Search the forum,

Discuss What would you guys price it for? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Account

hi lads,

Of course I am not gas qualified just yet but I am working alongside a qualified engineer.

I have got quite a few customers which would like to change the an vented system.

Current system vented system:

- 20 years old heat only boiler - located in hallway cupboard
- old cold water tank - opposite the boiler in another cupboard.
- gas pipe located in hallway reduced 15mm
New install:

Cheap boiler for around £700-£800 vokera
Location kitchen wall / plasterboard
Needs a plume kit

Gas needs supplied to kitchen ( digged into the floor and then fixed to kitchen wall )
Gas needs upgrading because gas hob will be first T off and I believe it won't be suffienct enough afterwards so we will upgrade it to 22mm to the boiler.

Kitchen units need to come out and put back.
New pipework installation
Filter and scale reducer
Power flush

i just would like to know a guide line for such a conversion in terms of labour money .

One last question to you guys:

I always get the customers which want to change boilers or systems and now I have found another guy who seems pretty alright.

But one thing disturbs me: yesterday my customer asked me to check the old boiler once more as a previous installer capped the gas off based on carbon monoxide. However I have given the job to my mate to double check for her. He went out and checked the boiler and yes it needs replacing no question.

Now, he took her details and email address instead of dealing with me and giving me the quote for the boiler job. Am I wrong with thinking it shouldn't be like this? I basically would not think of stuff like this taking someone's customer and forward the quote though ...

I called him afterwards and said please forward the quote to me so I can send it off to her and went like : I have got the details I'll send it.

Wtf / it's my customer and I need to earn money on it as well or am I wrong?

He also offered to work with him together but then again 50/50 isn't true ?

You two need to come to an agreement, that or carry on for now then ditch him when you are gsr.

its a poke but anywhere from £2.8k to £6k

as for cheap boilers baxi or vokera

every job is different and requires a different set of kit

and as your not doing the job ie gas safe reg dont see why it has to go through you when your not gas safe

let him quote and send it off if he gets the job either you help him eg days pay or you (agreed before hand) take a commission / a favour for later in return

I agree what you are saying.
But it's definitely rude and unprofessional to take someone's client. He should deal with me. Obviously I will give him the job as I am not allowed to do it on my own. I will mention it to him so he will not do it in the future.

• Agree
Reactions: rpm
its a poke but anywhere from £2.8k to £6k

as for cheap boilers baxi or vokera

every job is different and requires a different set of kit

and as your not doing the job ie gas safe reg dont see why it has to go through you when your not gas safe

let him quote and send it off if he gets the job either you help him eg days pay or you (agreed before hand) take a commission / a favour for later in return
I understand and appreciate what you are saying.
I was just wondering even though I am not registered it's still my customer and out of respect to me he should have dealt with me.

I think it's fair and shows some sort of respect. But yeah, I will do the job with him together and afterwards if he doesn't change that way I will need to go my own way agin.

2.8k with or without materials ?
Just would like to know for future reference.

I was thinking 2.2-2.5k labour

But thanks for getting back to me much appreciated, thumbs up

I understand and appreciate what you are saying.
I was just wondering even though I am not registered it's still my customer and out of respect to me he should have dealt with me.

I think it's fair and shows some sort of respect. But yeah, I will do the job with him together and afterwards if he doesn't change that way I will need to go my own way agin.

2.8k is it with materials or without?

I was thinking a £2.200 -2.500 labour or am I wrong? It's just to know for future reference

But thanks for getting back to me much appreciated, thumbs up

as your not gas safe reg its against the law to advertise/quote you do gas work

If I was the first contact with the customer then I would expect the gsr guy to pass the quote to me then I quote the customer, how you divide the profit is between you two guys.

If I was the first contact with the customer then I would expect the gsr guy to pass the quote to me then I quote the customer, how you divide the profit is between you two guys.
I was the first she one of my customers. I just told her you could meet my mate as he is gsr and he will give you a the right answer for your questions as I am not allowed to undertake any gas works.

But I see everybody has a different point of view. Me personally, I think it would have been nice and fair to come back to me first to let me know he going to give her a quote or something along the lines.
However, I will carry on and next time I'll make it more clear.

as your not gas safe reg its against the law to advertise/quote you do gas work
Where does it stay ?
I believe, as long as I do not touch gas I can do whatever I want as I am not doing anything physically against the law. I am sure I can inspect sites give quotes as long as I am not touching it. There is no physical abuse on gas works.

Where does it stay ?
I believe, as long as I do not touch gas I can do whatever I want as I am not doing anything physically against the law. I am sure I can inspect sites give quotes as long as I am not touching it. There is no physical abuse on gas works.

but as you submit a quote your advertising your gas safe which you arnt

"The registered business trading name must be and remain the name registered
with Gas Safe Register. Where it is identified that a registered business is
advertising with the Gas Safe Register brand and a trading name different to
that entered on the register, the Brand Enforcement Policy will be followed."

but as you submit a quote your advertising your gas safe which you arnt

"The registered business trading name must be and remain the name registered
with Gas Safe Register. Where it is identified that a registered business is
advertising with the Gas Safe Register brand and a trading name different to
that entered on the register, the Brand Enforcement Policy will be followed."

Thanks for that, but I think I will give them a call on Monday to find out more. However, I do not see anything wrong with that to send a quote off to my customer. As long as I am working alongside a gas safe reg person it's fine to me.

Was the 2.8k just labour or did you include the materials ?
I was thinking between 2.2-2,5 just labour or am I wrong

with materials 2.8k easy job all the way to 6k for a pita job

with materials 2.8k easy job all the way to 6k for a pita job

Thanks Shaun.

I mean digging up the hallway floor ( concrete ) bringing the inside the kitchen
Making good afterwards
Removing all kitchen units for the gas run
Installing units back in place
Removing boiler and tank
Capping pipes off.
Re run new pipes for central heating hot and cold water
Run condensation pipe
Prv pipe

Plasterboard needs to supported to hang the boiler.
Power flush the system

So I believe a minimum of 3k with materials

Re advertising for work when you are not GSR, there's nothing illegal about this. It's DOING the work when you aren't that is illegal.

Checkatrade allow non GSR members to advertise gas works but they must indicate that they are sub-contracting it out to a RGI on the site.

As Matchless has done this there's nowt illegal in what he's doing tbh.

I think the bits referred to are Gas Safe's rules for members which don't apply to Matchless as he's not registered with them.

Certainly I did this when building up my business so I was being illegal too if it is!!

Is there a different firm than gas safe or do they have monopoly?

How come then builders are ge

Just capita (own the gas safe rights for now)

Re advertising for work when you are not GSR, there's nothing illegal about this. It's DOING the work when you aren't that is illegal.

Checkatrade allow non GSR members to advertise gas works but they must indicate that they are sub-contracting it out to a RGI on the site.

As Matchless has done this there's nowt illegal in what he's doing tbh.

I think the bits referred to are Gas Safe's rules for members which don't apply to Matchless as he's not registered with them.

Certainly I did this when building up my business so I was being illegal too if it is!!

Finally someone understands it and I bet there is nothing illegal about me advertising the job. I am not abusing physically the law. I am just helping my customers to solve their issues. I am not touching the pipes unless I have an certified engineer right next to me.

Gas Safe have the monopoly at the moment. HSE review the contract every 5 years which is why it changed over from Corgi a while back.

Health and Safety Executive.

My first winner award. Thanks mate :)

I would be annoyed that he went straight to my customer and not to me. I think if you are passing him the work and you were his contact for the work then he and the customer should be talking to you.

I would be annoyed that he went straight to my customer and not to me. I think if you are passing him the work and you were his contact for the work then he and the customer should be talking to you.

So you would add your fee ontop of his, and then cus pays you then you pay him

Also what happens if somthing goes wrong and you can't get hold of him, be down to you to fix it

So you would add your fee ontop of his, and then cus pays you then you pay him

Also what happens if somthing goes wrong and you can't get hold of him, be down to you to fix it

It would be more of a joint effort on the quote to allow us both to do the job. Yes I would happily take responsibility for the job in that situation. Its how he can start to grow his business. That's how I would be looking at it anyway. Out of respect I would always go back to my initial point of contact unless they tell me otherwise.

you cant take responsibility for any job involving gas, the name on the paperwork is the other guys and it is his bum on the line for any issues, no matter what you believe. As far as nicking your customers goes, you lost this one and he gained one, part of business,but ultimately he won't get any more from you. if you approach the customer and point out it is your job and you are both doing the work, do you believe the customer will see your side at having to pay for 2 when they have one person happy to do the work. As far as your pricing goes, far to low imho, if you are hacking out floors and removing units it takes time, your idea of 22mm gas runs may well be totally out and need 28mm, so you need to price up to ensure you can afford to do ther job in the first place

It would be more of a joint effort on the quote to allow us both to do the job. Yes I would happily take responsibility for the job in that situation. Its how he can start to grow his business. That's how I would be looking at it anyway. Out of respect I would always go back to my initial point of contact unless they tell me otherwise.

I totally agree ... it should work in a different way. When I give him the opportunity to gain more work through me, he should be dealing with me. It's a matter of respect and professionality to come back to me and not giving the quotes further to the customer. And yes, if he takes the job on he has to take responsibility as any other engineer.

you cant take responsibility for any job involving gas, the name on the paperwork is the other guys and it is his bum on the line for any issues, no matter what you believe. As far as nicking your customers goes, you lost this one and he gained one, part of business,but ultimately he won't get any more from you. if you approach the customer and point out it is your job and you are both doing the work, do you believe the customer will see your side at having to pay for 2 when they have one person happy to do the work. As far as your pricing goes, far to low imho, if you are hacking out floors and removing units it takes time, your idea of 22mm gas runs may well be totally out and need 28mm, so you need to price up to ensure you can afford to do ther job in the first place

Of course you can, obviously any safety issues arising from a bad install will be down to the guy who registers it but for the customer you would be the guy in charge. I work for builders who get me in to do jobs, they are my point of contact. The take responsibility for the whole job in the customers eyes and are the first point of contact for them even if the boiler/system are playing up. They then call me and I go. I wouldn't dream of breaking that trust and relationship and going direct to the customer. Its rude and disrespectful. They make money on my work, do I care? No. I have given them a price I am happy with for the job.

That's the point I was on about.
It doesn't not matter what I earn as long as he gets paid he should not care.
It's definitely a break in trust. It's weird though out of 10 people I had everybody took an advantage and tried doing things like that. It's really hard to find someone honest. Does this word " honesty " exist nowadays ?
I'd be great full if someone gives me jobs without turning my quotes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What would you guys price it for? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock