Search the forum,

Discuss What type of boarding for a Cold Water Storage Cistern? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wild nomad

Hi there,

I am going to construct a support platform for a 50 Gallon cold water storage system. I have a good strong support base consisting of a lattice of treated joist timbers. I was wondering on what sort of boarding to use for the cistern to sit on. I was told that a good boarding to put over this would be 21mm P5 Moisture resistant T&G chipboard.

I was just wanting to hear a few suggestions from other people before I go through with it. Anyone have any ideas/agreements/disagreements with the Tongue and groove moisture resistant chipboard theme?

Thanks in advance :)

Marine plys great but a bit dear and can be hard to get hold of , any ply over about 20 ish mm would do .
defo not sterling board, i saw one last week in a loft and pre warned the customer

never use chipboard as it falls apart when wet, marine ply is expensive as it works, and meets regs reqs

Last edited by a moderator:
Its all green chipboard in new builds. Ive seen lots of it bloat with water even though its treated. I would never use it.

50 gal is over 200kg - I would beef up on the joists by running 4x2across as many joists as possible and floorboard over that

Remember to apply a few coats of varnish to the board, including ends...waterproofed.
Much like you'd do prior to fitting a sink into a wooden worktop.

As said above. 18mm marine ply. At an absolute pinch WBP, but regs require marine ply for unvented so I just use that for cold tanks as well. Make sure it extends at least 150mm bigger than the tank in all directions.

As said above. 18mm marine ply. At an absolute pinch WBP, but regs require marine ply for unvented so I just use that for cold tanks as well. Make sure it extends at least 150mm bigger than the tank in all directions.

Thanks for the advice. Would you treat the ply with varnish or some sort of wood preserve or is it already treated sufficiently?

If you did use any type of chipboard, you could always fit a sheet of heavy polythene (damp proof membrane) over the chipboard.
Plywood is strong but still requires well supported.
One problem particularily with plywood is woodbeatle absolutely love it & can chew holes right through the plastic tank base & the tank will leak. :smile: I have seen this happening.
Timber would need treated, especially in older houses

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What type of boarding for a Cold Water Storage Cistern? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock