Discuss water leak dry in morning leaks all day any help? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nick2010

i have a water leaking in my garden and it seems to leak all day but then it dries up overnight. it trickles down my garden not sure why it stops at night. can anybody help? south staffs said it was definitely a leak but did not know where, they could not wait to get out of my house. i have capped off my pipes going to the extension but this has not solved the problem. i think it has been leaking for a couple of months before i found out. i could really do with some good advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be a brolen drain or sewer. People don't use the loo, wash. bathe, do the washing much over night ??

the environmental health came down and said it was a water leak and not sewer problem , no washing overnight

Hi. Have a listen at the stopcock at boundary. (put a long piece of dowel on stopcock and the other to your ear (broom handle perhaps). Get the hang of it with a main tap running in the house, turn off stop valve in house and listen for movement of water. If its evident you have a leak underground, start digging around any damp spots. Good Luck

Personally if I had a leak outside (not on a new pipe) I would call in the water authority. If you look at their website they will usually do do much work free. If nothing else they will confirm if it is mains and trace the line of the pipes. I have a suspected leak here. They will renew the outside stop tap and put a temporary meter on it to confirm. Thay will try and pinpoint the leak and repair. If pipes are shot they will replace up to 15m FOC.

Is it possible that it is a small leak and when no one uses water their is more pressure available to increase seepage?

I would approach the problem

1. Establish if this leak is on your service pipe or a neighbours by as above having a listen to you and their the water pipe at the ourside shut off valve. Turn all outlets in your home off and then see if the water meter is spinning or the sound of running water can still be heard. Turn the service valve in the house off and then establish if water is still running

2. Some utilities turn off pumps at night and lower the service pressure
so that might explain the intermittent nature of the leak

3. Then start digging carefully if it is your supply

A diagram/plan might assist potential helpers as would some idea of the volume involved

Centralheatking

thanks everyone i am kind of wondering if it might be a sewer leak as i have traced my water pipes at home and none are leaking. i will c what happens in next couple of days. pillar to post by the authorities but will see..thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to water leak dry in morning leaks all day any help? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock