Discuss What do you think of my plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 110856

I have a Baxi Duo Tec , fitted 10 years ago. No real problems until very recently. My plumber has serviced it every year and most recently two months ago. We put the heating on for the first time since about April just over a week ago. It wouldn't come on. Had no problems with hot water. Plumber comes out changes a part £100 fee. Next day the heating works but no hot water. Plumber comes out £40 fee. Hot water is a bit temperamental for a day, running hot then warm then stops altogether. Boiler starts making clanging noises. Never heard this before. Plumber says boiler system is now 'full of rubbish ' and he will contact Baxi. He says I may need a new boiler? This doesn't sound right to me. Can experienced plumbers please reply with advice.

This plumbing company was recommended and does work for lots local people. Father and son company but son now doing the work. I just don't think what he is saying is reasonable. I think he's contacting Baxi for advice.

If he has serviced it for ten years he must have some experience?

Have you asked him what he means by 'full of rubbish'?

Ten years is the expected life span of such a boiler and it may be time for a new one but you are entitled to a professional opinion to help you make an informed decision on the next move.

If he is not offering you the help you need I think you would be better off with another Heating Engineer.

It's not unusual to ask the manufacturer for advice, if he suggests the the boiler is beyond ecconomic repair get a second opinion or ask Baxi.

I'm still waiting for plumber to call. The first part he changed was something to do with the boiler changing between hot water and heating. Think the 'rubbish ' he was talking about might refer to dirty water that came out of the boiler. This was relayed by my wife as I wasn't there. Just feel we have done everything right with this boiler, serviced every year, most recently about 8 weeks ago. What's the point of this if not to pick up problems. My parents boiler is 25 years + old and still going. They don't even get theirs serviced.

Boilers aren’t made to last 25 years any more mate(sorry to say) a service is only to check what is visible and to make sure that the boiler is safe. It is very hard to see what is going on inside the boiler.

I'm still waiting for plumber to call. The first part he changed was something to do with the boiler changing between hot water and heating. Think the 'rubbish ' he was talking about might refer to dirty water that came out of the boiler. This was relayed by my wife as I wasn't there. Just feel we have done everything right with this boiler, serviced every year, most recently about 8 weeks ago. What's the point of this if not to pick up problems. My parents boiler is 25 years + old and still going. They don't even get theirs serviced.
Boilers in this modern world are designed to last approximately 10 years depending on use. If you have had it serviced regular as you say, then you have done all you can do.

Things do eventually break down and the chance is that all parts on your boiler will be worn to the same degree.

I would ask the Engineer his opinion on the general condition and his gut feeling over it. You can always get a second opinion. Sometimes they are worth the repair cost but ultimately and in the not to distant future it will need to be replaced anyway. You should consider putting your money toward a new one. The recent batch so to speak, tend to have a long parts and labour warranty.

Reply to What do you think of my plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This sounds like an examination question but it really is a problem two different plumbers have been unable to resolve after spending several...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15i condenser boiler which is about 13 years old. There is a separate hot water tank. Recently the fan in the...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, Baxi Ecoblue System boiler which was recently serviced just before Christmas. There has since been a constant but slow drip...
Replies
Views
Back