Search the forum,

Discuss What size is this rad/valve connection? picture included in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...are we any closer to getting a definitive size for this union. I'm leaning to it being 3/4 bsp. The trv is deffo 1/2 and the union is deffo bigger than 1/2 as I've tried a 1/2 nut against it and it's way smaller. I can't see it being metric size, what with the trv being imperial. Anyone agreeing with me on this??

That's what I am thinking. Try a washing machine hose on the valve to see it same threads.
One way to seal the valve is to screw the tail out of the radiator and seal the 1/2" end with blanking plug and then tighten it onto the valve. Have to redo the 1/2" joint with ptfe for into rad later though

So...are we any closer to getting a definitive size for this union. I'm leaning to it being 3/4 bsp. The trv is deffo 1/2 and the union is deffo bigger than 1/2 as I've tried a 1/2 nut against it and it's way smaller. I can't see it being metric size, what with the trv being imperial. Anyone agreeing with me on this??

It's not 3/4".
If you are taking the rad off for decor, do what I said with the 5p

It's not 3/4".
If you are taking the rad off for decor, do what I said with the 5p
I get what you're saying with the 5p and tap washer but the nut does not slide of the rad tail, I know this because I had the rad off to remove the wallpaper. This was only a few minutes so no need to blank the valve, I have plasterer coming Monday so will need this rad of for a good few days so want to blank off so can run the CH

That's what I am thinking. Try a washing machine hose on the valve to see it same threads.
One way to seal the valve is to screw the tail out of the radiator and seal the 1/2" end with blanking plug and then tighten it onto the valve. Have to redo the 1/2" joint with ptfe for into rad later though

I have been thinking !!!!
Do you mean the type that was a proper union with a half inch tail but 3/4" nut?
I think you may well be right, I had forgotten those.

I get what you're saying with the 5p and tap washer but the nut does not slide of the rad tail, I know this because I had the rad off to remove the wallpaper. This was only a few minutes so no need to blank the valve, I have plasterer coming Monday so will need this rad of for a good few days so want to blank off so can run the CH

I think Best may be right with this. There was a 3/4" nut on a half inch tail but it must be 30 years ago.
If it is that then the photo is very deceptive indeed.

You will need a 3/4" blank or washing machine blank from somewhere like wicks.
Failing that, you would need to get the tail out and take the nut off the narrow end and use a piece of lead or a 10p and 3/4" washer.

Whatever you do you need to avoid damaging the face.

I'm starting to think new rad valve would be easier.

I think Best may be right with this. There was a 3/4" nut on a half inch tail but it must be 30 years ago.
If it is that then the photo is very deceptive indeed.

You will need a 3/4" blank or washing machine blank from somewhere like wicks.
Failing that, you would need to get the tail out and take the nut off the narrow end and use a piece of lead or a 10p and 3/4" washer.

Whatever you do you need to avoid damaging the face.

I'm starting to think new rad valve would be easier.
Apologies if the pic was a deceptive. This system was here when we moved in, 30yrs ago so may well be the type you're thinking of. I'm going with 3/4 I really can't see it being anything else. New valve might well be where I end up, but at the moment I just need to get this valve blanked of.

I have been thinking !!!!
Do you mean the type that was a proper union with a half inch tail but 3/4" nut?
I think you may well be right, I had forgotten those.

Yes, the union with 3/4" nut.
The OP should just get 3/4" blanking plugs as you said, or do what I suggested.

Apologies if the pic was a deceptive. This system was here when we moved in, 30yrs ago so may well be the type you're thinking of. I'm going with 3/4 I really can't see it being anything else. New valve might well be where I end up, but at the moment I just need to get this valve blanked of.

3/4" blanking plugs probably will do your job.
Try B&Q or Screwfix.
If you are going to replace the valves shortly, then just get those tails screwed out of radiator and have them blanked off with your 1/2" blanking plugs

3/4" blanking plugs probably will do your job.
Try B&Q or Screwfix.
If you are going to replace the valves shortly, then just get those tails screwed out of radiator and have them blanked off with your 1/2" blanking plugs
Thanks Best, I'm going with 3/4, picking some from my local plumbers merchant tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What size is this rad/valve connection? picture included in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock