Currently reading:
What sounds like air but isn't?

Discuss What sounds like air but isn't? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patrocks

My central heating is making strange noises (and it isn’t turned on) and I’m hoping someone out there can help me work out what is going on.

Every night at about the same time as I lie in bed I hear what sounds like air bouncing through my pipes and into my radiator upstairs, however the system isn’t losing pressure and my radiators don’t appear full of air when I bleed them.

Every night the last thing I do is run the dishwasher and it is plumbed to pull off the domestic hot water so the boiler (a Worcester 240RSF) is working making domestic hot water for a chunk of time. Also about this time a pipe on a radiator upstairs gets hot. Not the whole radiator just one pipe. It is at this time the pipes make the noise. I would also say that I think the noise coincides with a pump running but I can't swear on this, it could be domestic water being drawn that I hear.

I'm no plumber and have used google and have read about valves chattering but it doesn’t sound like a valve, it sounds like it is moving through the system for sure but the system is not losing pressure.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It is a sealed system, combi boiler. Prior to this noise starting I fitted a new expansion vessel to the system after the one in the boiler failed (split diaphragm). The failed vessel is still in the boiler and connected to the system as it is behind gas parts so couldn’t take it out.

Any help much appreciated.

Pat.

if your heating pipes are getting warm when your boiler is making hw your 3way valve is letting by. are you topping up the pressure when bleeding your system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What sounds like air but isn't? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock