will make stupid mistakes, and least it wasnt going to fall off :D

problem is..you took a baxi off and replaced it with that!!!

and the wall has a mole................................lol

inbox!

problem is..you took a baxi off and replaced it with that!!!

and the wall has a mole................................lol

inbox!
Lol not my mole though ;) (I'm assuming you're talking about that lovely burn mark?)

The boilers not wonky, that kitchens wonky! The amount of wonky kitchens I've fitted boilers in is unbelievable!

Hi Jay Only one thing wrong is you are too self critical .....you have done well to get where you are now as stated the help to members and non members of this forum is second to none from some very knowledgeable Guy's and girls here......keep up the good work.....regards Turnpin:17:

Hi Jay Only one thing wrong is you are too self critical .....you have done well to get where you are now as stated the help to members and non members of this forum is second to none from some very knowledgeable Guy's and girls here......keep up the good work.....regards Turnpin:17:

Always think better to be self critical and analyse everything you do ...(see if can do better /quicker etc) than be to cocky and miss stuff (see a LOT of that nowadays ) ;)
If you learn from EACH job...that is a result.

Tell your boss he is talking utter ballcocks ,he cant do it in 2 hours and is probably a very rough plumber

Tell your boss he is talking utter ballcocks ,he cant do it in 2 hours and is probably a very rough plumber

It may be advisable not to tell your Boss this...

... his ego may be impacted to the point where he sacks you!

It may be advisable not to tell your Boss this...

... his ego may be impacted to the point where he sacks you!
To be fair I think he was joking but I do know I am a slow worker when it comes to installing anything where I am doing pipework.. Not sure why it takes me so long really.. I think cos I don't get to do it often..

But I've done 2 boilers in a week so hopefully I'll get some more practice in and speed up!!

took me 2 hours to get an offset vertical flue set up correctly recently, I got so fit nippng up and down that bleedin ladder to grind off another slither of flue!!!! :)

Must send a note to Croppie on tips on how to lose weight, tip one install domestic vertical flues.
tip two, stop eating ....

took me 2 hours to get an offset vertical flue set up correctly recently, I got so fit nippng up and down that bleedin ladder to grind off another slither of flue!!!! :)

I know you are going to hate me but ................

Measure twice, cut once comes to mind. :biggrin:

(off to find the tin hat now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A rare moment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice on an issue I'm having with my Vaillant Ecotec Pro 24 boiler (R1 PCB). It was installed in 2013 and has...
Replies
Views
C
Hi. I had issues with cold spots four years ago and had a Magnacleanse done. This caused a few pinhole leaks and I got new radiators. I've just...
Replies
Views
Chris Irish
C
I
I've had my tado system in my new build for 5 years now and it's been fine. Yesterday morning I changed the batteries on the second floor...
Replies
Views
I've got a Glowworm Flexicom 24hx boiler and I'm trying to unplug the installer cartridge in order to wire up the ebus connection inside. From...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock