Currently reading:
Worc Bosch took 20 minutes for boiler "service"

Discuss Worc Bosch took 20 minutes for boiler "service" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul-Worc Bosch

Hi,

I've had an annual service contract with Worcester Bosch (WB) for 10 years. I've got a Greenstar ZWBR 7-25.

In March 2013 their Service Technician spent no more than 20 minutes inside of my home carrying out a full annual service. My father attended the service, as I was at work. When I found out the duration of his visit I was very angry. This contract costs me the best part of £200 each year. Amongst other things safety checks are meant to be carried out in this service.

The Technician left without issuing a service report, and this has not been received subsequently, despite more than 30 days elapsing since this visit.

I complained to WB, sending my mobile phone records that show the time and phone number of the Technicians call, when he announced he would arrive in "10 minutes". Then the record of my father’s call confirming that the Technician had finished and was outside in his van. I was able to accurately demonstrate to WB that the Technician could not have spent more than 20 minutes in my home.

I do not know why WB did this. My father is elderly and maybe looked like someone who would not notice that an improper service had been carried out.

After submitting the complaint email to WB explaining what had happened I received a phone call from the northern service manager. Nine days had elapsed between the email being sent and the first contact (other than their email receipt), this phone call. I do not think this length of time is acceptable for any complaint, let alone one where clearly an improper service, quite possibly skipping safety checks is the topic.

The Manager agreed that a proper service could not have been carried out in 20 minutes. He said that the Technician concerned was on holiday, but he would be taking up the matter with him upon his return. Apologies were given, and it was agreed that a return visit by another Technician was be made. This time I was assured he would carry out the service correctly. A time of 8am was set on the agreed date.

I waited in my house for the Technician to turn up. By 11am I phoned WB to see why he had not turned up. I was told, that although the visit was shown on their system no Technician had been assigned. Thus no one was going to attend. Why had I not been contacted before the visit to discuss this problem?

I asked for the name of the person next up the hierarchy of service management, this was not given on the basis that the WB employee manning their switchboard didn't know and couldn’t find out.

So I asked if a Technician could be redirected onto my job, given the circumstances. This was refused.

I tried contacting the northern service manager directly (remember he had previously called me using his own mobile, and told me it was ok to phone him if there were any problems) I got his answer phone, he was on holiday.

WB has placed an "urgent" priority on my follow up complaint, which I lodged today.

I will keep updating his thread. I believe this kind of behaviour needs to be publicised so that those interested in using or purchasing from WB can make informed decisions about this company.

I expect WB will eventually provide a correct service. But for me that’s not the point. There are wider implications to what they attempted to do.

I would appreciate any advice you could offer on how to deal with this situation:

1) 1) Has there been an attempt to defraud me?

2) 2) Are they in breach of legislation by consenting to carry out a service with safety checks, then attempting to mislead me when they didn’t actually carry out these checks?
3) Should I seek legal representation at this stage?
4) Is there an industry ombudsman I can turn to?

Regards
Paul

As we all ask,what is a 'service' ????
Well, in my opinion in specific a manufacturers engineer (was he?) should at least follow the written instructions of his own employer.

On the other side I do see the BG-type of service as well as the WB-quick service as a total legitimate way of doing it as they do provide a guarantee with it.

But your neighbour going about servicing boilers should not try to accommodate their way of working as he does not provide the customer with a guarantee on the boiler function. In this case there should be a complete service the only thing a customer can expect.

Not to forget BG as WB sit in the board making the rules for us. If anything would come across they can legalize it to an extend. Does Joe Plumber have the same possibility? Not exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, in my opinion in specific a manufacturers engineer (was he?) should at least follow the written instructions of his own employer.

On the other side I do see the BG-type of service as well as the WB-quick service as a total legitimate way of doing it as they do provide a guarantee with it.

But your neighbour going about servicing boilers should not try to accommodate their way of working as he does not provides the customer with a guarantee on the boiler function. In this case there should be a complete service the only thing a customer can expect.

Not to forget BG as WB sit in the board making the rules for us. If anything would come across they can legalize it to an extend. Does Joe Plumber have the same possibility? Not exactly.

I don't want to dig it all up again, but I can't even remember reading in the new Worcester blurb to check the expansion pressures on a annual service!

I know Vaillant say to check on every third year... They also tell you to isolate & drain to do so ... Between 0.75 - 0.90

But your neighbour going about servicing boilers should not try to accommodate their way of working as he does not provide the customer with a guarantee on the boiler function. In this case there should be a complete service the only thing a customer can expect.

A service must be as mi's otherwise it's not a service surely ? A BG service as we all know isnt

I don't want to dig it all up again, but I can't even remember reading in the new Worcester blurb to check the expansion pressures on a annual service!

I know Vaillant say to check on every third year... They also tell you to isolate & drain to do so ... Between 0.75 - 0.90
3 years is a good time if you use nitrogenspray for expansion vessels. Very normal in Germany.

Seen any of the sprays at the merchants? With air you are stretching it on most vessels with 2 years.

Had 2 WBs where the expansion vessel failed every year from year one service. Customers got new vessels during guarantee period. What if it had not been checked? Expensive repair on customers behalf. Not good service.

You are right. Reading it is a bit of a joke. For example you get told to lower the boiler control into the service position. And then? Nothing! They do not tell you to use a flathead screwdriver to for the test connection. So I assume it does not need done. No mentioning of the vessel. No mentioning of the trap except in the part for cleaning the heat exchanger. So I believe it does not need checked or cleaned? It does not tell you to check the minimum setting although they provide you with a value for it. Does that mean we only look at it once the boiler does not start anymore?

According to the instructions you only have to open the casing, lower the boiler control and measure the fan pressure. Thats it. But you are only allowed to do that with an flue gas analyser and sufficiently trained for FGA.
Unless you cleaned the heat exchanger you do not even need to reassemble it.

Either Worcester assumes you know what to do on a service or someone saved himself a lot of time typing the normal steps of a boiler service for fully trained people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Worc Bosch took 20 minutes for boiler "service". BEWARE - DID THEY SKIP SAFETY CH

I assume for your 200 quid it includes call outs and parts replacement, so the service and safety check is only a part of what your paying for.

pierrot, yes that's rights.

Re: Worc Bosch took 20 minutes for boiler "service". BEWARE - DID THEY SKIP SAFETY CH

As for WB, I got a free service call for my customer who's gstar 42cdi was out of guarantee, I suspected a blockage in the heat ex. WB tech turned up swapped the main heat ex in and out in less than an hour boiler workin fine all checks done. Completely FOC you can't beet that!

OP, I think you have a complaint with regard to lack of customer service but I think this could be a side effect of being a little heavy handed. I find a little tact and diplomacy can go a long way. Oh, and I don't see how you being a plant engineer has anything to do with the issue.

Totally agree with above post
Ps a little knowledge is usually a bad thing as you sound like you are over exaggerating a bit imho
And the services agree maybe just that not an engineer is may not really have a clue

Quick update.

WB have contacted me, explained what want wrong at their end regarding the missed visit, and apologised.

Later they contacted me again and arranged a new visit date.

Its looking good.

Quick update.

WB have contacted me, explained what want wrong at their end regarding the missed visit, and apologised.

Later they contacted me again and arranged a new visit date.

Its looking good.

A happy ending I hope. These things happen. Hope they sort the issues for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worc Bosch took 20 minutes for boiler "service" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock