Search the forum,

Discuss Wet underfloor efficiency in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David_Jones

Hello,

I need some advice on my DIY wet under floor system I installed in my new build house.
Basically I have fitted JS speedfit15mm pipe into 100mm insulation foam board by routering the pipe slot into the foam and then pressing the pipe into the foam slot at 200mm centres.

I then placed chip board flooring on top of the foam/pipe setup.

Its all quite tidy and I was chuffed with my efforts.

However I have been told that I should have user spreader plates in my under floor construction (these are aluminium plates that hold the water pipes at 200mm centres) and help significantly distribute the heat from the water pipe into the rooms.

Is this true?

I assumed the spreader plates was just a way of holding the water pipes in place at 200mm centres and no efficiency gain

Or is some one just trying to drum up some extra work?.

But if it's right can anyone tell me how much efficiency I'm loosing?.

If its only 5% then its worth leaving however if its 100% them I best fit the plates.

I would be grateful for any relevant feed back.

Thanks, Dave

Dave, have you made your own 'grooves' in the insulation board or was it a purpose made board for UFH.

No buddy. You need plates or a biscuit mix the biscuit is 10000% better as its a thermal mass and it dosnt ting

Also by removing foil you have rendered the insulation unless as now it absorbs heat but won't transmit it. Foil reflects heat[emoji16]

Rip it up. Lower insulation by 30mm and flip insulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
How you know 200mm centres gives you the necessary heat input into the rooms?

What manifold set up have you?

What form of temperature control?

Lastly, where do you live? If the house comes up for sale I would want to make sure it wasn't near me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Wet underfloor efficiency in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
N
We have a weird 'dual' system in our 2 floor house we just rented out - meaning that the ground floor has an underfloor system and the top floor has a classic radiator system. Both are hooked up to the gas boiler (as well as the hot water tank/cylinder). I've never had underfloor heating before...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my house, in place of the garage, most would give me a suggestion to put in a) an extension to the existing boiler rad circuit & electric water heaters...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
Hi, I have two indirect water cylinders (Gledhill) connected to a gas boiler (Vaillant). The system is setup/programmed so that the tanks heat up twice a day for about 2 hours. When the tanks start to heat, one of them makes a loud vibrating noise, sometimes for about 15-20 mins, sometimes for...
Replies
Views
Hi, would anyone like to hazard a guess at what's causing this problem on the ground floor of our house? As you can see, the bottom of both sides of the door frame are wet. The doorway is nowhere near any windows and is positioned pretty much in the centre of the house. Could this be water...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock