Discuss Will changing an old boiler in the garage speed up hot water getting to the taps? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommyg01

Hi All,

I moved into a new home last July and thought the old Potterton boiler was broke, because hot water could take minutes (often several), to reach the taps in the house. The pipework goes up into the loft and then back down into the main house. If I change the old boiler for a top of the range new boiler, will this increase the speed the hot water reaches the taps? If yes, what power/make of boiler would I need?

TIA

Tom

If you replace the current boiler with a more powerful one of the same type, then the answer is NO. The boiler indirectly heats the water in your hot water cylinder, from where it flows to the hot water outlets by gravity. Changing the boiler won't change the length of that hot water circuit.

If its really an issue, rather than a nuisance which you could get used to, I'd suggest explaining the problem to a heating engineer and ask for a quotation for solutions. Could be as (relatively) simple as installing a pump and loop of pipe to keep the water flowing to the taps hot. Could be as complicated as a new boiler, central heating and hot water system.

Hi All,

I moved into a new home last July and thought the old Potterton boiler was broke, because hot water could take minutes (often several), to reach the taps in the house. The pipework goes up into the loft and then back down into the main house. If I change the old boiler for a top of the range new boiler, will this increase the speed the hot water reaches the taps? If yes, what power/make of boiler would I need?

TIA

Tom

What type of boiler is the old potterton, if its heat only (conventional) Then changing it for a new heat only boiler will make no difference in how long it takes for HW to come through.

Although it should not take several minutes to come through though.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping a new boiler would have done the job. The loop idea sounds interesting. I could cope with the delay , but the wife can't. Our previous flat had the boiler in a cupboard inches away from the kitchen sink, so she was spoilt.

Tom

What type of boiler is the old potterton, if its heat only (conventional) Then changing it for a new heat only boiler will make no difference in how long it takes for HW to come through.

Although it should not take several minutes to come through though.

It's a combi, if that's what you mean?

Tom

It's a combi, if that's what you mean?

Tom

I was referring to heat only boilers where you would have a separate hot water cylinder. If its a combi you wont be able to install a secondary return (HW loop). A new bigger combi could give you a better DWH flow rate meaning it would take a shorter time for the hot water to come through.

Also, im going to guess the DHW pipe that goes up to the loft and back down for your HW services is 22mm, changing this pipe for a new smaller 15mm pipe would again mean it takes less time for the HW to arrive at the tap whilst having no adverse effects on flow rates.

Last edited:
Thats the disadvantage of having a combi in a garage, the best place for them regarding hot water is in the old cylinder cupboard. Shorter pipe runs thats why the cylinders usually in the middle of the house or close to draw offs..

Yes the pipework going into the loft is thin copper (I assume 15mm) and it joins onto much thicker white plastic piping (I thinks it's push and fit?). I could only replace half the pipework though, as some of it runs under the floor of the loft conversion, before dropping back down into the kitchen. At least it sounds like a better boiler would help.

Thanks

Tom

Thats the disadvantage of having a combi in a garage, the best place for them regarding hot water is in the old cylinder cupboard. Shorter pipe runs thats why the cylinders usually in the middle of the house or close to draw offs..

Tell me about it!!!!! That's where it used to be before the previous owners (would you believe they were heating engineers) moved it to the garage.

Tom

Nice one, loft needs to be boarded, with a light & a gas control in the cupboard below, timer & a fill up point handy so you don't have to keep going up there & jobs a good un....

does sound like to much of a hot water pipe run,so if you can not shorten,reposition boiler in roof and shorten that way...fit controls and any filling points in an accessible point out of the roof space though

Actually Clarky and Drip Dry, it's even easier than that. I live in a chalet bungalow, so access to the loft space is through a full size door from the loft conversion into the eaves. The loft is already boarded with lighting, with room to stand up, so it should be fairly straight forward. Many thanks guys.

Tom

Actually Clarky and Drip Dry, it's even easier than that. I live in a chalet bungalow, so access to the loft space is through a full size door from the loft conversion into the eaves. The loft is already boarded with lighting, with room to stand up, so it should be fairly straight forward. Many thanks guys.

Tom
sounds like ya got it sussed Tom....go for it... :)

:sorcerer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Will changing an old boiler in the garage speed up hot water getting to the taps? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock