Search the forum,

Discuss Wet vac ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scotty plumber

Guy's, i've been plumbing for 9 and a bit years, work with about 7-8 different plumber's, but it wasn't until i got on to this forum that i have learned about the wet-vac?? Tell me more please, i do domestic plumbing like maintenance,repairs and the odd bathroom and kitchen! Thank's in advance

What all is it used for any tips???

Sucking up anything that's wet. So if you spill a lil water. Or want to remove a air lock in gravity fed pipe
Emptying a drain. Emptying a saniflow

Of course a wet vac.

How any plumber manages without one is beyond me, I would not be without mine.

no messing with bowls and bath towels for emptying rads or cutting water filled pipes, just vac it straight up.

Very handy when you cant solder for water dripping out the pipe, just stick the wet vac on the end and suck it dry! :winkiss:

They are awesome! Best use is removing rads, turn off valves, crack nut, put vac on tail and open bleed nipple. Done in two minutes! Happy Days!!!

Of course a wet vac.

How any plumber manages without one is beyond me, I would not be without mine.

no messing with bowls and bath towels for emptying rads or cutting water filled pipes, just vac it straight up.

Very handy when you cant solder for water dripping out the pipe, just stick the wet vac on the end and suck it dry! :winkiss:

so ur saying that instead of putting a bowl under the rad,, u just turn the vac on and place the nosel under the valve to catch the water? thanks

Not under the valve, but over the open tail. Undo the valve rad side, catch the drips and wait for the air lock. then pop the vac over the end and open the bleed and release the water

Not under the valve, but over the open tail. Undo the valve rad side, catch the drips and wait for the air lock. then pop the vac over the end and open the bleed and release the water

What is wrong with just undoing the nuts, putting your thumbs over the tails and lifting it out full. You can do up to a 1200 without burning your face :lol:

Can't believe you're all talking about opening up your nuts and emptying them into a vac!

on some rads though, when i undo valve,, i struggle to get my finger over the tail, to stop the water as its so tight,, just dont under stand how u get the end of hoover on it..

yeah wet vacs are great, removing a toilet ?? suck out the trap and cistern

black sludge spillage ?? dont touch it get the hoover right on it

still water left in heating pipes after draining ? get the hoover on it

draining a radiator ? as said before crack the nut and put hoover beside nut the suction will still get the water

draining the remains of a cylinder or F&E tank

and so forth

Hello Friends

Is this one any good do you think?

DeWalt DC515N Wet N Dry VAC 18 Volt Bare Unit

Cheers

Rocket

I wouldn't bother with a little battery one it won't hold hardly any water and the batt will last 2 minutes...
The Wickes one is popular... I use a Charles (Wet version of Henry) as I got it free.

Mines is a Karcher from Screw fix. Used mainly to suck the remaining water out of a wc cistern when doing a syphon or fill valve change. Good for emptying loos for removal and for cleaning up the job. The karcher also allows for dust extraction and I can connect my table saw, jigsaw, router and anything else that has a hose attachment and it also has an extra power supply to connect tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Karcher got it from tesco £50.00 direct and paid using tesco vouchers and delivered to local store for free

Steve

I use VAX - does the trick for me, 10 quid from a car boot.

Wickes have one for £30 has anyone used it ?
I've used it. As long as you use it on wet only, it's OK. Sometimes it is a pain to put the air filter on properly for the dry mode. If you are not careful - the room will be full of dust. DOH!

I'm considering making a bit of a mod to mine soon because it doesn't hold that much water (even though it's a big old beast)...
Thinking of fitting a flange to the base of the tank into a a full bore valve out to a hose barb.

What I'm thinking is that when I'm trying to drain a rad or some awkward pipework that holds more water than the vac, I'll be able to run a hose to drain and when the vac fills up put my thumb over the rad tail / pipe end, switch off the vac and open the valve to dump the contents down the hose to drain....
Will only take one hand to flick the vac off and open the valve for a minute... Should help to keep the job nice and speedy without the extra mess or hassle of having to re seal a joint to go and empty the vac :)

What do you guys reckon, good idea or pointless pondering by a tired bloke?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will chuck a couple of pics up when it's done, either of my newly improved or newly broken vac! :)

I always used to keep a wet/dry vac in the van but just for servicing purposes and never used the vac as a wet vac, now after reading this am kicking myself because I gave it away a few years ago due to lack of use and now the ideas for using the wet side have just convinced me that I need to invest in another one.

Never needed one in 38 years so i think i can manage without one for another 10 or 12 or however many until i retire on drop.

Never needed one in 38 years so i think i can manage without one for another 10 or 12 or however many until i retire on drop.
Thats what my mate said when I asked him to invest in pipe benders all them years ago, whats wrong with the spring and yer knee they been ok for me for the last 40 years. ?? Anyway he bought them and still he used his spring....lol.

He's just used to it and it is hard to teach an old dug a new trick. When his knees are too sore he will learn :smile:

BTW Welcome along here Goz666 (i'll call you Goz). Hope you enjoy this place but it can get addictive :lol:

Hi tamz!
How do you empy a rad without spilling much water?
And does it mean you use compression fittings where you could use the end feed?

Taking a rad off i lift them out full and empty them outside. 2 cloths to catch the couple of spoonful of water spilled. The size of rad you can lift full on your own depends on the length of your arms and how strong you are.
I rarely use compressions and even more rarely push fits. There are ways to do everything in this trade if you know how and none of them involve using a hoover :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wet vac ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock