Discuss Worcester greenstar 40 cdi Heat Exchanger Rumble in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gary

Hi Guys

Today a changed a gas valve on a 40 cdi and now as it burns after there's rumble (not good) sound coming from the heat exchanger. The boiler needs a service as it been requesting one for months apparently.
I'm thinking it is either the gas ratios or there is just to much crap in the heat exchanger.
I've put them on a hot water only diet for tonight and will sort it out tomorrow.
Any ideas?

Over gassing

Had a rumble on a worcester gs 28 i which sounded like it came from heat exchanger, checked condense as terminated under kitchemn sink . Turned out it was blocked ,cleared it and stopped rumbling all work nice n dandy.

Do you think it was wise for me to let them use the hot water for tonight?

i was going to say condence trap aswell, if you fitted a gas valve then you should have checked the flue gasses, 1 night shouldnt hurt aslong as you did the usual checks tightness etc.

Yeah, tightness passed, but my flue analyser finally gave up the ghost a couple of days ago. My new one should arrive tomorrow so will check it all on my return.

Yeah, tightness passed, but my flue analyser finally gave up the ghost a couple of days ago. My new one should arrive tomorrow so will check it all on my return.

I'm sure the mi says you should never work on this boiler without an FGA

Did you rate it?

The worcester valves dont come set up, you need your analyser to set it up after installing it.

Yeah gas rated, i know it was a school boy error not having my fga working.
Simon Johns do you think it was a bad move giving them the hot water option.

Not really a bad idea but you don't know what readings you have. I would suggest you make it your first job thou.

Technically this is naughty. It should be classed as uncomissioned appliance. Turned off and label affixed

Yeah gas rated, i know it was a school boy error not having my fga working.
Simon Johns do you think it was a bad move giving them the hot water option.
leaving it working to dhw????????????????????is safer than working in ch??????????????? i cant see how mate it goes to full rate in dhw i would not have left it woking with a noise

Bet you wished you didn't post now lol

Keep telling everyone to be a brickie all your tools in a bucket and go home forget whenever you want

Keep telling everyone to be a brickie all your tools in a bucket and go home forget whenever you want

I've always fancied that job in the city. Driving a sweeping machine in a a/c cab. Listening to the radio. And keeping the streets clean

I've always fancied that job in the city. Driving a sweeping machine in a a/c cab. Listening to the radio. And keeping the streets clean

looks cushy number that does , prob pays same wage as plumber these days

When you change either a gas valve or fan on a Worcester you MUST reset the co-co2 high-low ratios

I hate it when I think I may have made a mistake, Like yesterday I had to go back on a job where there was a small drop and I could not remember if I tested a 22mm compression fitting ,which as it happens was fine , Unlike last friday I turned off the mains on a house and got a great shock when isolating some wires that the sparks had wired directly into the meter, That will teach me

Update.. if anyone is interested. the pipework was under sized and when on Max output working pressure dropped from 23
mb to 8mb. Not a good time of the year to tell the customer he needs his concrete floor chasing to lay a new gas pipe. So Convinced it was co ratio's and my broken analyser forgot to go back to basics.

Update.. if anyone is interested. the pipework was under sized and when on Max output working pressure dropped from 23
mb to 8mb. Not a good time of the year to tell the customer he needs his concrete floor chasing to lay a new gas pipe. So Convinced it was co ratio's and my broken analyser forgot to go back to basics.

Gary,

Are you saying the inlet pressure dropped to 8mbar at the inlet of the boiler?

Can I suggest you recheck the working pressure at the meter test nipple.

Sounds like the meter governor is knackered.

8 mbar at a boiler inlet test nipple even tho a 40 cdi boiler is very very low, or the meter is about 30m away from the boiler and outlet in 15mm !!

or another thought were you trying to test burner pressure?, the Greenstar range only allow inlet working pressures, burner pressures can read negative !

Kev

My first thought was the governer, but working pressure at the meter was 20mb.
The scary thing is that it was installed in 2006 and not picked up on commission or since. The new owners have only been there 3 months.
I don't know weather the new cit gas valve i fitted has made a difference but all my test were meter side of the valve. I suggested they get a second opinion and the other engineer came to the same conclusion.
However he was some how able to get the pressure up to 14mb, don;t know how?

Hi Gary,

It depends on how you/ he is checking the inlet working pressure. ie just checking the inlet pressure with a hot tap running or using the spanner button heating on max. Later models have the boost button under the spanner.

Worcester MI state min 18 mbar !

Are you using the new gas analyser for the pressure testing ?

My telegan Sprint needs resetting on the pressure button before connecting onto a new test nipple. The unit is 6 years old but has been calibrated every year, had new pump/ sensors ect.

If you are not doing this it might explain the difference in yours / his readings ??

It does sound tho like a nice few lengths of 35mm and 28mm will be reqd very quickly.

Your co/co2 readings are irrelevant if you have such a low inlet pressure.

To cover yourself I would AR the appliance.

Kev.

That's true, i was testing mine on max via the heating boost with my now much loved (expensive) Kane. If he did his on dhw it may differ, but if he has taken his readings on the dhw then he is as bad as the guy who commissioned it.
I left it with power off, gas isolated and advised them not to use it with signature. Other engineer has allowed them to use dhw till the up grade can happen.
Be it on his head, but it has been fine for 5 years and its christmas!

Gary,

Are you saying the inlet pressure dropped to 8mbar at the inlet of the boiler?

Can I suggest you recheck the working pressure at the meter test nipple.

Sounds like the meter governor is knackered.

8 mbar at a boiler inlet test nipple even tho a 40 cdi boiler is very very low, or the meter is about 30m away from the boiler and outlet in 15mm !!

or another thought were you trying to test burner pressure?, the Greenstar range only allow inlet working pressures, burner pressures can read negative !

kev is giving good ,solid advice here pipework may be undersized but a Governor fault is the likely fault here

Surely changed the govenor....prob took the opportunity to replace meter with a shiny new more efficient one while they were there.

Sound like a right nightmare lets hope its sorted , I had to ID a 85KW boiler in a small office block the other day and the guy was going mental and talking about closing down because he could not afford a new boiler, you could use trac pipe if you get the rerun

Sound like a right nightmare lets hope its sorted , I had to ID a 85KW boiler in a small office block the other day and the guy was going mental and talking about closing down because he could not afford a new boiler, you could use trac pipe if you get the rerun

have you used much of this trac pipe marc....have seen it but personally never used it....is it cost effecient compared to copper/iron....

I havent used it but have handled it and is a piece of p iss to fit like compression fittings I believe the fitting are not cheap , but I dont care as I am not paying , I have seen a house where they ran it around the front of a building at first floor level and it looks terrible bright yellow looks like a builder hose lol. but you could do a huge rerun in a couple of hours using it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester greenstar 40 cdi Heat Exchanger Rumble in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock