Discuss whos legaly aloud to do what. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kingman

hey there im half way through my nvq3 and my boss is starting to ask me to fit boilers for him while hes not there but at the moment im refusing to do so because im unsure of what i can do and cant do with out his supervision any answears will be great.

i was told by a corgi inspector (when it was corgi) that even the water connections on a boiler (once boiler was hung on wall)
if tightened or worked upon is still classed as GAS work

i would suggest that you should be supervised at all times when doing Gas related works

As above. You shouldn't be touching this type of work with the gas safe engineer with you. Carry on refusing.

i supose the level of superrvision has to decrease as the pupil becomes competent to the point where if you doing repetive work only a final check is needed when ive had trainies with me once they can hang a rad they can be left to carry on obviously gas is diferent but id assume the trainer will be doing the comisioning as he has to sign for it or at least overseeing the comissioning

As far as I am aware you only have to be GSR if you work on the gas train, you can pipe out and couple up okay. If you think about it usually the GSR person is then going to test it out when they commission the boiler after they have connected the gas.

Runing heating & water pipes is ok, but the connections & fitting of the boiler/flue & running of the gas pipes must be done by a GSR engineer whom then commisions the boiler.

I would have thought as long as the installation is checked, tested and commissioned by a competent person after you have worked on it, you should be ok. I personally would phone Gas Safe and ask them to send you an email and if they say its a no-no, then you've summat to show the gaffer. As you can see from the posts, we all have slightly different opinions so always best to check and get written comfirmation. Arse covering is the name of the game nowadays.

Its BG's fault, once upon a time a gas fitter would not go anywhere near any pipe with water in. But BG started to want to make a load of cash out of installing central heating, so their fitters where obliged to start fitting central heating wet side. Some of our lads often went over to help the fitters out on a mates basis rather than they get the sack for not knowing how to do central heating.

Last edited by a moderator:
well your boss must have some confidence in you which is a good thing - but your not allowed to do a boiler on your own simple as that... but common sense has to be used here - if he's nipping to the merchants or nipping to service a boiler and asks you to carry on for an hour or so with something your completely comfortable doing then as long as he checks what you've done when he comes back then i don't see a problem....Not something i would do - i do all boilers myself the appo just gets to watch for time being....

The last thing you should do is phone gas safe and tell them your boss is asking to leave you on your own......

you'll be down the job centre tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to whos legaly aloud to do what. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back