Search the forum,

Discuss Main Eco Compact vs Worcester Bosch 1000 in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 131795

hi everyone

a local installer has recently quoted me £3,660 for a complete install using the main eco compact 25kw boiler

i have also been waiting for more feedback and reviews of the new worcester bosch 1000 which seems to be getting quite positive initial feedback, and a few criticisms which are to be expected. but it looks like a fairly disruptive product in terms of what you are getting for the cost, stainless hex, ease of working inside, etc.

being such a new product there's probably little real world experience with the worcester bosch 1000 at the moment, but going on the information that is out there, which do you think is the better option out of these two boilers?

thanks!

Main due to being a 5 year warranty

Worcester is 2 unless a filter is fitted

And 30kw aslong as your mains water flow is above / around the 12lpm mark

if you have a bath its better, also in winter the cold supply is a lot colder hence 30k will deliver you a better hot flow rate at that time of year;
hope that helps

Main due to being a 5 year warranty

Worcester is 2 unless a filter is fitted

And 30kw aslong as your mains water flow is above / around the 12lpm mark
interesting point shaun. i thought they were both five years but yeah it seems like the five years on the worcester comes with the filter caveat. i suppose everyone installs a filter so not really a consideration. or does the lower warranty of two years without filter suggest it might actually be less reliable, if main are happy to offer five without that requirement?

Yep and no problems I’ve had from a main / baxi same boiler has 5-10 year’s warranty depending on model there all the same inside etc and also how is the installer complying with part L did he do a room by room Heatloss and size the rads for a lower flow temp eg 55 ?

it is interesting that you ask this question. it is almost as if it is being suggested that this often gets missed.

but yeah, this was done. big rads is what we want.

what do you think about the main eco compact generally?

i'm at the budget end here with my little one bed flat so requirements are as minimal as it gets.

the installer works with baxi or vaillant and also quoted me £4500 for the new vaillant ecotec plus 826, which looks like a really nice boiler with it's modulation down to 2.5kw. this was the one szymon from urban plumbers recommended.

but would i see a grands worth of difference between these two options?

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a brilliant boiler easy to service and repair worst comes to the worst

It all depends if it’s sized correctly you will be fine (rads) part L came into action September this year so it’s a new thing that he might of overlooked also controls wise are you looking at weather comp ?

It all depends if it’s sized correctly you will be fine (rads) part L came into action September this year so it’s a new thing that he might of overlooked also controls wise are you looking at weather comp ?

i will mention this to him. no weather comp, just an EPH C4 which i think is an opentherm load comp only job.

shaun

am i likely to see significant benefits by paying more for a much more efficient boiler like the new vaillant ecotec plus 826 ?

as mentioned he quoted me £4500 for this install vs the main at £3500

shaun

am i likely to see significant benefits by paying more for a much more efficient boiler like the new vaillant ecotec plus 826 ?

as mentioned he quoted me £4500 for this install vs the main at £3500

No providing your min output is above your radiators eg let’s say boiler is 5kw min output and your rads are 6kw this is fine

hiya pork chop! can i ask why you would do that?

i'm leaning toward that too..

although there is also a vaillant ecotec plus 826 25kw, as a higher end option, but not sure it's worth an extra grand..!
Wouldn't have the new Vaillant. Went on the training course, not impressed.

I have the Eco Compact in my own house - is that enough? 😂

ahh great. the only thing i'm concerned with about it is the lack of wide modulation.. you prob have a huge house to heat but my one bedroom flat is only about 4.5kw and i think it only modulates to about 6.7kw - i'm having a hard time trying to work out if that would make any meaningful difference. other concern is if it's too noisy as it's going in airing cupboard in bedroom.

ahh great. the only thing i'm concerned with about it is the lack of wide modulation.. you prob have a huge house to heat but my one bedroom flat is only about 4.5kw and i think it only modulates to about 6.7kw - i'm having a hard time trying to work out if that would make any meaningful difference. other concern is if it's too noisy as it's going in airing cupboard in bedroom.
If it's any help -

I have electronic TRV system, so the load is very minimal. In winter my flow temp is usually running at about 30oc, with very little load. Yes it does cycle as it can't modulate that low (Although even a boiler with a 1:10 modulation probably wouldn't), but it's fine no issue.

It was a trade off of having a boiler with a wider modulation, or Opentherm. I went with the latter and it brought my usage down by 25%.

I wouldn't worry too much about the modulation, I think the big savings are in system controls.

If it's any help -

I have electronic TRV system, so the load is very minimal. In winter my flow temp is usually running at about 30oc, with very little load. Yes it does cycle as it can't modulate that low (Although even a boiler with a 1:10 modulation probably wouldn't), but it's fine no issue.

It was a trade off of having a boiler with a wider modulation, or Opentherm. I went with the latter and it brought my usage down by 25%.

I wouldn't worry too much about the modulation, I think the big savings are in system controls.
ahh that's great advice thanks very much for that

i will likely just go with the main then. combination of that and the EPH C4 seems like a very solid budget combo.

thanks again for your advice here

i have just measured the flow rate from the bath tap and it's coming out at 15 l/min

previously i had only measured the shower or kitchen tap and it comes out of those at around 9 l/min

any idea why there is such a difference! but i guess this means i am better off getting the 30kw version of the boiler?

i would go for the baxi 30k as stated in my post, have same boiler at home (not yhe compac) as it was not on the market at the time, been in now for 11yrs and not missed a beat. and great hot water too,

thanks again for your advice here

i have just measured the flow rate from the bath tap and it's coming out at 15 l/min

previously i had only measured the shower or kitchen tap and it comes out of those at around 9 l/min

any idea why there is such a difference! but i guess this means i am better off getting the 30kw version of the boiler?
Any tap/shower etc causes a restriction to the water on its way through the fitting. The pathways through a modern tap/shower can be extremely small (3 mm bore, as an example) - different fittings, different restrictions it’s as simple as that.

25kw will still heat the water, just at a slower rate and the flow restrictor in the boiler will account for that. So I guess you have to ask yourself how many times a year do you use the bath? If it's frequently then got for the 30kw, if it's twice a year the 25kw is probably more than enough.

BTW fitted a few 25kws, and the hot water is definitely OK!

Reply to Main Eco Compact vs Worcester Bosch 1000 in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock