Discuss Wishing to start out as self employed, any advice welcome. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty Birch

Gas Engineer
Been basically doing jobs on the side but now want to have a crack at it full time, a few things I need to help on firstly, advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

1. do you know of any government grants to help with start up cost registering gas safe, van, pli etc? I can get some of these with my own funds but extra help would be a massive help.

2. would you recommend starting up self employed or ltd? is there any reasons for this?

im only a young lad and have been 'in the game' for nearly 7 years inc apprentiship so advice from been there and done that's would be of massive help.

There's no money to help Matty! It's your risk I'm afraid . Just stay as a sole trader in the beginning.
get the best tools and van you can afford.

Depends how old you are, but if you're under 25 check out the Princess Trust mate, they do loads for the younger folk who want to build a business...

Advice - if you are in employment on a plumber's wage you had better be damn amazing at running a business. That's the only way you are going to earn more per hour than you do now!

Most plumbers running their own business don't really earn much more than they would if they were employed but they have all the extra stress/hassle that goes with it.

Expect to earn nothing in year 1, sod all in year 2 and perhaps minimum wage in year 3.

Learn a related trade. Qualify as a sparky. You will be hated I know, but you will get so much extra work from being able to do both trades. I really struggled to earn a decent living just doing plumbing work.

After all that though, good luck!

thanks very much for all replies, yes I'm 23 so il definitely look into princes trust, iv looked into multi trades but don't think I could handle going back to college just yet, want to have a crack at the real world first if that makes sense. iv been in full time employment for firms and the money was getting worse and worse, I was finding most money was by going through the agencies but there very unrealiable at keeping you in work, iv worked for quite a few tossers in my short time and really want to make this work by myself now.

worked for a lot of not so nice employers, at the minute I'm in and out of agencies which im sure you'd agree is no good, I'm not after making millions I just want a reasonable steady income, even if that's averaging £300 pound a week, at least then I know what I can and can't afford lol not too sure I'm ready to go back into college yet if like to have a crack at the real world first and see how I get on, would you have any tips on marketing, should I be signing up to websites to generate work, ratedpeople for instance or would it be more worthwhile an advert in a local paper do you think? thanks for your response

I'm also just starting out, but with a lot less plumbing experience than you and unfortunately a lot more grey hair lol but from the advice I was given, word of mouth won over any other form of advertising - I'm about to start leaflet dropping in my local areas - get some business cards - apparently Yell.com aren't bad and can generate a fair bit of trade. The checkatrade type websites all seem to charge money for not much return - but I've never used them so don't quote me on that.

Matty, out of curiosity what agencies are you signed up with and what qualifications / paperwork do you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wishing to start out as self employed, any advice welcome. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock