Discuss What do you think of my plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I read all you say Firemant, and agree without reservation on all points.
A company I know has a 'museum' of all sorts of boilers going back ages and when the new fellas start they spend a few days taking them apart and re building them until the boss is happy. The oldest I have seen is an ELM le Blanc 4.20 combi . but that is rare We fitted those in early 80's. MOVING ON
Anyway my point is if people are no longer buying cars but leasing them on a 3 year basis why not apply it to boilers it is obvious
a standard template as exists just tug the stuffed one off and change
dead easy. if all the components are recycleable there is no issue

job done in an hour + or so plus the pump out and inhibitor
days work everybody makes good money. happy days
centralheatking. These people pay £1000 for a poxy phone and £4.00 for a tub of coffee every day and whine when we charge the 'normal' going rate. The Mullins ...Charlie and Scott at Pimlico might well have it right ..centralheatking

Thing is, though, and your post pretty much sums it up, a boiler is a practical purchase. No one WANTS to buy a boiler, the need is foisted upon us. When I had a shop, I did the gas work, my guy did the boiler. He did all the grunt work, I just did the good looking bit (apart from out the old Parkray ;) ). At the end of the work the punter oohed and aaaahed over the fireplace (well, it was always a magnificent job ;) ), and said how clever I was. My mate just got paid.

Mullins probably does have it right - aim for the clients that can pay, charge the earth, advertise the prices clearly so that no-one can really complain afterwards. (I do agree with the latter, and always have done the same.)

Anyway, it is odd that we value faffery above practicality. But I cannot bring myself to lease a car, I tend to buy a 1 year old motor and keep it for at least 5. Having said that, I pushed the boat out and paid £170 for a second hand iphone 7 - most I have ever paid. I never willingly go inside Starbucks/Costa and take a jar of Kenco to work - I have access to much hot water. The odd time I buy a TA coffee at work it is £2 from an independent cafe. Not that I am tight ;)

It also appears that those who can least afford it bow to their desires to get into hock for "things". How can anyone possibly justify £1K on a telecommunication device.? But, I forget, they come free with a contract.:rolleyes:

Thing is, though, and your post pretty much sums it up, a boiler is a practical purchase. No one WANTS to buy a boiler, the need is foisted upon us. When I had a shop, I did the gas work, my guy did the boiler. He did all the grunt work, I just did the good looking bit (apart from out the old Parkray ;) ). At the end of the work the punter oohed and aaaahed over the fireplace (well, it was always a magnificent job ;) ), and said how clever I was. My mate just got paid.

Mullins probably does have it right - aim for the clients that can pay, charge the earth, advertise the prices clearly so that no-one can really complain afterwards. (I do agree with the latter, and always have done the same.)

Anyway, it is odd that we value faffery above practicality. But I cannot bring myself to lease a car, I tend to buy a 1 year old motor and keep it for at least 5. Having said that, I pushed the boat out and paid £170 for a second hand iphone 7 - most I have ever paid. I never willingly go inside Starbucks/Costa and take a jar of Kenco to work - I have access to much hot water. The odd time I buy a TA coffee at work it is £2 from an independent cafe. Not that I am tight ;)

It also appears that those who can least afford it bow to their desires to get into hock for "things". How can anyone possibly justify £1K on a telecommunication device.? But, I forget, they come free with a contract.:rolleyes:
I am just like you, I lease nothing, I buy everything often for cash
on the nail, cars vans property and that includes day to day plumbing and heating stuff. all my accounts are settled by myself every Friday or
Saturday am each week ...I like meeting my suppliers they are my friends ....and my customers are ALWAYS are left in no doubt that it is
payment on finish after a reasonable deposit
but I have been around here for 20+ years and my boys ...old men now
live in this area.....we are going to,stop,next year and sell the busines
chking

If someone goes to repair a boiler 10 years old or older quite often It can open up a can of worms for the gas installer ie water leaks some where else on the appliance and you have now inherited a problem you need to fix you may have given a fixed price repair so this is also the reason a lot of boilers are replaced as well because the engineer knows it’s not worth the potential hassle

The problem there is not the boiler but the business model. And, outside of a FPR, an inability to construct T&C’s to enable a professional approach

Reply to What do you think of my plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This sounds like an examination question but it really is a problem two different plumbers have been unable to resolve after spending several...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15i condenser boiler which is about 13 years old. There is a separate hot water tank. Recently the fan in the...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Baxi Ecoblue System boiler which was recently serviced just before Christmas. There has since been a constant but slow drip...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock