Search the forum,

Discuss Who's on checkatrade? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

leek

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Sorry been age since since last posted but wanted to try and canvas some opinion re checkatrade.

Been a member for a few years, built up good reviews and it's ok, great for filling in gaps when big jobs get moved for one reason or another.

Today received a glossy brochure in the post with list of promised improvements, which I have a sneaking suspicion is really going to cost me dear next year a total renewal.

Have emailed them to try and clarify how much fees will increase but it galling when it's just glorified advertising really, no matter how they try and dress it up. I do also think that the feedback I have generated should be mine, and if we could transfer between review sites then perhaps they would be more competitive.

So thoughts on checkatrade or any of the others, don't hear much about which now but often hear the jingle for trustatrader on the radio.

Thanks,

Lee.

This is the reply I got from my adviser, paid ÂŁ1000 this year I think, many seem to be charged ÂŁ1500 at renewal. Not sure it clarifies things at all!

With regards to membership fees, you will have noticed that in the past, our fees have increased every year and that all our members where on the same price tariff (depending on additional marketing which is optional). This year we have restructured the pricing of our product. The cost of the membership will now vary depending on trade location, trade sector, online exposure and value of work Checkatrade brings in.

For example, a builder who is based in Surrey and the account is performing well in terms of regular customer reviews, may pay more for the membership than a builder in Hampshire. A plumber in Surrey may pay less than a plumber in London or West Sussex. My point with this is that we have taken on board how our members value the product and what they get from the membership. Not all accounts perform the same, certain areas of the UK have more online hits than other parts of the Country. So in essence each account will pay according to what the membership is doing for them.

So In short if your doing well on ct you get charged more

That seems to be it, but it's not as if it was cheap in the first place and it is essentially advertising. I need to work out how much I'm making on it, the only time I find it really useful is when big jobs get moved about for various reasons and I end up with a free week. That is def not worth ÂŁ1500 to me.

I am on checkatrade and although i have had no issues in the past i have noticed over the last couple months it has started changing for the worst.

Had a letter last week saying that all my details will be removed and they will use their own numbers and details so they can monitor my performance.

Not happy as its basically an advertising platform so i called them.

Said i had never signed into this originally and they say that under their T & C's they can do what they want. So i said its basically a money making exercise for them to eventually charge more. According to them its not however she then stumbled in how servo warm have spent so much money they need to recoup . So yes we are now going to be ripped off by a so called company that is trying to eliminate cowboy builders yet they behave like one.

I have slowly started to look elsewhere for advertising platforms as i think checkatrade is slowly becoming a rip off site for trades.

On another note i don't like how they focus so much on the customer now . It encourages them to behave like idiots and you literally have to skip through hoops to please them so i recommend not signing into this in future .

It's a bummer as much as anything, I have found them pretty good in the past but am just fed up. The Mrs set up a discussion group on Facebook with a few other members it's here if you want to share your opinion with other members Se connecter Ă  Facebook | Facebook

I think it's frustrating that they seem to be able to do what they like, these new managed contacts mean customers won't even be able to text us a single technology won't allow it, hardly progress.

I am on checkatrade and although i have had no issues in the past i have noticed over the last couple months it has started changing for the worst.

Had a letter last week saying that all my details will be removed and they will use their own numbers and details so they can monitor my performance.

Not happy as its basically an advertising platform so i called them.

Said i had never signed into this originally and they say that under their T & C's they can do what they want. So i said its basically a money making exercise for them to eventually charge more. According to them its not however she then stumbled in how servo warm have spent so much money they need to recoup . So yes we are now going to be ripped off by a so called company that is trying to eliminate cowboy builders yet they behave like one.

I have slowly started to look elsewhere for advertising platforms as i think checkatrade is slowly becoming a rip off site for trades.

On another note i don't like how they focus so much on the customer now . It encourages them to behave like idiots and you literally have to skip through hoops to please them so i recommend not signing into this in future .

They are all rubbish. They are just another unskilled company with a website that want a slice of your cake. Why can't we set something up as a Co operative and run it not for profit of the website but for our own good?

Reply to Who's on checkatrade? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Hi all, New member here signing up to pick the brains of wiser individuals! (no use trying to mask my intentions). I'm currently visiting my Grandfather in France and noticed his upstairs rads aren't generating much heat... I've been going to bed fully dressed since my arrival! >_< Done the...
Replies
Views
L
So a couple of months back my heating system pumped packed up. Called a plumber out to fix it and he swapped it over and advised he would change the zone valve while doing the job as this was also quite old and might fail at some point down the road. He also replace the manual air bleed for an...
Replies
Views
leeroy_25
L
This debate rages on in my head on a daily basis, so here is my point of view just want to see what others think, company i used to work for before setting up my own company swore by vaillant, i fitted loads and loads of turbo max combi's and think they are brilliant boilers, good to work on...
Replies
Views
I
Hi everybody, Ive probably read hundreds of posts on this site since i registered and there is definitely a lot of useful info, although ive read a lot in respect of people not willing to take on tech cert qualified wannabe plumbers, which i find rather short sighted as people should be judged...
Replies
Views
innertemple
I
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock