Search the forum,

Discuss 0.5mb drop on tightness test - Should I be worried? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

You dont need to do a TT on a service
Unless you
Overkill ? Sorry mate but I disagree with that term. A gas pipe should be tested with a lot higher pressure than just 30mbar. You have to check the pipe under a load test which means with higher pressure than the one you will have when the pipe is in use. You will test the material and joints for weaknesses , hairline cracks or pinholes which are covered by slag. Due to the higher pressure you make sure to find those weaknesses or cracks which you won’t find by mbar.
But the pressure in the pipe is in mbar, we’re only talking about domestic installation pipework with a working pressure of 19-23 mbar and standing pressure usually a few mbar higher than that so why the need to test to 1 bar?

so do you remove the boiler cooker and fires to do the test as these can only take 20 mbar
Yes, you would need to otherwise you will ruin the appliances. You can only test them via there operating pressure as you know. But when it comes to testing the pipework throughout the property when installed new then you will need to use the appropriate fittings to cap them off and test them with higher pressure ( but that’s the way we do it in Germany ). We do 2 test before bedding pipes into the concrete, load testing ( 1bar with air or N ) for 30min -1hour and then a 15 min test leak test.

Sorry but it is difficult to explain german terms in English. I think you can’t be careful enough when it comes to gas. I know it’s done differently here and I do whatever is required but I would wish few things would be different.

Unless you

But the pressure in the pipe is in mbar, we’re only talking about domestic installation pipework with a working pressure of 19-23 mbar and standing pressure usually a few mbar higher than that so why the need to test to 1 bar?
If I can decipher his posts, I think the gas pipework in his home country is welded and welded joints can be terrible, so it makes sense to test at much higher pressure

Unless you

We have also 18-25mbar but when it comes to test pipework we have to undertake those tests and get that printed off with a special machine.

Yes, you would need to otherwise you will ruin the appliances. You can only test them via there operating pressure as you know. But when it comes to testing the pipework throughout the property when installed new then you will need to use the appropriate fittings to cap them off and test them with higher pressure ( but that’s the way we do it in Germany ). We do 2 test before bedding pipes into the concrete, load testing ( 1bar with air or N ) for 30min -1hour and then a 15 min test leak test.

Sorry but it is difficult to explain german terms in English. I think you can’t be careful enough when it comes to gas. I know it’s done differently here and I do whatever is required but I would wish few things would be different.

dont want to be rude but your / were not in germany doesnt matter what the german standards are there not ours

If I can decipher his posts, I think the gas pipework in his home country is welded and welded joints can be terrible, so it makes sense to test at much higher pressure
Yes back in Germany we have steel pipe, malleable pipes, copper pipes which could be welded, screwed or crimped. So I am just trying to say that it would be good if we had 0 tolerances as well as checking pipes slightly different. But as we know it is different in each country. I think you would find much more leaks when pipes are tested with higher pressure and it would just help to rectify the leaks before something horrible happens.

dont want to be rude but your / were not in germany doesnt matter what the german standards are there not ours
You aren’t rude. You are quite right and I agree with that. I was just mentioning my own opinion as we had a discussed about zero tolerances. I just tried to explain few more things in depth. But if you understand my point of view I think you would agree with me that I am not so wrong.

welded should be better than any soldered joint!

We should test at 20mb to avoid regulator lockout and not testing pioework the other side of it

We should test at 20mb to avoid regulator lockout and not testing pioework the other side of it
You are right scott. I know that and that’s you would not be able to test the pipework with higher pressures. You would need to test them without having anything connected. We also check only the downstream side of it

Not everyone can weld, lots of people can solder. Soldering is easy... you can pretty heat the front of the fitting and add solder... job done( usually)
Try welding a small pipe with tig/ stick / mig

Different story..

So no, welded joints could potentially leak

Not everyone can weld, lots of people can solder. Soldering is easy... you can pretty heat the front of the fitting and add solder... job done( usually)
Try welding a small pipe with tig/ stick / mig

Different story..

So no, welded joints could potentially leak
Agree with you. Welding is practing it comes with time. You will need to do it very regularly to have a good decent weld done which doesn’t leak. Do you actually learn welding in apprenticeships? I remember we had to bend steel pipe with sand, welding joints, soldering copper, brazing, ... using basically all kind of materials and fittings.

Different argument but quoting German stats again Ron. One day working to German regs will get you in to trouble. But you know best. Best to leave him to it @ShaunCorbs
You did not get my point harvest. I was saying that I stick to the rules here but would love to see some changes. The above statements are just my opinions nothing more or less. I am not working according to german standards, first of all I don’t have the parts and materials to carry out such a great work which is obviously a downside but it is what it is. It seems like you misunderstand me quite often. It is either down to my English or perhaps my understanding of your language.

So just to clarify, I stick to the rules and regs over here but have a different approach to what is right and wrong. I am just having a different opinion about plumbing in uk and in Germany. Have you ever been to Germany? Perhaps you should give it a go and come to see some of the plumbing events. Next one this year I would like to invite you and show you around if you are up for it

You did not get my point harvest. I was saying that I stick to the rules here but would love to see some changes. The above statements are just my opinions nothing more or less. I am not working according to german standards, first of all I don’t have the parts and materials to carry out such a great work which is obviously a downside but it is what it is. It seems like you misunderstand me quite often. It is either down to my English or perhaps my understanding of your language.

So just to clarify, I stick to the rules and regs over here but have a different approach to what is right and wrong. I am just having a different opinion about plumbing in uk and in Germany. Have you ever been to Germany? Perhaps you should give it a go and come to see some of the plumbing events. Next one this year I would like to invite you and show you around if you are up for it

I’ll come, as long as you can buy me some cheap Vw high power race parts, from some of the German engineering companies :D

Well you don’t as you’ve said you test gas carcass at 1 bar which could hide a small leak

Well you don’t as you’ve said you test gas carcass at 1 bar which could hide a small leak
Don’t think I ever mentioned that I test pipes in uk with 1bar. Yes I agree, I did say I would and that would be the appropriate way to pin point leaks, hairline cracks etc. But I never said I do and don’t stick to the uk rules. It’s a slight difference of having an opinion and doing it as I said I would. However, you won’t get my point as you always seem to look for excuses. Just admit for once that other people are right too and know their trade. Or are you to proud

This doesn’t sound like an opinion mate. It sounds like standard practice.

Reply to 0.5mb drop on tightness test - Should I be worried? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock