Discuss Tool for stubborn tap head gear? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCplumb

Esteemed
Plumber
As the title suggests. Anyone know of a decent tool for removing a really stubborn tap head gear?
I've usually managed to crack them after a while but one job a couple of months ago had me beat, the customer had these really old taps and he loved them and I was close to threading the 'nut' part of the tap head trying to remove it. I actually admitted defeat on that one but have promised him I will be back when I figure out how to get it off. I was there to replace a valve on his toilet but he mentioned the dripping taps and said that 2 other plumbers had failed at removing them before me.
I remember seeing something on dragons den a year or so ago, it looked decent to be fair but was slated by the dragons.

Sounds like a nice new set of taps are needed.

Type in "Easy tapsplitter" in google if you want the Dragons Den device.... looks pretty good.

There is also a you tube video for easy tap splitter

I know it is a silly question but could these old taps be LH thread ??

I know it is a silly question but could these old taps be LH thread ??

Ive never come across this on taps but it's very worth ago! reverse threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to use a socket on a ceramic disc works - socket gets a good grip. Also, if you really had to, a set of grips will not " round off " the nut part, & tend to grip well.
If you have trouble removing the bell shaped cover on the really old taps, try tapping all around the bottom of the cover with the rubber coated handles part of pliers or similar. Can take a while, but often allows them to slacken by hand.

Have you tried completely removing the tap and then try cracking it in a more comfortable position?

Yes, especially the modern taps may need taken off & into a vice, as they are metal to metal works to tap body. If very tight, try putting the spindle only into vice jaws & put a piece of wood against the tap spout & give it a sharp tap with a hammer.

I've done years of reactive maintenance and i've never had a tap head I couldn't remove.
A ring spanner on the head gear, an adjustable on the tap spout and squeeze them together. Sometimes you have to mount the sink to get some purchase which always raises eyebrows lol.

There is a spray sold in Screw Fix, which freezes the offending item and while it is contracting is sucks in a lubricating oil.

Used it once on something. Can't rememeber what but I still have half the can in the van. Might be worth a try. It's called Crack It Freeze Spray. ae235.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tool for stubborn tap head gear? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock