Discuss Worcester 28CDI MKII RSF problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Foxosaur

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice.

About 18 months ago we purchased a house that had this boiler already in it, on completion we wanted it serviced, saw it was old as far as boilers go and it was.

Had no problems with the boiler until it was serviced in December just gone. Something that was noted, I don't want to throw off anyones initial thoughts - is that he commented that the gas inlet pipe was only 15mm and not the regular 25mm and so the pressure was different to expected. At that point he adjusted the pressure we think to likely be in line with what it "should" be.

When it was serviced, the next day, the CH LED would come on as normal (for on demand) but sometimes would start flashing (slow flashes). We called the engineer who serviced it who looked at it and put in a air pressure switch but this did not rectify the problem, the next thing he said was "depends on how much you want to spend, we don't know what the fault is".

We found online the boiler manual for that exact boiler, confirming it was a ignition lockout. To reset the lock out, we would need to reset the boiler (red button - press 5 seconds and then wait).

At that point, we decided to get a 2nd opinion from an approved Worcester boiler who said, it was likely the gas valve but they were reluctant to offer anything other than to replace the boiler due to other parts that were noticed to be worn or in bad condition. Though they did tell me they checked the electrical contacts and all of that seemed to be well. Anyway they quoted £2.6-£2.9k

Sadly, this has come at the worst possible time and we really cant afford a new boiler for a good 6-12 months.

So it leaves us with, as far as we know, 3 options.

1) Replace the boiler on finance (well, not on 5+ years, no way), on a 2-3 year deal. Can anyone recommend a installer?
2) Replace the boiler by a Worcester approved engineer and try and get a like-for-like modern equivalent and see if we can buy the boiler ourselves maybe. Hopefully get it done for £1500 or something
3) Take out a British Gas Repair and service plan for a year for £22 and let them deal with the problem with the £99 initial fixed price repair. Are they likely to be able to fix it? I'm worried about taking the plan out and nothing really being done to fix it apart from to bear with it?

Does this problem sound like the gas valve? Its intermittent and pretty unpredictable when it wil lock out and need resetting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon

Reply to 1 & 2 get some quotes from other installers, £1500, could be possible to replace for this but may need new gas supply to boiler , installers would look at this wile giving price to replace, Why does it need to be a Worcester boiler ?, lots of other makes on the market that offer better length of warranty's !

3. Forget BG if boiler is over 10 years they wont touch it, they will just talk you into a new boiler and service contract and it will cost you more than the 2.5K that you have been quoted.

Just get some independent installers to quote (2 or 3) also ask on this site for a installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester 28CDI MKII RSF problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock