Search the forum,

Discuss Williams & Co 2017 boiler survey results in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray Stafford

Installer’s voice – the national domestic gas boiler survey 2017

What have nearly 600 engineers got to say about the boilers they work on every day?

Whenever 2 engineers get together down the pub for a pint, or indeed log onto an online forum, they will invariably discuss the various merits of the boilers they work on. Some will be extremely loyal to one brand – others will fit whatever the consumer wants, or what’s on offer at their local merchant. This is often cause for a wonderfully heated debate, although there is rarely any resolution. Having heard these ‘discussions’ at the trade counter and been guilty of getting out the popcorn when ‘it’s going off on Facebook’, we decided to try and find the definitive answer to the question – “What’s the best domestic gas boiler available on the UK market?”.

Williams & Co launched this comprehensive survey in September 2016. There were some initial qualifying questions (how many boilers do you fit, how much influence do you have and so on). The survey was in 5 sections, with questions about the manufacturers support and service, including technical helplines. There are then in-depth questions about combis, regular and system boilers. In these sections, respondents were asked their opinions about ease of installation, build quality, how easy the boiler was to service and some further questions about spares. The engineers had to have worked on the boiler over the last 12 months. A final question asked what they would say to the MD of a manufacturer if they had his ear.

The real value of the survey however, is when we asked the installer which boiler manufacturer they would recommend for 3 different budgets (small, medium and money no object), and for combi, regular and system boilers. These are the findings, with nearly 600 verified Gas Safe Registered engineers giving freely of their expertise and insights from working on them.

Full results now available here

Courtesy of my colleague Paul Jepson, who has been working on this for months.

I had no idea Intergas was so popular. The new model has a diverter valve, that for me was one of the only selling points. So why's it so popular?

I've only fitted one, but will certainly fit another. The heat exchanger looks like it belongs in a tank, proper old fashioned substantial one with decent sized water pathways inside.

It also comes with a Honeywell programmable room thermostat and the RF receiver is actually inside the boiler so saves a couple of hours of wiring work once you've plumbed and filled up the boiler.

I really like the design and would fit them again. Will most likely do soon now that Ideal are insisting you fit their magnetic filter for a 10 year warranty on the Vogues. Don't like anti-competitive policies like that so am going to stop fitting them.

I always fit filters where possible, it saves on the manufacturers get out, " it needs flushing"
The hex might be massive, but not having a diverter valve brings its own issues, hard water can clog the hex with limes scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Williams & Co 2017 boiler survey results in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock