Search the forum,

Discuss When is a good deed not a good deed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a call from an elderly neighbour that she could not turn off her gas oven. I went round to see if I could help but could not turn the knob below the minimum setting. The control seemed to work in that a higher setting increased flame height and a lower setting reduced it, but I could not get it past the stop to turn it off. No amount of pushing knob in/ out made any difference - it felt like a hard stop. I didn't want to force it. She was understandably a bit distressed at the amount of gas being used! I phoned my usual GSR, but he was away, so couldn't come. In the end, I isolated the supply and have got another local GSR coming round tomorrow. I let the thing cool down but no difference to the control. I felt a bit bad because it's a gas cooker - all gas, no electric to cook on. She said it was ok, but there was nothing else I could do. I haven't missed something glaringly obvious have I? I have never known a gas control to fail like that before. Anyway, it will get the correct, professional attention soon!

I recently moved back in to a house that I used to rent out and the cooker oven knob is stupidly stiff, once the oven's been on a while it frees up to how it used to be - even an hour or so after turning it off. So heat and time are definitely playing a part in it.
Maybe the issue is similar, if she's local enough and you're concerned, it might be worth nipping round and trying it now it's been a good while and maybe needed to cool more?

Thnik we can all agree if the cooker controls are sticking and not turning off correctly,it should not be used until inspected ,even if it operated ok now cooled down,it could stick any time and place those around in danger
Basically lef appliance be until checked and repaired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to When is a good deed not a good deed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good morning all, just a quick one here and i was wondering if someone could give a little advice on their own experience. I don't usually do a lot of installs or a tremendous amount of gas work but obviously when I do undertake these things then I try my best to keep within the appropriate...
Replies
Views
The tub/shower valve was so tight and hard to turn that I could almost not turn it, so I just replaced the Moen cartridge with an OEM Moen cartridge, and it now works smoothly & easily, with the water going from hot to cold, as it should while being rotated clockwise, but as it approaches the...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know also not to bumble around blindly beyond that. We moved house last week and with the glorious hot weather we weren't bothered about the heating, more...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few threads on a few different forums but I wanted to share a full write-up with all the steps needed, benefits and costs. Overall, I fully recommend...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock