Search the forum,

Discuss 1/4 turn verses 'washer' tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
My customer is after a new kitchen tap.
She was a bit perturbed that her current 1/4 turn monobloc tap has died - it was quite old, and I didn't rate my chances of finding a replacement cartridge. It was also leaking in two places at the collar on the spout.
How would you all advise her on the pros and cons of 1/4 turn and washer taps?
Thanks for all your advice,
Jennie

I will replace with similar.
especially for the elderly, no need them taking ages screwing down them washered taps

jennie, ceramic disc taps do not like massive mains pressure, the higher the pressure the quicker they will wear out. I always warn customers about this when fitting them. Personally I always go for the screw down type, they last loads longer.

fair point, but for the elderly, I'll always fit 1/4 turns except they say they prefer taps with washers

Bristan used to do a 1/4 turn with rubber washer, but I think they have took it off the market. give lots of problems in this area due to high pressure, and customer thinks you are trying it on when you recommend a PRV.

You can buy decent 1/4 turn taps that will take pressure,in some catalogues it states that they are suitable for high pressure,believe screwfix do

Bristan used to do a 1/4 turn with rubber washer,

There were quite a few of these around at one point, and most of them were awful. I don't have specific knowledge of the Bristan one, but we tried a couple and then gave up on the whole design.

My recommend for older people who haven't necessarily reached the point where they want "disabled" taps, is a cruciform mixer. cruciform mixer.jpg

Easy to operate, even if the fingers are getting a bit arthiritic.

It's hard to know what is better, - 1/4 turn or standard washer kitchen taps.
Most people wanting a modern fancy kitchen will want 1/4 turn of some type & most elderly people with weak hands will also need & prefer 1/4 turn taps. I personally prefer them to use.
Most importantly try to find out what mixers are reasonable quality & decent flow for the particular water system.
Best to get 1/4 turn taps that you can source the ceramic works when needed.
A decent washer tap does usually last for years.

It's hard to know what is better, - 1/4 turn or standard washer kitchen taps.

The most solid solution is proper Pegler 159 HNP taps. More or less bulletproof, and you could probably reseat them every 5 - 10 years for your full 3 score years and ten. without running out of seat depth.

The most solid solution is proper Pegler 159 HNP taps. More or less bulletproof, and you could probably reseat them every 5 - 10 years for your full 3 score years and ten. without running out of seat depth.

Those are a no nonsense good quality tap & with the old fashioned simple 'screw & packing' works.
I repaired a Peglers pair of pillar taps that are 20 plus years old & it shocked me how new they were, inside & out. Just needed washers.
I hope the Peglers taps are largely still British made? I think some of their modern taps are foreign made. Not all of them are good IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 1/4 turn verses 'washer' tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock