Discuss WB 30CDi advice on recommended CH temperature differential. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plb

In the commissioning notes (page 34) it refers to a differential of 20 deg C across the heating system. Is this a misprint and should it read 20 Deg F which would equate to 11 C which I understand is the normal differential.

No misprint, you need this diferential on all condensing boilers to achieve dew point (57 degrees) on the return.
Your quite right about the lower teperature needed on non condensing older boilers.

OK thanks for the explanation.
So I take it that when balancing the radiators I should try and achieve a 20 Deg C temperature differential between the flow and return on each radiator.

BTW, I will be using Drayton TRV’s and their Commissioning instructions quote setting lockshields to achieve an 11 Deg C differential which is a little confusing as I assume that their instructions should be relevant as regards the current range of condensing boilers.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think you will get the same temperature at the radiator as at the boiler because of heat loss on the pipe run, so you won't be getting the same differential between flow and return. imho

So I take it that when balancing the radiators I should try and achieve a 20 Deg C temperature differential between the flow and return on each radiator.

BTW, I will be using Drayton TRV’s and their Commissioning instructions quote setting lockshields to achieve an 11 Deg C differential which is a little confusing as I assume that their instructions should be relevant as regards the current range of condensing boilers.

To be fair to Drayton, what they actually say is: The lockshield valve needs adjusting to achieve the design temperature drop between flow and return (usually 11°C).

Most systems will have been designed for an 11C differential as radiator outputs are stated when it is that (actually 10°C, but who's arguing about 1 degree!). However if a 20°C differential is used, this is significant as the radiator output will be nearly 20% less than that shown in the manufacturer's catalogue.

Of course if it is an existing system, installed many years ago, and the insulation of the house has been increased since installation, the rads will now be oversized. So balancing for a 20°C differential may be possible.

It's more important that the differential is the same, within reason, than that it is a particular value.

i don't think you will get the same temperature at the radiator as at the boiler because of heat loss on the pipe run, so you won't be getting the same differential between flow and return. imho
The actual temperatures may vary slightly due to losses in the pipes, but the differential should be nearly the same.

To give a simple example:

Assuming you have a 15kW boiler with a 20°C differential, the flow rate will be 15 ÷ (20 x 4.18) = 0.18 litres /sec.

The heat loss from uninsulated 22mm copper pipe with a 55°C differential between the water (75°C) and the room (20°C) is about 40W per meter.

If you have a three metre length of pipe, the heatloss will be 120W. The temperature drop along the pipe will therefore be 0.12 ÷ (4.18 x 0.18) = 0.16°C. The total drop around a 50m circuit would only be about 2.5°C.

It would be different if it was a one-pipe system.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the useful and informative replies.
Just to be clear this is a new install and will have slightly oversized radiators.
So, as I understand it I will be ok to use say a 10 – 11 Deg C temperature differential as a 20 Deg C differential may be difficult to achieve.

Just to be clear this is a new install and will have slightly oversized radiators.
So, as I understand it I will be ok to use say a 10 – 11 Deg C temperature differential as a 20 Deg C differential may be difficult to achieve.
I assume you have the Regular version of the 30CDi (not the combi or the system) with a separate pump.

Follow the balancing instructions and set the pump so you get as near to 20C as you can or slightly less. Then balance the rads to the same temperature. You will find that the temperature differentials across the boiler and rads will have changed when you get to the last rad. So you will have to go round several times to get them all approximately the same.
If necessary, adjust the pump speed to maintain the correct differential.

The important thing is that the differentials are, if possible, the same. This then ensures that they are all getting their fair share of the heat.

You say the rads are slightly oversized; how were the sizes determined? They may be more oversized than you think.

I assume you have the Regular version of the 30CDi (not the combi or the system) with a separate pump.

Follow the balancing instructions and set the pump so you get as near to 20C as you can or slightly less. Then balance the rads to the same temperature. You will find that the temperature differentials across the boiler and rads will have changed when you get to the last rad. So you will have to go round several times to get them all approximately the same.
If necessary, adjust the pump speed to maintain the correct differential.

The important thing is that the differentials are, if possible, the same. This then ensures that they are all getting their fair share of the heat.

You say the rads are slightly oversized; how were the sizes determined? They may be more oversized than you think.

Apologies, I should have stated that it is a WB 30CDi Combi. :blush5:
The Pump Map is set at default (Proportional pressure high)
The radiators have been oversized by approximately 25% using an appropriate software package.
BTW, do you guys recommend using one of those Infrared DigitalThermometers for measuring the temperatures. If so can you recommend one that is reasonably priced and reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to WB 30CDi advice on recommended CH temperature differential. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock