Search the forum,

Discuss WHAT CAN I DO WITH THESE PIPES IN LOFT - Survey says DIY standard?! in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All
Newbie so please bear with. We are selling our old house - built 1880. The purchaser has shared their survey report which states that the pipe work in the loft is of DIY standard. This was done before we bought house 10 years ago, and everything works fine but obviously I have to try and address this for the sale. I have attached the photos taken by the surveyor and his comments.

Here are the surveyors comments:
The majority of pipework is not visible as it is concealed within the fabric of the building. The PVC cold water tank in the main roof space is poorly supported and also requires to be insulated. Old lagging to pipework would also benefit from upgrading. The small header tank would benefit from similar upgrading. Exposed pipework is of a DIY standard and is likely to require some upgrading. You are advised to have the cold water installation inspected by a qualified plumber and obtain an estimate in respect of all recommended upgrading works.

Would be very very grateful if anyone could give advice on how to insulate the tank and lag the pipes. It’s so hard to get anyone to
come and look at the job. Do you think the pipes can be upgraded without significant upheaval and cost? The buyers have pulled out of the sale and I don’t want the same issue coming up when the next survey takes place .

Attachments

• 54A6BF6E-5EE6-4026-AB24-AE6C6BB418F7.png
    54A6BF6E-5EE6-4026-AB24-AE6C6BB418F7.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • F07D3B2A-B80C-4AEA-99F1-562AF60320B7.png
    F07D3B2A-B80C-4AEA-99F1-562AF60320B7.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
Tbh need a sheet of ply 18mm thick and that should do it turn the water off drain via hot water tap eg big tank will be nearly empty once water has stopped running

Cut the 18mm ply 8” bigger than the tank all around and lift one edge of the tank and slide the 18mm ply under done the little one you should be able to do it without draining

Pipework is fine just make sure some fibreglass is over it

You can get tank insulation kits

There's worse work than somewhere or other that in practically every house in the nation. Have you suggested your buyers try Scandinavia? But, yes cisterns need proper support all as detailed by Shaun.

Reply to WHAT CAN I DO WITH THESE PIPES IN LOFT - Survey says DIY standard?! in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock