Currently reading:
7 head pump upgrade on an Intergas boiler

Discuss 7 head pump upgrade on an Intergas boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

evets51

I've got quite a longstanding problem with a 1.5 year old 18kw Intergas system boiler which takes over an hour to get all radiators hot - and even then they aren't scalding hot to the touch even though the water temp is set to 80 on the boiler.

Potted history - it was a replacement boiler we had put in when we moved in, to replace a 17kw Ideal boiler. Its a 5 bedroom / 17 radiator house, approx 2200 sq ft - most people seem to think the boiler is too small, however having put my details into the boiler size calculator at idhee.org (double-glazed, 270mm loft insulation, cavity wall insulation) it came up with 13.6kw. Also the previous owners, who I trust, assured me the previous lower capacity Ideal boiler coped adequately.

Its a microbore system - originally sludged up badly and heating performance was awful (rooms wouldn't heat up at all), but we had 2 power flushes done plus a load of Fernox sludge remover. The three worst radiators for getting hot are in the living room and hallway - I've taken these radiators off and run a hose through them and no sludge, so I'm reasonably sure the system is clean.

The boiler shortcycles all the time - so fires for the first 2 or 3 minutes, then backs off for another 2 minutes or so before firing again etc. If it was firing constantly and took an hour or more to heat up I'd believe it was undersized - but it can't be right for it to be shortcycling constantly like this? So yesterday I closed off all radiators other than the three which are the worst performers, and fired up the heating. All 3 radiators got red hot within 20 minutes (hotter than I've ever felt them) - hot at the top and bottom (even though the boiler still shortcycled).

Its been suggested that the problem is the pump not being able to move the water around the system adequately. I've no idea what the pump system on the Ideal was. I've spoken to Intergas and they tell me the pump on the current boiler is a "5 head" pump, but you can get a "7 head" pump as an upgrade - £140 for the part. Just looking for opinions on whether or not that is likely to be a big help and worth trying? We've spent quite a lot of money on powerflushes / having people in to add Fernox and drain the system etc, and one of the options on the table at the moment is ripping the whole system out and adding all new radiators plumbed in 15mm copper with a new, bigger boiler. Obviously that's going to cost a small fortune though so would like to avoid if possible!

Here goes! Why do you need a bypass on a "y" plan? There's always a port open to either the cylinder or a bypass radiator! Both long enough runs and usually longer than where the bypass would be fitted.

Here goes! Why do you need a bypass on a "y" plan? There's always a port open to either the cylinder or a bypass radiator! Both long enough runs and usually longer than where the bypass would be fitted.

Its an S plan I believe - 2 separate motorised valves, one for hot water and one for heating.

not when its a system boiler.
so the boiler is short cycling, turning itself off because it is up to temperature, so what temperature is the return pipe??
is there one or two radiators that get piping hot quickly? = balancing issue.
have the parameters been properly set?
ch power to max 85 percent??
is installation type set to position 3- heat only!??

Yup it appears to be balancing as said above. The ch is on max 85% though yes, pump speed is turned up to max and installation type is 3.

the pressure drop on the Intergas alone is rather high to start with.
Why do you say that? The 18SB (OP's boiler) drop is only 0.75m at full output, which leaves 3.5m for the heating circuit.

Don't forget that the boiler is designed to work with a 20C differential, so a lower flow rate and consequently much lower pressure loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 7 head pump upgrade on an Intergas boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock