Discuss £250 for an outside tape in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Photos of your neighbour's job and yours might be good if we are to make any meaningful comparison.
£250 sounds a lot unless you're in central London, but it really is hard to say if it actually is a lot. Every plumbing job is different and sometimes I'm shocked by the amount I need to quote for a job that, by the customer's description, sounded straightforward.

I've lost count of the numbers of customers who say "just do it" and I say "I'll send you an estimate first" - then they reply "I didn't think it would be that much" - they still go ahead, but sending the estimate saves ME all the hassle with questions about invoices later

There are too many unknowns here. I wouldn't go off what the neighbour said to be honest, I know it sounds the same when you say it but it could be a completely different job.

Surly this is your mistake, why would you expect a refund? Your a adult who made a bad transaction that’s all.
Because under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, in default of pre-agreement of how the work would be carried out and at what price, the work should be carried out to reasonable standard, at a reasonable cost.

The OP presumably didn't agree the cost before the work took place and felt the price was unreasonable. On which, lacking evidence, I'm not going to comment.

Roughly £30-50 for materials if it’s straight forward pipe work. £200 maybe for emergency call out inc labour if it took him half a day or traveling. Usually it’s a £80 -£100 ish job if it’s straight forward and there’s a cold pipe close by.

Seems a bit steep to me unless it took all day due to unforeseen issues. I have only given 8 estimates in 12 years, but all my customers know that I just charge X pounds per hour and I can give them a verbal estimate of how long the tropical job takes, but always based that on if there is problems it’s obviously going to take longer but I keep them in the loop as required. If I ever gave an estimate I’d have to double It just in case of issues.

Because under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, in default of pre-agreement of how the work would be carried out and at what price, the work should be carried out to reasonable standard, at a reasonable cost.

The OP presumably didn't agree the cost before the work took place and felt the price was unreasonable. On which, lacking evidence, I'm not going to comment.

What planet you on? This is how deals are done between men....

You “I need a quote for a outside tap mate?”

Plumber “I can supply and fit it for £250?”

You “yes please (OR) no thanks”

You “go ahead”

Plumber “does job as agreed”

You made a deal with a guy, now your talking nonsense, it don’t matter if he charged £2500 if you agreed to the price! Now your talking supply of goods and services Act...good luck with that one. Smarten up

I was told 20 odd years ago, by a very successful Plumber.

You can never over quote a job, but you can surely under quote a job.
He also stated that most people he quoted against - under quoted!!

He had 110 plumbers employed at the time + office staff and so on ( maybe 130 employees )

Reply to £250 for an outside tape in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone - I have an old outside tap with male thread but struggling to find a right hosepipe connection after the other one broke. The top of...
Replies
Views
Hi all Got a very old looking outside tap at our house which is not in use. A plumber is visiting soon to do a bathroom refit, and whilst here...
Replies
Views
J
I have an Arteform shower valve in my bathroom - top lever for the main shower head, middle for the handheld hose and bottom is the thermostatic...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a little problem or a question if all you experienced people can put me straight please? I am just a bit surprised - I had a call out...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock