Search the forum,

Discuss Wood-burner wet system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boz

Hi, I am in the process of fitting a mini top boiler to my wood-stove. I will have a 28 mm full-bore circuit to the heat-sink radiator so the heat can be dispersed by the means of gravity. The second rad will be fed by 15 mm pipework. I will use a Honeywell zone valve (usually open) and a pump on the return side of the system, leaving the flow pipe uninterrupted to the vent. I will also use a Honeywell pipe stat to energize the pump and valve at 50 C. I am led to believe this is a safe system in the event of a electrical failure.

My concern about this system is: what happens if the pump failed to operate when energized and the zone valve is closed off ?
Is the system connected in such a way that this cannot happen ?

Boz

on a standard solid fuel system the zone valve operates on your primary gravity side to the hot water cylinder to control the hot water temp and when this shuts the heat can circulate around your heat leak radiator/s. If the hot water gets too hot the temp relief valve fitted to the cylinder will open and discharge to a safe location.

post your full system design in the solid fuel section, sounds like it needs a rethink. Do you have a hetas engineer installing the system?

welcome to the forum.

You really need to use a HETAS registered engineer for this type of work. They will be able to design and install it in the correct way.

Hi, this is the boiler that I was planning to use...​
It heats water far faster than the type of boiler that runs vertically up the inside of a stove and replaces the back lining panel. This is because this particular style of boiler takes direct heat from the flames as well as keeping the heat in the full body of the stove.
It is NOT suitable for a stove with a firebox body smaller than the following models (which you can find in our shop) : Trilby, Buckingham, Coachman 8kw, Elite 8kw, Maid, Butler. It will NOT FIT : ACORN 6kw (or any 6kw stove), ASPECT, CROFTER as the fire boxes on these models are too shallow internally to fit the boiler and allow the stove and chimney to draw.
We recommend you only fit this to a new stove. In stoves which have been in use for some time, the metal will be cured and hardened which gives a greater risk of cracking the cast iron when you cut the holes in the body. It can be done, but AT YOUR OWN RISK.
The outlet pipes on the boiler are only 1/2" BSP thread. You will need to up this to 25mm on a pumped system to supply radiators. It can be gravitationally fed to a hot water tank - but we do NOT advise this with radiators. Supply to radiators MUST be pumped and a Honeywell L641 pipe thermostat needs to be fitted within 1 metre of the stove on the hot out and set to 55deg C. A motorised valve should be fitted round your pump. This should be in closed position when power is present and open if power fails to allow water to bypass the pump. At least one of the rads should be fitted with locksheild valves. If gravitational fitting to a hot water tank, make sure the hot pipe goes straight up and that it is at least 28mm diameter. Copper piping should be used for at least the first 3 metres
The small boiler is likely to supply MORE to the wet side of the system than stated when fitted into larger stoves. If the boiler is much smaller than the width of the original baffle plate, you will need to custom modify your baffle to fit WITH the boiler so excess heat is not lost up the chimney. It's very important with rads to fit a header tank and be aware that it may be neccessary to fit extra rads if too much hot water is being produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wood-burner wet system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Is it possible to install a wood burning stove with an air to water heat pump? I was speaking to a few plumbers who have said this is not possible as the air to water system is a pressurized system and the stove needs to be in a vented system.
Replies
Views
Evening all, I’m currently in the process of refurbing my house, and have opted to wet UFH for the whole of the downstairs. The upstairs will be radiators. The flooring I’ve chosen is 14mm thick engineered wood and I just wanted to know the best way to do things. At current, the builder was...
Replies
Views
Hi All...thx for the help in advance. I have recently installed a wood burner with back boiler heating system. Set up with gravity rad and header tank in loft. I have a recirculation pump installed that I have connected to the rad system that I turn on and off manually. I wanted to know how...
Replies
Views
I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I currently have an ideal mexico 2 heat only boiler - It has one DAB pump on the boiler return and a 2 port valve at the flow pipe to allow for heating...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock