Search the forum,

Discuss 2 tap hole basin to mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

super_baros

Hi guys,

Thought I'd ask the experts as I don't really have a clue about plumbing. I can follow instructions though...:blush5:

The problem is I have a basin with a hot and cold tap and I want to change it into a single mixer tap. Replacing the basin isn't really possible.

This guy seems to have done it here on youtube but I can't find any instructions on how to do this or even how to get started.

[video=youtube;FzsAxU3VSzI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzsAxU3VSzI[/video]

Hoping you pros can help!

Thanks! :shuriken:

you will first need to turn the water off, open both taps to make sure no water comes out, remove both taps, fit one of these Tap Hole Blanking Plug / Stopper Kitchen Sink Bathroom chrome | eBay in the hole you want to blank off, now fit a basin mixer tap in the other, if your a diyer then buy a set of flexible braided hoses to connect it up to the pipework , also fit some isolating valves on the pipework .

Wow thanks!

Could you give me or point me to some info on how to connect the cold and hit pipes underneath the basin to make one pipe to go into the mixer please?

:blush5:

depending on mixer and tap hole size you may find the mixer wont go through just drill it bigger

Not any normal drill right?

Do I need a flexible braided hose to link the two pipes together? This is done near the bottom right? When you link up the two hoses into one, how does the mixer draw hot and cold water? I read something about a tmv?

no the mixer tap will have two pipes going into it one hot one cold, just connect up to the existing hot and cold. make sure they are connected the right way by marking one as hot or cold and connect that one to the corresponding one on the tap.

Oh cool

Somebody mentioned above about an isolation valve. Where would I use this?

So far this doesn't sound too bad...it isn't right? Is the most difficult part drilling a hole big enough for a mixer?

Your knowledge worries me, this task is doable for a competent DIYer

TMV is a thermostatic mixing valve, not really needed in this instance

You need to cut the pipework down after isolating both hot and cold supplies. Fit the blanking cap and the mixer tap, then usually the mixer tap has 2 flexible connections which you need to join to the exisiting hot and cold pipes, depending on the previous set up you may need to adjust the pipework a little as the flexis wont be too long. I second the point about fitting isolation valves.

If the hole needs to be drilled bigger then it can be a pain as no location for the pilot

Whats the problem with a new basin?

Thanks Tom.

I think I understand what I need to do now. I haven't had a look but if there are already isolation valves on the existing pipework then I just need to connect the flexible hoses onto a mixer. I think the problem might be finding a mixer that fits the hole size correctly.

A new basin might be a step too far for me I'm afraid!

its either the wrong picture or its a tap that needs a tmv and double check valves before it. the item description is very vague.

You don't want that tap, nobody wants that tap, it's ridiculous.
There's no such thing as a 'mixer' tap with only one feed.
Is this a wind up?
Just price and quality of the Chinese translation is enough for me to turn and run.....

As the first post was two months ago,
still not resolved.
I would recomend sticking with the two taps, they will look better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2 tap hole basin to mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock