Discuss Y Strainer - technical in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Are you really thinking about putting such a system into your heating circuit? What are your thoughts at this point after this further discussion?

Just need some 1-22mm comp Male irons

Won’t need anything finer than 500 micros only use 50 microns on a drinking supply

Unusual to require a strainer either Y or witches hat in a domestic heating system on anything other than a temporary basis for specific cleaning.

The reason being that the pressure drop across the stainer (particularly on small bore pipework) can be quite high - hence the use of a witches hat strainer.

To instal it properly, it should have a sensor to measure the pressure drop across the strainer to signal when cleaning is required or to shut off the boiler.

There are far more cost effective ways of cleaning a system.

Also be aware that with fine mesh filters the quality is vitally important - if the filter mesh brakes away in service ( which is not uncommon) - it can cause more problems that it solves.

Please don’t read this as being negative, but in design terms on hydraulic (water and oil) systems you only instal filters when the systems dictates that they are needed. You should not instal them as a “nice to have”

Last edited:
We would always install them in a commercial applications to protect the boilers, I have even fitted a few after a mag filter on problem systems especially with Glowworm boilers which were our go to boilers when I was working on the books, the flow sensors were a nightmare if a small amount of dirt got through so in the right application there is still a place for the y type stainer look at the boss brand online . Kop

Had a few times both on pottos 24combi golds. Had to purchase and exchange. What's the chemical salt you used?? Mines corgi melt. Cheers

Spirit of Salts is Hydrochloric Acid. I think that Kilrock drain cleaner is predominantly hydrochloric acid.

Very effectice, but be very careful when using it - not just for skin burns, but inhaling the fumes is very unpleasant.

I am surprised that they sell it over the counter / ebay.

Last edited:
A strainer could be installed in conjunction with a valved bypass so it could easily be isolated and cleaned. The strainer could even only be connected to the system for the first X amount of days before being removed and cleaned. Then you run the system through the bypass and not the strainer in normal use. You can bring the strainer back inline any time you wanted to. If any work is done on the system, soldering or cutting, new components fitted or replaced on the system and you are worried about particles of a certain size entering the system just bring the strainer back in for a while.

Now, I reckon I might be over thinking this but it would not hurt a heating system to have it in place at least. I see it as something that an enthusiastic homeowner who takes a lot of interest in their house's systems might like. I don't think it's something that would make it into every system in then country like magnetic cleaning will probably do one day.

That doesn't mean it is a bad idea though and if someone wants to spend the money and effort and they are happier for it nothing wrong with that.
Hi Stig, unfortunately with regard to homeowners (just like car owners) expecting enthusiasm with regards to maintenance is only really for the minority. Its just a box on their wall even less considered than their vehicles ..which can look quite sexy.
I can see a time soon when boilers will be leased just like most of new cars and mobile
phones. Bring it on more servicing and opportunity for your approach.
We were toying with an optical sensor fitted on the return last June at a meeting with
Teddington Systems ....its really their area of speciality.
centralheatking

Reply to Y Strainer - technical in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock