Search the forum,

Discuss Water leaking from Myson Velaire oil boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

D

David Killinger

Hi - I have a Myson Velaire oil boiler which was installed in 1988. The boiler has been very reliable only needing a good service and rarely a replacement part. Today I noted water on the floor and it looks like the water jacket is leaking, can it be repaired ?

I am aware most will say replace it with a new more efficient boiler, however the boiler is situated in the middle of the house (a dining room) with no outside wall and the boiler uses a flue liner in the old chimney. I cant fit a new boiler in the kitchen as it is very small with storage at a premium and I don't want an outside version, Ideally I would like to replace the boiler like for like but I know they aren't available. Can someone give me an idea what I can do and what's available.

Many thanks
David

With the prices of energy increasing as they do you’d be wise to have a new boiler installed.
If you’re not happy with that idea then you might be able to find a metal worker to patch your boiler or maybe find something on eBay.
A new high efficiency condensing boiler will save you a noticeable amount of fuel and depending on how far you were prepared to go with an upgrade you can see even more savings in the long run.

You can get plastic flue liners for condensing boilers and condensate pumps for your very situation.

It's alright trying to patch it but you wont know to what extent the rot extends in the steel. At 34 years old it owes you nothing.

A farmer managed to get hold of a second hand shell which I fit for him, but only after I pressure tested it to check its soundness.

As the guys have said new boiler time.
Don't even consider trying to have it welded just a waste of time and money. I know I've tried! (Have been qualified to ASME 1X G6)

Reply to Water leaking from Myson Velaire oil boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock