Currently reading:
Worcester Bosch 24 combi boiler

Discuss Worcester Bosch 24 combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leoki

Hello everyone, i need some impartial advice please, the following are the facts and i would appreciate honest but polite ideas/suggestions please -

I have replaced an existing radiator on a combi system. In order to do the work i turned the boiler off and drained down the system with a hose using one of the radiator valves, as well as opening the bleed valves on the radiators to make sure the water was out of the system. I fitted the new radiator, made adjustments to the pipework as necessary and refilled the system using the external filling loop to 1 bar cold as per the manual. The system filled and there were no problems but i had to drain down again because one of my soldered joints was leaking. Having re-soldered the leaking end feed joint i proceeded to fill the system again to 1bar cold. As the analogue needle approached 1bar i literally had my hand on the filling loop to turn it off when water started to pour from the bottom of the boiler and it was also discharging from the vent pipe outside. Net result no water in system therefore no heating, no hot water.

There is a policy to cover the boiler in event of break down with Direct Line who in turn have arranged for Homeserve to attend. The engineer came at about midday today and in a roundabout way said he thought it was the PRV that had failed and that he did not have a spare on him and that he would need to go away and we would hear back from him. Having heard nothing for a couple of hours Homeserve were contacted and they proceeded to advise the customer that their engineer had reported to them that the plumber (ME) had tampered with the PRV ! therefore causing a fault and this was not a breakdown. I have advised the customer that i did not interfere with the boiler other than to re-fill it. I am not a heating engineer and do not profess to be and would never under any circumstance interfere with a boiler.

The customer has made a strong call to direct line, they were literally in the process of putting notes on their computer against the address saying no callout fault caused by plumber but having explained to them that i have in no way tampered with the PRV they are arranging for another engineer to attend hopefully with the right part to fix but Homeserve have not yet confirmed a time or date to resolve the problem.

Having read this short story the boiler is still waiting repair and my confidence has taken a knock because the work i do is always to a good standard . My question is and here is where i ask for honest but polite responses, could my actions have resulted in the problem or could this be bad luck for me and a mechanical breakdown of the boiler. Has anyone had any similar situations with Homeserve ?

Last edited by a moderator:
if system was full of muck and the pressure gauge was blocked or faulty , then you might have over pressurising it to 3 bar without knowing that you have ,which would have activated the PRV when pressure was up and above 3bar .
in my experience i have never had a prv letting by at 1 bar ,unless system was over pressurised before you have got there !
was there integral filling loop ,or external type ?

SafeGasInstall - The boiler has an external filling loop, its the only part that i touched.

i have never ever had this fault my self , like i said it must be a sludge system and gauge not reading correctly as you said that you did not go over 1 bar !
it is not possible for prv to let water at low pressure as its mechanical device not electronically controled

If it's a Greenstar Junior 24i, I've been told that the PRV does fail regularly on these. The one on our boiler has within a few years of installation. If there is loose dirt/magnetite in the system, it only takes a little to prevent a good seal on the PRV causing it to let by.

if system was full of muck and the pressure gauge was blocked or faulty , then you might have over pressurising it to 3 bar without knowing that you have ,which would have activated the PRV when pressure was up and above 3bar .
in my experience i have never had a prv letting by at 1 bar ,unless system was over pressurised before you have got there !
was there integral filling loop ,or external type ?
heres the op,s problem well put stan

OP has listed that he has never ever touched it !!!!!

Edited your original post I see! :wink_smile:

It is quite possible as others have said that the system may have temporarily been overpressurised causing the PRV to open up. If the system contained dirt/magnetite this may caused an imperfect seal on the PRV thus causing it to let by.

As mentioned in the other thread (linked above), they carry spare PRVs as they are "rubbish". Also, they have to return around half of them as they open at 1-1.5 bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was water pouring from the bottom of the radiator, surely you had tightened the joints up ?? or was the End feed joint still leaking ??

goz666, sorry it was the boiler not the radiator that was leaking from the bottom, that was my typo

Whn1, no i did not close any isolation valves off under the boiler, e.g on the flow or return pipework, i just drained from a radiator valve and re-filled using the external filling loop.

For anyone who might be interested, the boiler is still waiting on Homeserve to return with a new PRV to fix. The boiler stopped working on Wedensday of this week, Homeserve have said to the customer that the part has been ordered and should be available to them on Monday with a view to fitting on Tuesday, nearly a week after the boiler stopped working. I am not a heating engineer but a cursory look of the internet shows the wide availailability of new PRV for Worcester Bosch boilers for about £20.00 inc vat. Surely this is a common part that they should almost have access to via a local merchants the same day if not the very next day ? I have suggested to the customer that i get them a spare PRV which they can keep at the house to reduce any delays in the future if the PRV goes again. This will be the second PRV on this particular boiler in 18/24 months.

Thankyou to everyone who has taken the time to leave a comment. I hope for the customer more than anything else that the whole situation can be resolved quickly this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester Bosch 24 combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back