Search the forum,

Discuss What should it cost? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Muddymike

Hello guys, and gals of course. I have been recommended this forum for impartial heating advise so here goes with a first post.

My son has just bought a 3 bed terraced house with an ancient gas back boiler. The rads and pipework are much younger and look to be in good shape. He has been quoted £3200 to replace the boiler with a new Worcester 30 CDI and fit 8 TRVs, and power flush the system with my son lifting and replacing all floorboards as required. All the pipework comes together in an airing cupboard that is no more than 8ft from the site for the new boiler.
The good news is that the guy that quoted can start the job next week!! Or is that good news? The bad news is that no one else who he telephoned bothered turning up to quote.

Now I know a site visit is needed for an accurate quote, but we have no idea if this is acceptable or if he is being ripped off.

Any advise appreciated.

Mike

hi where abouts in uk are you?
is the boiler Worcester 30 CDI a combi or connecting to old hot water cylinder?
is the gas meter far from new boiler? ie new gas run?
does the new boiler flue need to go through wall horizontal or up through roof?
was it a printed quote or verbal?
bit more info will help

Last edited by a moderator:
hi where abouts in uk are you?
is the boiler Worcester 30 CDI a combi or connecting to old hot water cylinder?
is the gas meter far from new boiler? ie new gas run?
does the new boiler flue need to go through wall horizontal or up through roof?
was it a printed quote or verbal?
bit more info will help
Thanks Heatman, all good points.
We are in North Yorkshire (Richmondshire)
Its a Combi, and the quote includes removing the old combination hot water cylinder.
We have yet to establish if a new gas run is required, and that would be extra.
Flue will go straight back through a cavity wall.
Only quoted verbaly at this stage.

Mike

ok. i can tell you right now, unless its an bum of a job, thats too much.
i got all that with a w/b combi, new gas, trv's, old removed etc and i didnt do a fart towards it, from the warm front grant (and i concider the scheme a rip of).
the total cost for that was £2550 all in, 2 fitters a day and half plus sparky 2 hours.

If the quote was over the telephone, i would certainly think it was dodgy or as above, too expensive.

You also need to ask yourself why he can start so soon.

You should realistically have to wait a couple of weeks to get the job done.

Although in this current climate, he may be genuinely quiet and not have much work on.

If the quote was over the telephone, i would certainly think it was dodgy or as above, too expensive.

You also need to ask yourself why he can start so soon.

You should realistically have to wait a couple of weeks to get the job done.

Although in this current climate, he may be genuinely quiet and not have much work on.

No it wasn't on the telephone, he did come out and inspect the system, The only thing he was unsure about was whether the gas supply to the kitchen is big enough. We won't know that until we remove a kitchen worktop.

Mike

We have now removed the worktop and can see the gas supply into the kitchen is 21mm. Is this big enough to supply both cooker and boiler?

Mike

it should be big enough deepending on length of pipe run and allowing 1/2m for every elbow/tee. On a 30 cdi you get about 15m off 22mm before it needs increaseing. I too think it is a bit much. 30 cdi is a good boiler costs about 1100.00 inc flue and clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What should it cost? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock