Discuss Working for British Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wrecked_24_7

I have recently been offered the position of apprentice technical installation engineer with Britsh Gas. I was wondering what kind of a company are they to work for as I have heard differing opinions on the pressures and benefits of being an engineer with BS. Any inbiased and honest opinions are appreciated

Well would have thought and am sure the apprenticeship with BG will be very good and put you in good standing in the trade
Are training costs covered or do you have to subsidise them

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
A job is a job no matter who it is with and if you have the chance, take it.
You will receive good training and experience. If you don't like it, after a few years you can move on and you will have a better grasp of service and repair than most.
There are worse to work for than BG.

Go for it. their training is second to none even if they are not the best to work for. I know, I used to work for them.

just done 10 years with them, the training is second to none but you are expected to be a salesman as much as an engineer! i say go for it do 5 years with get all the training you can with them let them renew your acs then leave and work for yourself! i wish i'd done it years ago!!!

The thing is most of the things you read about BG are usually about their business practises not their training. Which has a reputation as being excellent.

My argument about them, is that they are not the BG the nationalised company renowned world wide for its openness and help, because it was nationalised and so had few commercial influences to make excessive profits.

The object of a nationalised company was to work in the customers interests, keeping profit motive out of the equation and supply gas at virtually cost to the country. Which in turn would make everybody richer and our industries more competitive by reducing running costs.

Its fair to say though the nationalised BG dominated the gas market, mostly though I don't think the man in the street minded.

It did build up a huge good reputation with the public and when people spoke about gas, they usually referred to any company working with gas as BG regardless of who they where.

So if people wanted a service to do with gas it was always usually BG they went to first. That is a fantastic trading advantage.

Imagine being in your area where everybody automatically associated your company as being the best and the main authority, if not the only authority on the work they wanted to get done?

The thing is the BG brand is still very strong in peoples minds as being this.

But its now a commercial company required to make profit and so it could perhaps be argued the reputation as a peoples company could give them an unfair advantage in the market over other companies.

As a matter of interest a lot of domestic gas technology came from the old British Gas research departments. Even the info tag on an appliance is really called a Watson House label named after the old British Gas research place at Watson House.

I know from my own experience that BG would give you on request free technical material of many kinds.

I don't even like to think of how much you would probably have to pay for similar publications today.

I suppose though as somebody said, today it seems, if we can make a few bob out of anything we will. I often wonder what do you think happened to public service?

Personally I wonder if trading as BG is not to big an advantage and should be made to change its name, to give others a chance.

But if you as you say have a chance to work for them take it right away don't muck about.

as said in previous posts take it, there training will have you in great stead in the trade for future years, and your gas experince will be second to none.

are they paying for the cost of your training? as i know someone who went for a similar posistion a few months back and being over the correct age was told the training would cost him 16k:confused:

i saw that as well if your not under 19 its 16k as a contribution towards your training

Take the apprenticeship mate, as all the gas repair boys on here Inc myself will tell u, jobs and especially jobs with free training are thin on the ground in our current economy and with the current heatwave also(gas companies generally don't take folk on in the summer, usually the wks running up to the winter is when jobs become availible, you'll find this out yourself about the gas industry in a few yrs time). Bg will train u to a high standard no matter what alot of folk may tell u. Take it mate, IMHO you would be complete bonkers not to take a free apprenticeship these days

I turned down a job with them in 2005 ish, the training was 6wks away in Leeds. From the interview I wasnt impressed, but thats just me.
If you really want to be a gas fitter then do it.

snap there hand off then mate, it will set you up for good stead later on in life, and you will learn a great deal.

good luck with it.

how did you get away with not paying? i am 20 and have been told i need to pay but cant afford it is there anyway around paying it?

ye there is a contribution to pay but 16k is alot for a student and they want it in full they told me surely there is a way to pay it monthly or have it taken out of your wages ?

Maybe you could spread it over a few gas bills,like they allow people to do with the cost of boiler changes
As they did with a customer this week
I suggested getting a bank loan as I was 40% cheaper,she said BG do not charge interest !!!,I pointed out maybe in 40% extra charge,there maybe room for a little interest allowance :(:(

But as said if no training fee,Wrecked ,get in there first thing Monday morning and get that contract signed !!! :D

she said they don't charge interest? so how does this work then do you pay 16k out of your own money in full or do british gas pay it and you pay them back over time?

Sorrry m1ch3l

Was just saying ,BG are quick enough to spread payments when it suits them,ie boiler changes,why not training ??

puddle it never amazes me how stupid people are
cost of boiler change with bg 3000.00 interest free
cost with independant 2000.00 using a loan over one year
approx 400.00 interest max
total cost 2400.00 saving minimum of 600.00
but no they think they are gettig a bargain because bg is interest free
iiiiddddiiiioooottttssss

Do not hesitate and take this offer up mate. The training is superb and whatever a lot of people say the job is what you make it.
Seriously, its a no brainer. ACCEPT IT.

and magnacleans and power flushes
:D:D

imho

As a professional, you'll know they are a necessary evil though.. magnacleans??? Oh they are so 2009...it's spirovents now!!!

I have recently been offered the position of apprentice technical installation engineer with Britsh Gas. I was wondering what kind of a company are they to work for as I have heard differing opinions on the pressures and benefits of being an engineer with BS. Any inbiased and honest opinions are appreciated

Well mate, you sure got the right username if you're joining BG, cos that's what your first winter will make you. The training is very very good, I think everyone agrees with that. However there are certain expectations required of you, you must always offer 'Best Advice', which were necessary will involve the customer parting with money. The idea being that we would like everyone to have a nice squeaky clean trouble free system. Anyway I would advise you to be always honest there is a few who are unscroupulous, they do get caught and they are sacked, they tarnish the rest. You will see 7 - 8 different boilers a day each with a different problem so your learing curve is steep. The support you get is premier league. So mate if you have doubts don't bother, stay on the dole and listen to the bad advice about working for BG. Of course it's pressured and I moan like the rest - .pressure is not having a job and trying to make ends meet.

BG training is second to none and well worth going for, just try not to get sucked into the BG culture of preying on little old ladies and the vunerable, in their sales tactics when you have finnished yer trainning

BG training is second to none and well worth going for, just try not to get sucked into the BG culture of preying on little old ladies and the vunerable, in their sales tactics when you have finnished yer trainning

Awww Unguided!! now you know that that is just not true.. I've had to follow up on absolutely loads of incidents of non BG nonces that have done exactly what you say BG do. The point is that not all non BG gas blokes are like that and those in BG who do it are also in a tiny minority as are non BG blokes.. but ur right there are some about.

Hi Chris , I imagine the training will be very difficult as you will be in Leeds and I am going to get you mortally drunk most nights! haha ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Working for British Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock