Search the forum,

Discuss your opinion please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gpack

Hi,
I'm a complete novice so would really appreciate some help.
I went to see a customer who asked me about his solar hot water system. Thermo max tubes on the roof, a 130ltr vented cylinder, pump station, micro bore pipe work and cooking oil as the heating material.

System installed in 2009 but didn't work efficiently, kept overheating, a guy he new removed fluid and replaced with cooking oil. Kept having problems and now doesn't use.

Is there any way to salvage this system??

Heard of this muttered around merchants, thought it was a wind up/myth.

If the system is full of cooking oil it will be a swine to clear out, especially if it's emulsified!

A job like this sounds like it will cost more to repair than to install a new system, what horses a*** decided to put cooking oil in it?
If anything is salvagable then a few things need to be researched, i.e. what type & size of Thermomax collector (number of tubes) is it Either HP (HEATPIPE) or DF (direct flow) the type will be on the manifold. The DF may be a bigger problem to clean.
If you attempt to clean the system you should use a specific solar cleanser which are quite caustic be warned!
I imagine by the sound of it it will be a long job.
But if the customer is up for it, you should make them aware that there are not guarantees that something else may have been damaged in the system i.e. pump etc
I wish you the best of luck!

Really, do these people honestly think, after all the R&D that goes into these systems through the hundreds of companies involved in the solar industry, that they have thought of such a cracking,innovative and ground breaking idea that involves filling your solar system with cooking oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to your opinion please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock