Search the forum,

Discuss Would you be proud if your child ended up being a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Something that might get deep this. And I'd like it if you guys kept it amicable like you usually do. But I wondered, if your boy or girl ended up being a plumber (not always like yourself EXACTLY perhaps they go down a different route but still end up plumbing).....

.... would you be proud of them?

My stepson is a plumber had him with me to start with few ups and downs but we got there now works for a plumbing and heating company on price work housing projects has his own Gasafe registration and a family of his own and doing very nicely so yes i would say i am very proud of him and if the old man gets swapped hes first to offer his services . cheers kop

My stepson is a plumber had him with me to start with few ups and downs but we got there now works for a plumbing and heating company on price work housing projects has his own Gasafe registration and a family of his own and doing very nicely so yes i would say i am very proud of him and if the old man gets swapped hes first to offer his services . cheers kop
Well said.

Must be honest this thread has spurred from one on the plasterers forum, THIS THREAD SPECIFICALLY, and checkout how quick that went sour!

I don't want our thread to start talking about their thread. That's just weird.

Keep On-Topic.

Yep I would be happy , its never going to happen to my girls though , one fights blokes ( rozzer ) and the other is just too clean.

My son is 18 , he turned 3 weeks ago, Id love for him to work with me but the more i ask the more he rebels lol, so im giving him a couple years to mature then once he realises how lucky hed be to have a trade ill take him on ,

Unfortunately I would not recommend my Son or anyone else to come into the Plumbing, Heating & Gas installation Trades / Industry purely because of MY experience of what has happened to my body.

This is NOT meant to come across as me resenting a lifetime in our Trades / Industry - I have done quite well out of it.

Perhaps I have been `unlucky` in getting all of the `Injuries` / Physical problems that working has caused - although I used to be quite fit and strong as a younger man that did not prevent the injuries - also I know other Plumbers, Heating Engineers and Gas Engineers who have similar to what I describe below:

If I was a school leaver now but somehow had the knowledge of our Trades / the Injuries that I have had after a lifetime as a Plumber, Heating Engineer & Gas Engineer unfortunately I would not enter into an Apprenticeship for those Trades - I would prefer to become an Electrician.

Although my trades have given me a good living and a very nice Home - a lifetime working very hard has caused me to have a really bad / inoperable Back problem - lower back vertebrae and discs worn badly by almost constant bending when installing underfloor pipework and bending while doing just about everything that we work on.

Also both knees have had so much cartilage removed in 4 Arthroscopy`s that even walking causes pain and a grating sensation that feels like `bone on bone` - those knee problems were caused by `eroding`and tearing the cartilage frequently while getting up from the kneeling position that we get into probably 100 - 200 times a day when installing Heating, Plumbing & Gas pipework and almost everything else that we do on a daily basis

I also have worn vertebrae in my neck [cervical vertebrae ?] caused by constant looking downwards when installing underfloor pipework - apart from often causing bad pain my neck / top of my spine sometimes `locks up` - that is so painful that I often cannot turn my head or even get into a position which allows me to sleep.

I have arthritis in both hands from the probably hundreds of thousands of times that I have used tools / gripped things / lifted things.

When various episode of those `Injuries` occurred they caused me to have to not work for Months at a time - when my Back injury first happened I had 2 Years off work and was basically `fit for nothing` for about the first 4 Months when I went back to work - installing Heating systems was out of the question.

My Back / lower vertebrae & discs are so bad that I have injured it frequently since the original injury - the worn vertebrae / discs allow a disc to `slip` if I am not VERY careful - a disc hits my spinal cord and I would be put to the floor instantly - that would cause weeks off work.

I have been lucky in that I have worked with a friend / partner running our own Business for almost 30 years so although my injuries have caused us problems every time - we have been able to take on Tradesmen to cover my time off and I have been able to ease back into working each time when I have recovered.

Also fortunately for us my Wife has had a good Career / the same Company all Her working life so we have not had any problems keeping our Mortgage and Bills paid when I could not work.

If I was not a partner in a small reasonably successful Business or my Wife did not have such a good / well paid job my Back injury [2 years off work] would have financially ruined me - I would definitely have lost my Home.

Of course I know that a serious injury like that could have happened to Me while working in many different `physical jobs` - but my Back / lower vertebrae have actually been eroded by all of the bending that our Industries require.

I don`t want to annoy our Members / any Electrician on here - or come across as a `Traitor` to our Industries - but from a lifetime working alongside Electricians if I could have my working life again I would now choose to be an Electrician.

Although I know that they also are bending over and having to get up from a kneeling position many times a day I still perceive their work as `easier` than ours.

I have witnessed a lot of different types of Electrical work and I am basing my opinion on the Industrial / Commercial Electrical works that I have seen - not `Domestic Electrics` - although Domestic installations entail almost constant bending / getting up from kneeling so is also hard on the Back and Knees.

I know that the Technical knowledge aspect of Electrical Installation and the Electrical Engineering Industry in general is very detailed / comprehensive but I am guessing no more so than the Technical knowledge that we require for Plumbing, Heating and Gas Safety ?

As I mentioned I don`regret` my Trades / Working life - our Industries have been good to me financially [apart from a few Years off with injuries] - but my Body has been ruined in the process.

Chris

Last edited:
Electricians only deals with electricity, we have to deal with water, gas and electricity. Breakdown engineers get about 45 minutes for a repair and you are suppose to do everything "safely" , we all know what happens if a customer is left with say a gas leak. A lot less job security and far more stress working as a gas engineer.

I also wish I was a electrician or had a nice cosy office job with predictable working hours.

A very PROUD dad... My son is 23 and fully qualified Plumbing and gas heating engineer... at least it gives us something to talk and laugh about... especially when some of the older ones don't know what they are talking about. Think this one is going to be a tech ONE engineer.

Unfortunately I would not recommend my Son or anyone else to come into the Plumbing, Heating & Gas installation Trades / Industry purely because of MY experience of what has happened to my body.

This is NOT meant to come across as me resenting a lifetime in our Trades / Industry - I have done quite well out of it.

Perhaps I have been `unlucky` in getting all of the `Injuries` / Physical problems that working has caused - although I used to be quite fit and strong as a younger man that did not prevent the injuries - also I know other Plumbers, Heating Engineers and Gas Engineers who have similar to what I describe below:

If I was a school leaver now but somehow had the knowledge of our Trades / the Injuries that I have had after a lifetime as a Plumber, Heating Engineer & Gas Engineer unfortunately I would not enter into an Apprenticeship for those Trades - I would prefer to become an Electrician.

Although my trades have given me a good living and a very nice Home - a lifetime working very hard has caused me to have a really bad / inoperable Back problem - lower back vertebrae and discs worn badly by almost constant bending when installing underfloor pipework and bending while doing just about everything that we work on.

Also both knees have had so much cartilage removed in 4 Arthroscopy`s that even walking causes pain and a grating sensation that feels like `bone on bone` - those knee problems were caused by `eroding`and tearing the cartilage frequently while getting up from the kneeling position that we get into probably 100 - 200 times a day when installing Heating, Plumbing & Gas pipework and almost everything else that we do on a daily basis

I also have worn vertebrae in my neck [cervical vertebrae ?] caused by constant looking downwards when installing underfloor pipework - apart from often causing bad pain my neck / top of my spine sometimes `locks up` - that is so painful that I often cannot turn my head or even get into a position which allows me to sleep.

I have arthritis in both hands from the probably hundreds of thousands of times that I have used tools / gripped things / lifted things.

When various episode of those `Injuries` occurred they caused me to have to not work for Months at a time - when my Back injury first happened I had 2 Years off work and was basically `fit for nothing` for about the first 4 Months when I went back to work - installing Heating systems was out of the question.

My Back / lower vertebrae & discs are so bad that I have injured it frequently since the original injury - the worn vertebrae / discs allow a disc to `slip` if I am not VERY careful - a disc hits my spinal cord and I would be put to the floor instantly - that would cause weeks off work.

I have been lucky in that I have worked with a friend / partner running our own Business for almost 30 years so although my injuries have caused us problems every time - we have been able to take on Tradesmen to cover my time off and I have been able to ease back into working each time when I have recovered.

Also fortunately for us my Wife has had a good Career / the same Company all Her working life so we have not had any problems keeping our Mortgage and Bills paid when I could not work.

If I was not a partner in a small reasonably successful Business or my Wife did not have such a good / well paid job my Back injury [2 years off work] would have financially ruined me - I would definitely have lost my Home.

Of course I know that a serious injury like that could have happened to Me while working in many different `physical jobs` - but my Back / lower vertebrae have actually been eroded by all of the bending that our Industries require.

I don`t want to annoy our Members / any Electrician on here - or come across as a `Traitor` to our Industries - but from a lifetime working alongside Electricians if I could have my working life again I would now choose to be an Electrician.

Although I know that they also are bending over and having to get up from a kneeling position many times a day I still perceive their work as `easier` than ours.

I have witnessed a lot of different types of Electrical work and I am basing my opinion on the Industrial / Commercial Electrical works that I have seen - not `Domestic Electrics` - although Domestic installations entail almost constant bending / getting up from kneeling so is also hard on the Back and Knees.

I know that the Technical knowledge aspect of Electrical Installation and the Electrical Engineering Industry in general is very detailed / comprehensive but I am guessing no more so than the Technical knowledge that we require for Plumbing, Heating and Gas Safety ?

As I mentioned I don`regret` my Trades / Working life - our Industries have been good to me financially [apart from a few Years off with injuries] - but my Body has been ruined in the process.

Chris

Don't think this is negative at all to be honest, in fact I had my first 'dropped off my legs' fall due to a slipped disc last year at 36!! I've really had to focus on my core muscles since as it turned out that even with all the lifting etc they were weak as anything. Since then (touch wood) it's been ok.

Would I want a son/daughter of mine to go into the industry? To be honest I'd be proud of them whatever job they did. I'd certainly be honest about the industry - make hay while the economy is good and ride out the recessions but overall it's done me well over the last 9 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Would you be proud if your child ended up being a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH. I've got quite good at it over the years being able to recognise the manifold brand and generation by just looking at it but then I have to go through...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors for unclogging tho we never experience ours clogging up. Sure we had it clog up once and had it blown out with high pressure water from local plumber...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked very corroded around the tap handle. An Anglian Water engineer was at the property measuring my water pressure and flow rate. When he saw the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock