Search the forum,

Discuss 3rd year apprentice what should i know? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr leaky

Hi as the title says i have just started my third year in college but my new employer thinks i am way way behind with what i should know. Can anyone give me a rough idea what you would expect a person starting there third year to know plumbing wise.

many thanks

Ed

all off it but not necessary good/fast at it.

do you feel like your a plumber or a trainee?

A lot as said in my third year i was left to install radiators in conservatorys for a firm my boss worked for he would drop off materials and rest was down to me, second fixing kitchens, bathrooms and airing cupboards on site work we did as well

what sort off work do you normally do? how long have you worked for him
sounds a bit suspect to me

3rd year apprentice i had fitted over 500 boilers lol didnt know how to do any bathroom or other plumbing until i came out of my time.

Yes JUDGE ME!!!
However i think im getting a little bit more sharper :$ (only taking me another 6 yrs)

I think it depends if your put in the deep end or not after so long,
only so much you can learn from watching and reading your books

Well if you don't know the theroy or have an idea of everythink then yes you r behind! And if you can't drill holes and hang or bend and solder/braze then you need to catch up. You should be able to take an unvent syestem out and put a combi and all pipe work up to meter on your own I would of thought. Wot is it that you feel you can do??

Hi as the title says i have just started my third year in college but my new employer thinks i am way way behind with what i should know. Can anyone give me a rough idea what you would expect a person starting there third year to know plumbing wise.

many thanks

Ed
Well Ed I wouldn't worry too much or take much notice of what has been posted so far, there appears to be some big egos combined with old farts who have forgotten how little they new after a couple of years.
After completing L2 NVQ you are deemed to be able to install but still under guidance from a plumber, of course that will depend on your experience so far. Level 3 is designed to allow you to design, set-out, commission & fault find. In addition you will get to understand un-vent systems, water reg's requirements & many other more complex systems as well as electrical knowledge that will far so pass most of the plumbers you are working with. Do your best, work hard, it is what you are like after the 4 years that is the most important thing.

You only get this opportunity once so make the most of it !!!

Last edited:
Ask your boss what he thinks you should be capable of and if it involves things you haven't spent much time on (or not at all) then ask him to put you on those type of jobs. Maybe he's just scared that once you're fully qualified he'll have to bump your wages up?

After you complete your level 2 your qualified as a Domestic Plumber. After your level 3 you gain your water regs, unvented and gas tickets so you'll be called a Plumbing & Heating Engineer.

However we just like to be called plumbers since the other trades take the mick out of the last one ;)

After you complete your level 2 your qualified as a Domestic Plumber. After your level 3 you gain your water regs, unvented and gas tickets so you'll be called a Plumbing & Heating Engineer.

However we just like to be called plumbers since the other trades take the mick out of the last one ;)
need a degree to use that word :)

Three years study to get a degree and your an engineer for ever.

Not so easy for a GS engineer.

Well Ed I wouldn't worry too much or take much notice of what has been posted so far there appears to be some big egos combined with old farts who have forgotten how little they new after a couple of years.
After completing L2 NVQ you are deemed to be able to install but still under guidance from a plumber, of cause what will depend on your experience so far. Level 3 is designed to allow you to design, set-out, commission & fault find. In addition you will get to understand un-vent systems, water reg's requirements & many other more complex systems as well as electrical knowledge that will far so pass most of the plumbers you are working with. Do your best, work hard, it is what you are like after the 4 years that is the most important thing.

Very well said Chris!

I would say talk to your gov, is he talking about the work you are doing day to day? If he is wanting you to produce the output of a fully trained tradesman then he should have a rethink. Talk with him and ask what he means.

Well Ed I wouldn't worry too much or take much notice of what has been posted so far there appears to be some big egos combined with old farts who have forgotten how little they new after a couple of years.
After completing L2 NVQ you are deemed to be able to install but still under guidance from a plumber, of cause what will depend on your experience so far. Level 3 is designed to allow you to design, set-out, commission & fault find. In addition you will get to understand un-vent systems, water reg's requirements & many other more complex systems as well as electrical knowledge that will far so pass most of the plumbers you are working with. Do your best, work hard, it is what you are like after the 4 years that is the most important thing.

Great advice. People learn at different speeds and there is no fixed rule that says what you must know at this point. A lot will depend on who you work with and how much they involve you.

Dont get me wrong but I think what are asking what your boss thinks you should know in the real world not in the clasroom

many thanks

Ed

I worked with a guy like this, everytime I mentioned gas experience he said I wasnt ready. Everytime I worked with him and asked him a question he got really annoyed. some people just have opinions that you must have 3 years on the job experience before being any good, other think that if they are paying you to do a job they shouldnt be helping you. my current boss is helpful and if you have a problem you can call him up and he will pop over if you are struggling. giving me gas experience and even given me the confidence back to head for my gas.
You should be able to solder, fit compression fittings without getting leaks, fit rads, taps and toilet valves. i.e. the basics.
I wouldnt expect a level 3 to fit boilers/ unvented cylinders, work out gas pipe sizes i.e. any of these youy can do is a bonus. if he is putting you down then look elsewhere. if several people tell you the same thing then give it up, plumbing aint for you.

Is expect a first year to be able to fit a compression fitting without leaks really jase

Is expect a first year to be able to fit a compression fitting without leaks really jase

That's what I mean, anybody who can do the basics is a plumber, as long as they can do these basic things everything else can be taught or learnt with experience.

There are level 3 students that can't solder a joint and level 1 students that could fit boilers, knowledge is crucial to do the job but having the ability to do a job on your own is something some people will never learn

From whats been said i am not far from it i havent done much gas work so i cant expect to know much. Two boiler commissions and two changes a bit of servicing and breakdowns thats my sum experience where gas is concerned. I can mount a boiler on the wall and do the pipework only area i struggle with is sizing the gas pipe. My boss seems to think i should be able to wire an s plan, commission/fault find boilers, install and fault find gas fires any thoughts on that?

many thanks for the replies

Ed
:santa3:

and where would you have learnt to do that from doing your level 2 plumbing
bet he hasn't took the time to show you has he?

Last edited:
He has shown me a bit but i need to see a few before i get the hang of it thats just how i am. I have worked for a couple of other people and neither has complained that i didnt know enough. I would pack the job in and move on but i will be EXTREMELY lucky to get another job the way things are seems like everyone is struggling at the moment.

From whats been said i am not far from it i havent done much gas work so i cant expect to know much. Two boiler commissions and two changes a bit of servicing and breakdowns thats my sum experience where gas is concerned. I can mount a boiler on the wall and do the pipework only area i struggle with is sizing the gas pipe. My boss seems to think i should be able to wire an s plan, commission/fault find boilers, install and fault find gas fires any thoughts on that?

many thanks for the replies

Ed
:santa3:

Lol ok, ive been out my time for few years.

-I dont touch hardly any wiring, just basic wiring.
-fault find...hmm maybe the simple stuff like expansion vessel if water comes out what does it mean, however until you know the sequence the boiler fires before you get hot water fault finding on boilers isnt ideal for apprentice.
- install gas fires? ..... Ok ur boss needs shooting on this..... For every reason possible...

Lol

Don't let him knock ur confidence remember your nearly fully qualified maybe he's looking for excuses not to take you on ,paying you full wage?

sent from my annoying box

Sounds to me that you r doing ok mate,fault finding and wiring r the things that comes with exp mate so I wouldn't worry:) your boss is just trying to put you in ya place so just play the game with him till your ready to move on

technically to be called an engineer you have to have a degree otherwise all we can ever reach is the dizzy height of technician, leastwise thats what the engineers in this world tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3rd year apprentice what should i know? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock