Search the forum,

Discuss What sequence of checks you do for breakdowns in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Mario

Gas Engineer
Had a job in evening no access to manufacturers paperwork or technical helpline :angry_smile: just wanted to see what order of things you check on a breakdown

depends on what the boiler is as i work on boilers from 30 40 years old to present day,

Have you got a smart phone ?

1st, check the basics, then go from there!

Always go for simple first and try to avoid most of what the customer says as they can lead you down the wrong path.
I tend to ask for a WiFi code and download anything I need while I'm there. Seems to make customers think you don't know what your doing but without instructions, I try to avoid working on anything too complicated on strange boilers.

Some of the MI's can be invaluable in helping pinpoint issue. Especially on evening calls when helplines not active.
I have a tablet with a few years worth of MI's on it. If I come across a new boiler I download the MI and add it.
Can pick up a tablet that reads PDF's for buttons now. Get one!

First thing I try is both heating and hot water and listen to what the boiler is doing then take it from there. If it fires up on 1 but not the other it will usually rule out a few things.

Start with the completely bleeding obvious. Check that there is 240V getting to the boiler. Check there is gas. Check timer / programmer is calling. Check stat is calling. Stupid but I've had all of these things on callouts.

One where the woman had switched off the fused spur and swore blind nobody had touched it. One where someone thought the sliders on a mechanical clock went inwards for on and outwards for off. Credit run out on prepay meter. Husband turned room stat down. Nowt as dumb as folk as they say... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends if combi or system boiler , but in all cases I listen and look to see wots functioning , also depends if its a lockout fault or similar ,
Because its always electrical apart from all the standard checks trace how far power goes lol,,,,,,,
Most folks have tinternet so download the app GIW ( gas installers workmate ) the have every boiler , fire , cooker instalation books but its 29.99

Always remember use the manufacturers technical helplines as thats wot theyre there for , aslong as your competent in using the multimeter

Start with the completely bleeding obvious. Check that there is 240V getting to the boiler. Check there is gas. Check timer / programmer is calling. Check stat is calling. Stupid but I've had all of these things on callouts.

One where the woman had switched off the fused spur and swore blind nobody had touched it. One where someone thought the sliders on a mechanical clock went inwards for on and outwards for off. Credit run out on prepay meter. Husband turned room stat down. Nowt as dumb as folk as they say... :)

This is the best advice anyone doing breakdowns could get. I always ask the young lads for voltages and Inlet working pressures. Most haven't even checked.

You will come across all these faults at some point.

mention it may need a new fan or pcb and there about ÂŁ300.

get a reaction then start from there you will know if your wasting your time with the customer first :)

I check there is gas and electric, then i open the hot tap or call for heating, then i take it from there, it can eliminate a whole host of stuff if either one works then you can start eliminating from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What sequence of checks you do for breakdowns in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock