Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss working with ladders in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gaspastemania

What height do others on here deem it to dangerous to do small works off a ladder before you need a ali tower or something . When i mean small works as in plummage kit ,blow off , couple brackets etc as in theory working off a ladder is supposed to be a no no .

when mi legs start shaking , no if am on a roof and am not satisfied with cat ladders i get scafo put up and on mi commercial stuff i get a cherry picker

Last edited by a moderator:
its deemed unsafe and health hazard when both feet off the floor...according to our last training course...last rung before top step...on step ladders
...onto ladders all to be footed by second man...and tied off where applicableand when extended..

Did the flue and condense run off a ladder to a flat on the first floor the other day. Reckon that's the highest I'd ever want to work off a ladder.

When you work for yourself it's not always so black and white.... Always the old issue of losing a job because of a scaffolding cost!

...onto ladders all to be footed by second man...and tied off where applicableand when extended..[/QUOTE]
then how comes sky send out one man with a three piece to fit your sky dish?

Health and Safety reckon working at height is anything higher that you can trip over (like a 1" step). Couldn't believe this when I heard it. Another I heard was locally they're training construction workers (16-18 year olds) in small houses not fit to live in as working at normal heights is deemed too dangerous for this age group.

I used to be petrified of heights but am fine tootling up into a loft and anything outside up to the first floor. After than I refuse and will get someone else in to assist if necessary. I don't like getting wet either ... (probably because I'm a wet already? ...)

We often work off triple ladders doing flues and PRVs etc, I not keen being up near the top, but its got to done.

...onto ladders all to be footed by second man...and tied off where applicableand when extended..
then how comes sky send out one man with a three piece to fit your sky dish?[/QUOTE]

dont know,why do sky send out installers who throw the digibox trough your front window with a million foot of cable fitted?or stick cables trough the vent feeding air to the ancient bermuda?lazy barstewerds

Up to and including using a ladder as access onto the roof, onto a roofing ladder generally, on a 2 storey house. So that's ground and first floors then gutters.

Add another floor and it's time to get the scaffolders in. We'll only do this for access and 'light works', ie making good, putting a flue in, running a pipe up to a loft etc. Anything larger like solar panels and its scaffold anyway.

I'm happy at gutter height............on a bungalow, its not the being up there its the thought of coming off. Somebody my size would leave a hell of a hole.

what were ladders invented for then eh?????????/

how come every plumber has them strapped to their vans???..

5 meters for me on good ground as i have a falling habbit.lol.

did a pipe and blow off at 7.5 meters last year in bad wind and can say i was glad to finish it.

whaen i worked as a maintenance plumber for a hotel chain in the late 70's, i used to foot the ladder for the window claener on his wooden quad's cleaning the fourth floor windows. there was so much bend at that hight the ladder went up the building almost vertical.

whaen i worked as a maintenance plumber for a hotel chain in the late 70's, i used to foot the ladder for the window claener on his wooden quad's cleaning the fourth floor windows. there was so much bend at that hight the ladder went up the building almost vertical.

As an apprentice I was sent up a ladder to make good a flue on a Baxi Brazilia. It was 3 floors and half of a sub basement, basically a big triple on full extension, bloody thing was springing off the wall with the step bounce until you were at least half way up it...I've never been quite the same since, was cra**ing bricks for hours after!!!

Its crazy what we do on ladders , asked this question as lately had a couple boiler jobs where have been up a treble ladder pretty much extended right out even the customer has stated on last job that bit daft to do that lol.
starting to think now getting a donkey in if its anything over 20 foot losing interest in ladders.
CSCs test states ladders for access only with 3 points of contacts at all time .

my limit is the height of a soil branch on a stack, but only for a standard sized house. them big victorian houses can get someone else in !!!

i don't like heights and the length of my ladders reflects this!

Last edited by a moderator:
As Part of applying for my MCS accreditation, which I still do not have, I was told I would have to do a health and safety and working at heights course the assessor recommended that I use NICEIC trainning

So I did what I thought was health and safety and working at heights course with NICEIC last year after settling down in me chair the bloke at the front pipes up and says "this is not a health and safety and working at heights course, it is a health and safety and working at heights awareness course" can you believe it this course costs ÂŁ180 and is acceptible by MCS.
So what does this mean, Absolutley nothing I have a certificate that basically tells me that when I go onto a site I am aware that I should not work at heights with out safety equipment I should not work on ladders or scaffolding because I have not had training I should only work with power tools that I have been trained to use.

So my advice to anyone is avoid this this course as it is not worth the money or the paper its printed on

I would also like to say that if you look at me signature that says what I think of health and safety
I have no fear of working at heights, I only try to avoid the ground when landing

Last edited:
working for my old firm we all was given steddy legs for our ladders long yellow legs that go on the side of the ladders sorted but even if it looks dodgy
thayed get a cherry picker

dont forget if your work below floor level, ie in a hole in the ground, under a floor your are also working at height.

i don't like to work higher than my head i.e. about 5'8" lol.

I get vertigo peering over skirting boards, that's why I stopped growing when I did! (5'3" now lol).

Ladders don't worry me, nor does falling off. It's the abrupt stop i'd be concerned about!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to working with ladders in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a...
Replies
Views
Boiler and Megalow mistery Hi, Just moved into a house from a flat and I have a couple of queries. We have a Worcester gas fired boiler -...
Replies
Views
I need to change some leaking valves and fit another radiator to the system. How long can I safely leave the boiler off and drained before there's...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello, Newly moved into a house with a mains fed cylinder system. I've never had one before and struggling to get it working. When I turn either...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock