Search the forum,

Discuss what boiler to choose? any help appreciated in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jasone30

Hi,

Can anyone advise on what boiler to choose from the list of these 3:

1. Potterton Titanium 28KW Combi Boiler - 1500 fitted with 7 year potterton warranty
2. Worchester 28I junior combi - 1650 - fitted with 2 year worchester warranty
3. Worchester 30si compact - 1750 - fitted with 5 year worchester warranty

The worchester 30si compact was the one British Gas quoted me on (£3500 supplied and fitted WTF??), the other two are from a local supplier / fitter but there is only 250 price difference between the 3 if i wanted the model british gas was going to supply.

Im just doing general research, to see what would be the best one long term. I have a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom larger than average flat . I have around 11 liters per minute water flow - water pressure in the flat is crazy so my shower is extremely powerful. very unlikely bath, and shower, and heating would all be running together but would like to cover that base if possible. (shower and heating at the same time / bath heating at same time would be more likely)

total of 8 rads in property

many thanks

Hi Jason

Firstly, none of these options are bad. If it was me, I would go for the Potterton, but I would probably ask my installer to upgrade it to the 33kw version. The Titanium is built on a well proven platform and is a good mix of price/performance/warranty. Having said that, Worcester are the market leader, and their aftersales reputation is very strong. For the cost difference, trading up to the longer warranty of the SI would seem to make sense if you decide to go Worcester.

Later on tonight you will get dozens of different GSR engineers giving you a wide range of opinions - all completely contradicting each other!

At this time of year, this question comes up approximately once every 4 - 6 hours so you might like to use the search function.

All combis will prioritise hot water when there is a demand for it - so your heating will stop when the bath or shower is running, but it is for a relatively short period so you probably won't notice. There are very few combis that will cope with two hot water outlets running full whack at the same time. None of them are cheap - for most people with combis they simply accept that only one hot water outlet can run at a time.

The upgrade suggested above (to 33kw Potterton) will only have one effect - your hot water will either be 17.8% hotter, or you will have 17.8% more of it. It will have no effect on your heating because 28kw is already more than enough for a 2 bed flat - even one that is larger than average, unless its absolutely massive.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks very much for that...i am very torn still between worchester and potterton...but everything ive read or heard or seen so far all say go the extra and get the worchester.....

did you show the independants your bg quote, if so get some other without telling them the bg quote. as said I wouldnt use either and install an intergas boiler, less to go wrong and 5 yr warranty, 10 on the heat ex. Mine would be £2.5 k to fit a intergas of same output as wb, so now how do things look :)

I would fit Baxi platinum 10 years on all components and it's the titanium daddy. The wb are pap. Also BG well over priced as always. Get independent in as better service, better job and more cost effective as the warranty is free with the boiler but with BG you end up paying for a cover plan after year 1!!!!

did you show the independants your bg quote, if so get some other without telling them the bg quote. as said I wouldnt use either and install an intergas boiler, less to go wrong and 5 yr warranty, 10 on the heat ex. Mine would be £2.5 k to fit a intergas of same output as wb, so now how do things look :)

hi no never showed them a quote, but my budget doesnt stretch that far, im pushhing to the limits with £1750 if i go for that model, plus is there enough knowledge about intergas boilers out there at present?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what boiler to choose? any help appreciated in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock